The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old August 7, 2011, 01:30 PM   #1
8shot357

My new open carry conspicuously inconspicuous

I just did the Wal-mart walk last night with my new open carry. First, I'm not really into open carry here in Vegas, but this is to cool not to open carry.

It's a little bulky, and cowboy'ish, and it a little cheesily built for $50, but it work's. I only got one strange look, but I was checking out that red necks hot girl friend. Not sure if he was looking at my 2006 Super Bowl T-shirt (Detroit), or my gun out in plain site.

FYI, it's a new design with a strong magnet, and a flip over lever.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gun Naa new buckle.jpg (26.4 KB, 1126 views)
Old August 7, 2011, 01:46 PM   #2
farmerboy

Not a fan at all of open carry even if you could. If something happened youd be a for sure target. carry conceiled and you are an indivual Joe until threat is eliminated. I wear a gun open at work (Police) but conceiled off duty to blend in and rock someones world when and if I have to.
Old August 7, 2011, 01:57 PM   #3
Sailor1911

I agree. Lose the element of surprise and put yourself at a distinct disadvantage.
Old August 7, 2011, 02:32 PM   #4
Helios

I can't decide if this is a serious thread or a joke.
Old August 7, 2011, 02:41 PM   #5
sliponby

I consider it a joke. If I was to open carry (I never do) I would carry a substantial full sized pistol rather than a pea shooter
Old August 7, 2011, 03:20 PM   #6
farmerboy

I agree think it's a joke but still don't get open carry when you can unless you are LEO and on duty. Just my thinking
Old August 7, 2011, 03:41 PM   #7
Lost Sheep

It ain't the gun, it's the shooter

In the vein of posts 5 and 6, I just HAVE to ask.

Are you sure it wasn't YOU he was checking out? The girl could just be his beard.

Lost Sheep
Old August 7, 2011, 04:33 PM   #8
8shot357

OP

Quote:
First, I'm not really into open carry here in Vegas,.......
Not quit the responses I expected, but it's still interesting to get some feed back.

I know, it's a little cocky, but, you can't change me, and don't give me that (Ron White) "you can't fix stupid", I made it to 43 years, 20 years beyond my exp. date.
Old August 7, 2011, 06:04 PM   #9
WANT A LCR 22LR

I'm guessing some of the posters don't get it that the gun in question is on a belt buckle. From any distance it would be hard to tell that there is a real gun there and not just a buckle. Not knowing any better I'd think it was a belt buckle, . . . Even at that, I would not be checking out a guys stuff near his stuff. . . .

As for OC, I only do that for quick access in the summer otherwise is it covered by a jacket / sweat shirt in the winter. Even then, OC only occurs when going to the scrap metal yard in order to fend off the crack heads. ( or when I'm making the rounds to and from said scrap yard ) OC does not occur when going to " civilian " businesses.
Old August 7, 2011, 06:25 PM   #10
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
I just did the Wal-mart walk last night with my new open carry
I'm sorry, but the way I'm perceiving the situation is that the gun is being treated as a novelty rather than a weapon.
Old August 7, 2011, 08:40 PM   #11
Jeremiah/Az

I don't OC often, but I have in Walmart, grocery stores & the only comment I have ever received was an older man in Burger King ask me how to get a permit. This is Az. & OC is pretty common.
Old August 7, 2011, 11:11 PM   #12
farmerboy

I live in Texas and we dont have OC. I am a police officer so I could off duty but off duty I only carry conceiled for the reason stated earlier. I wouldnt care if it was common, its still not smart in my opinion. When I work I have prob. 25 lbs of gear that you tote around for 12 hrs and my reasons for police arent showing others what I can carry, they are strictly there for business to protect myself and others
Old August 8, 2011, 06:25 AM   #13
8shot357

Quote:
I'm guessing some of the posters don't get it that the gun in question is on a belt buckle. From any distance it would be hard to tell that there is a real gun there and not just a buckle. Not knowing any better I'd think it was a belt buckle, . . . Even at that, I would not be checking out a guys stuff near his stuff. . . .
Both ways, you are correct, it's a damned "Belt Buckle", and the girl in question was right in front of me, if she was ugly, I still would have looked at her.

Quote:
I'm sorry, but the way I'm perceiving the situation is that the gun is being treated as a novelty rather than a weapon.
Yes ser, in a way you are correct, but I do wear a belt, so the "Novelty" will wear off, but the belt/belt buckle stays.
Old August 8, 2011, 07:30 AM   #14
TheNocturnus

I'll be the first to say, looks great man. I like it. It may help that I am enamoured with the NAA mini revolvers right now. I want to get one but funds are short.

Is that the only gun that you are carrying? A gun is gun when you need it but I would want more than 5 shots of .22lr protecting me. Regardless, the gun on a belt buckle is just sweet.
Brain (Use this one the most)
Old August 8, 2011, 10:01 AM   #15
8shot357

Quote:
I'll be the first to say, looks great man. I like it.
Thanks, it is pretty cool. It really show's off my belly when I tuck in my shirt.

Quote:
It may help that I am enamoured with the NAA mini revolvers right now. I want to get one but funds are short.
Yep, I had to sell another gun to get this gun, and buckle, but it was a cheap (By rep, a ATM 380 backup) gun. But my profit ratio was double.

Quote:
Is that the only gun that you are carrying?

Quote:
A gun is gun when you need it but I would want more than 5 shots of .22lr protecting me. Regardless, the gun on a belt buckle is just sweet.
Hell no! I carry a hand cannon in comparison.
Old August 8, 2011, 03:55 PM   #16
Stressfire

First off, as looks go, that looks nicely done.

However, I would go to the question of whether or not that would actually be considered open carry - or if you could possibly get busted for illegal concealment due to the fact that, well...it looks like a belt buckle.

Is it out in the open? Well, yes. But is it obvious that it is a functioning weapon? To me, it looks like a harmless (except to fashion) belt buckle
Old August 8, 2011, 10:49 PM   #17
farmerboy

You do see alot of those. Yes they're cute. That's about it though also over priced I'n my opinion and actually they are open carry. Not legal to open carry, then that's what you'll get charged with.
Old August 8, 2011, 11:04 PM   #18
MikeNice81

Quote:
I agree think it's a joke but still don't get open carry when you can unless you are LEO and on duty. Just my thinking
In surveys done on convicted felons 60% admitted that they avoided committing crimes when they knew the victim was armed. About 40% admitted they would avoid a target they "thought" was armed.

With the average person's chance of needing their gun being so low, a further reduction of 60% would seem to nearly eliminate it. That alone seems like reason enough to me.

Armed and Considered Dangerous: A Survey of Felons and Their Firearms, James Wright and Peter Rossi, Aldine, 1986
Old August 9, 2011, 03:24 AM   #19
RsqVet

I am waiting to see someone do a buckle holster for seecamps.

Personally I think open carry is an ok choice if you have a GOOD holster, situational awareness and retention training . If not better to conceal.

I live in az and everytime I see someone oc with a 12 dollar nylon and Velcro holster I just kind of shudder and wonder.
Old August 9, 2011, 08:02 AM   #20
micromontenegro

Geez, boys, you're way too serious

That's a nice buckle, 8shot!
Old August 9, 2011, 09:07 AM   #21
Don P

Quote:
I agree. Lose the element of surprise and put yourself at a distinct disadvantage.
How often do you look at the belt buckles of people (men in particular)??? Do you really think Mr/Mrs. John Q. citizen is paying that close of attention? The bad guys sure as hell ain't looking at buckles.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old August 9, 2011, 10:09 AM   #22
spclPatrolGroup

So was the purpose of the trip to wallmart just to open carry and see peoples reactions, I guess that is how I read it when you say "I did the wallmart walk". I know there are people who do that, but flaunting a gun in anti gunners faces just to prove a point may hurt our cause more than help it. I guess that is why I prefer to conceal.
Old August 9, 2011, 01:04 PM   #23
8shot357

I went to Walmart to go shopping for food. The only thing I did differently was tuck in my shirt. Normally, it will be a concealed BUG under most of my shirt's. I do carry a .38spl snub also, FYI.

I like it, it's very convenient, and an easy way to carry, I didn't buy just to show off, I do wear a belt.

Sorry if you don't like it. No,....I'm not sorry.
Old August 9, 2011, 03:32 PM   #24
farmerboy

To MikeNice. Surveys? Please. Don't believe everything ya hear and if someone who attempts the chance with me off duty they very well may not get to answer questions for a survey!
Old August 9, 2011, 03:34 PM   #25
farmerboy

And to the guy/walmart shuffle. Sounds very immature to me. I hope you do carry a snuggle or something else, that lil gun will prob just get you a-- whooped
Closed Thread