The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 13, 2013, 05:08 PM   #1
SC4006

AR500 steel target question

So I just ordered a 12" gong style AR500 target from Shootsteel.com, and I have some questions about AR500 steel in general before I receive it and start using it. I'll mainly be shooting it with my handgun and .22, but my concern is shooting it with surplus 7.62x54r with my mosin. I know a lot of the surplus stuff is steel core, so what would that do to the target at around 100 yards? I know it has no chance of going through it, but will it dimple the target? Also, what will happen to a steel core bullet upon impact, will it just smush up or ricochet somewhere?

They say 5 out of 4 people are bad at math.
Old June 13, 2013, 06:05 PM   #2
allaroundhunter

Yes, it will dimple it. And yes, it would do more damage than a soft point round (which is what I would recommend). Now, if you make it free swinging it will be damaged less than if it were static.
Old June 13, 2013, 08:39 PM   #3
SC4006

Thanks for the reply, I guess I'll be using soft points on it mainly. I do also plan on making it free swinging.

They say 5 out of 4 people are bad at math.
Old June 13, 2013, 09:38 PM   #4
CDR_Glock

AR500 steel target question

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC4006 View Post
So I just ordered a 12" gong style AR500 target from Shootsteel.com, and I have some questions about AR500 steel in general before I receive it and start using it. I'll mainly be shooting it with my handgun and .22, but my concern is shooting it with surplus 7.62x54r with my mosin. I know a lot of the surplus stuff is steel core, so what would that do to the target at around 100 yards? I know it has no chance of going through it, but will it dimple the target? Also, what will happen to a steel core bullet upon impact, will it just smush up or ricochet somewhere?
You may want to check with the maker but usually any rifle more than 5.56 needs to go to 150 yards. Someone shot my Arntzen Target and it dimpled. It must have been some sort of 22 rifle. The projectiles get reflected back down at a 45 degree angle in the ground in front of the target.

For handguns up to 357 magnum, I keep it at 15 yards. 44 magnum needs to be further out. you can get splashback. I don't shotgun at close range, either.
Old June 13, 2013, 09:57 PM   #5
allaroundhunter

Re: AR500 steel target question

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDR_Glock View Post
You may want to check with the maker but usually any rifle more than 5.56 needs to go to 150 yards. Someone shot my Arntzen Target and it dimpled. It must have been some sort of 22 rifle. The projectiles get reflected back down at a 45 degree angle in the ground in front of the target.

For handguns up to 357 magnum, I keep it at 15 yards. 44 magnum needs to be further out. you can get splashback. I don't shotgun at close range, either.
Most rifle minimum is 100 yards. Don't shoot a .22-250 at steel inside of about 250 yards, however, it is like a hot knife through butter.
Old June 14, 2013, 08:45 AM   #6
taylorce1

All the AR 500 plate I've purchased in the past has been good for pretty much any rifle with a MV of less than 3000 fps at 100 yards (don't own a .50 BMG). If your rifle starts at 3000 or faster move the plate back another 100 yards. Don't use steel core rounds period and avoid solid copper at 100 yards seems to help the plates last longer as well.
Old June 14, 2013, 09:07 AM   #7
allaroundhunter

Re: AR500 steel target question

Deleted, wrong thread.
Old June 15, 2013, 09:04 AM   #8
g.willikers

If you want to use inexpensive ammo, that might damage your new steel target, make duplicates out of thick wood, just for that ammo.
Wood makes surprisingly good targets and holds up quite well with solid bullets.
Cheap and easy to make, too.
Just a thought.
Old June 20, 2013, 05:54 PM   #9
DpSyChO

I'm going to guess your gong is 3/8" or 10mm thick?

Do you have a local scrap iron yard?

I have one close by and they will sell anything that comes in for how ever much they are currently getting for scrap (they'll buy from you for $.10 a lb and sell to you at $.15 a lb). I try to swing by at least once a week see some "drops" come in from the local interstate sign place all the time. These short lengths of tube where they square up the ends or cut to length but even better there are is also the cutouts where they make the bases for the signs that go at stores. The stores along the interstate have taller signs and thus thicker bases. I have a 1" thick x 12" square that I picked up there a few months ago. It's A36 material and I haven't had a chance to set it up to shoot it but I'm sure it will withstand anything I have in the safe.
Old June 20, 2013, 06:17 PM   #10
g.willikers

Yes, steel targets, that don't quite stand up to the ammo, can make ricochets.
When they develop an irregular surface, they can shoot back.
And I have some scars to show.

Last edited by g.willikers; June 20, 2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old June 20, 2013, 07:15 PM   #11
DpSyChO

The guys I work with and I have come up with a way to help cut down on ricochets. We'll weld chain link to the top of the gong on either corner /side. The link will be welded so the link is upright, but length ways from you while you are shooting. I dont know if that makes sense, but pretend the 0 is a chain link the part beside the arrow is welded to the gong ->0 . This way the attachment point the gong is hung from is 1/2" or so from the back surface of the gong. This gives the gong a slight tilt downward . The size/weight of the gong will determine what size chain length to use to vary the tilt, ie, bigger link = further from gong surface and more tilt. On square we'll do the two top corners, on round we'll put a link at 10:30 and 1:30.
This does not prevent ricochets, but the slight angle seems to help divert the bullet downward more than just hanging plumb.
Old June 22, 2013, 07:55 PM   #12
Boomer58cal

I do something similar. Work pretty good.

Boomer
Old June 24, 2013, 09:54 AM   #13
PawPaw

We like shooting steel, and done properly, it's plenty safe. We've got a 100 yard range on family property and I cut down an old swingset frame to hang targets in front of the berm. I cut it down to four feet and the targets hang at two feet, supported by old strapping. I prefer strapping to chain, mainly because a stray shot will cut chain, but it will simply zip through the strapping. Old firehose works great too. Every so often, your local fire dept will have to re-certify their fire hose. Those that don't make the cut are normally discarded. If you know a fireman, ask them about old fire hose.

I've bought a 9" and a 6" target from Quality Targets. They're really nice targets and after a year (hundreds of rounds), they're in great shape. We've fired everything at them, to include 7mm Magnum. All of those rounds were hunting bullets, we don't have any steel core.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com