The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 10, 2016, 03:53 PM   #1
chevyhelm

mag extension install on 870

Hello! I've just obtained Wilson combat +2 mag extension for my 870, and need advise on install! I am aware that there are 2 dimples that need to be removed to allow clearance for additional shells in the mag. tube. I was just curious on how you guys went about this! I do know Brownells sells a tool for $80 that has mixed reviews, but I really don't want to spend that kind of money.... I have heard of drilling or filing ? Any input would be appreciated! This shotguns primary use is home defense, but may be restored to original setup for field use. Thanks!
Old January 10, 2016, 05:08 PM   #2
Virginian

Swage it out with a socket or grind it out with a Dremel. Both work.
Old January 12, 2016, 09:46 AM   #3
chevyhelm

update

well after lots of research, i decided to go the dremmel method. i heard too many horror stories about the socket, and found on another forum, that it is possible to remove dimples from inside of mag tube without grinding all the way through the mag tube. from the outside it looks like nothing was even done, but on inside it is smooth, allowing shells and follower to move freely fore and aft in the mag tube. i put birchwood casey cold blue on exposed metal and it looks like the factory did it! hope this could help ! shoutout to wilson combat/ scattergun technology's mag extension, it is very nice! would reccomend !