The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 10, 2007, 05:54 PM   #1
ruger01

How many times to load

Hi,

Just wanted to know how many times is safe to reload these .223 cartriges brands are Federal American Eagle, Remington and Prvi Partisan brass. I only fire these reloads in the same bolt action rifle using very mild charges for punching holes in paper. Loads are 24 grains of ADI Benchmark 2 (similar to your Hogdon Benchmark) a Nosler 55 Grain SP "shots" projectile and a CCI small rifle primer. Am neck sizing a trimming to length each time have reloaded these cartridges twice now - how many times can i do this safely and also how long before full length resizing would anyone have any suggestions?

(they still chamber perfectly and the brass looks fine)

Thank you in advance,

Ruger01.
Old April 10, 2007, 06:23 PM   #2
rwilson452

There is no real way to tell. Pulling a number out of thin air I would suggest 5 times. I would then anneal the neck and full length resize.
Old April 10, 2007, 07:18 PM   #3
James A. Mullins

According to my Hornady Book. There ar 3 checks to make before reloading any brass. With mild loads or middle range loadings, you can expect 20 to 25 or more loads per case. The first test is to see how much your cases grow in length after each firing. If there is no grouth after resizing for 4/5 loads you have a mild load. Next is to take a paper clip or other wire, and bend a sharp 90 degree angle to the clip. Take the clip and slowly drag the clip up the inside of the case. If you feel a bump down low on the case discard the brass as the case could seperate. Next if the primers back out after firing or other wise shows signs of being loose discard the brass. The last one is real easy, look at the neck of the brass cracks will show up on neck. Some times these can be anealed for longer life. A new Hornady book is worth the cost as this is fully explained. You should keep each manufacture seperated from each other. Good luck.
James

Last edited by James A. Mullins; April 10, 2007 at 07:41 PM. Reason: content
Old April 10, 2007, 08:41 PM   #4
Zippy06

I reload them, till they crack.
G17, S&W 686, G22C, Colt H-Bar, Marlin, Savage 10FP. Be safe. Be happy
Old April 11, 2007, 05:38 PM   #5
ruger01

Thanks for the replies, i guess by keeping a fairly close eye on the cases plays a big part in how often as mentioned i more than likely will stick to a bout 5 reloadings then discard.