The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old August 27, 2011, 03:07 PM   #1
TXGunNut

New Moulds-again

Couldn't stand it any longer, had to break in a couple of exciting new moulds. Was a little too hot but I couldn't wait any longer. One is a 330 gr .45 cal HP Gould boolit from Lyman, it's been in my casting box for months. The other is also a .45 cal but that's where the similarity ends. It's a TL 200 gr swc Lee commercial 6 cavity mould. Both moulds worked quite well once I figured out what they liked, seems all my moulds have different likes, these both like to be run pretty hot. I'm up to eight moulds now, think I need to start a notebook to record these little personality traits.
Thanks for the warning about the sprue lever, Studman. Mine's still in one piece thanks in part to your thread.
Wish I'd read the warning label on the lighter I used to smoke my moulds, said something about avoiding temps above 120 degrees. I carelessly left it on the table and as I was filling the mould something exploded and I ducked, expecting a tinsel shower. Soon pieces of debris started landing around me and I realized the lighter was missing, sort of. Heavier pieces landed a few feet away, others traveled over 15 feet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HOT 001.jpg (251.6 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg HOT 002.jpg (263.8 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg HOT 003.jpg (175.2 KB, 49 views)
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old August 27, 2011, 03:23 PM   #2
salvadore

Ever tell you about the time a bead of sweat rolled down my nose into the lead pot?

You are a sick freak Tex with no life. Casting bullets is for geeks and another thing.....oops, looks like its up to temp, gotta go....
Old August 27, 2011, 04:50 PM   #3
TXGunNut

You are a sick freak Tex with no life. -Sal

Well...yes, of course! Wondered for a moment where you were going with that. You're even more twisted than I am, its 106 headed for 109 around here now, was "only" 102 when I called it quits. Boolits were still too hot to pick up barehanded an hour or so ago.
No, haven't heard that story but I was very careful to never lean over the pot. Gloves did double duty today; kept my hands from getting burned and kept sweat from dripping into the pot.
Old August 27, 2011, 07:10 PM   #4
crowbeaner

Hey Tex; that Lyman HP mould will probably want it hot anyway. Mine likes the temp right up there to cast with no voids. Good thing about it is that you can squeeze them down to .452" and shoot them in a charcoal burner or a 460 Smith. 90 grains of Pyrodex RS and a T/C sabot will lay anything on earth down.
Old August 27, 2011, 07:35 PM   #5
armoredman

Sounds familiar, got a new mold last week, had to try it out, even with 109 temps and high monsoon humidty...30 minutes and I was done.
Sorry about the lighter, that's why my lighter is a Zippo!
Old August 27, 2011, 08:49 PM   #6
TXGunNut

Hey Tex; that Lyman HP mould will probably want it hot anyway. -Crowbeaner

You're exactly right, 750 made perfect (if a bit frosty) boolits in the new Lyman mould. New Lee worked great above 720 or so. Both moulds liked running hot as well.
Old August 27, 2011, 09:21 PM   #7
studman5578

Glad my pain abated the suffering of another . Thats a very nice pile of boolits you've got there. I've got the same lee mold but with the lube groves (I TL now but i'm not entirely convinced I'll never get a luber-sizer). Whats the hardness of the alloy you used?
Rev 5:13 "To him who sits on the throne and the Lamb be praise honor and glory and power, for ever and ever"
Old August 27, 2011, 09:57 PM   #8
TXGunNut

45acp boolits are straight ww's and the Gould boolits are ww's with just a touch (4oz tin to 15 #'s of ww's) of added tin.
I have a Lyman 4500 for BPCR and 45 Colt boolits but the TL system w/ Lee sizer seems to meet my needs better for the 45acp.
Nice pile indeed, thanks. I have about 650 45acp boolits lubed, sized and in the final lube drying stage in my reloading room. Too hot to shoot so I may have them loaded by this time tomorrow. As soon as I get them packaged I'll be able to focus on rifles again.

Last edited by TXGunNut; August 27, 2011 at 10:18 PM.
Old August 27, 2011, 11:19 PM   #9
Vance

8 molds? Maybe bullet casters anonymous is in order.
Hello, my name is Vance and I am addicted to bullet casting.
Nice pile of bullets Tex.
Old August 27, 2011, 11:45 PM   #10
TXGunNut

Eight moulds is nothing around here, Vance. Was pretty sure I only had six or seven but I took the opportunity to count while the alloy was coming up to temp.

My name is Mike and I'm in denial. Ya'll go ahead and share and do whatever you do and I'll sit here and daydream of silver streams...
Old August 28, 2011, 01:15 AM   #11
Geezerbiker

I have more than 8 each Lee and Lyman molds and 5 sets of Lyman handles. I guess that makes me a casting geek?

Tony
Old August 28, 2011, 07:43 AM   #12
armoredman

Got me beat, I only have 5 molds.
Old August 28, 2011, 09:15 AM   #13
TXGunNut

@ Crowbeaner: is it normal for Lyman HP moulds to like a hotter than normal alloy temp? I don't think my other Lyman moulds need the lead quite that hot. I think I need to start keeping a notebook.
Old August 28, 2011, 09:51 AM   #14
studman5578

2 molds and going strong! I'm eyeing 2 more as well....
Rev 5:13 "To him who sits on the throne and the Lamb be praise honor and glory and power, for ever and ever"
Old August 28, 2011, 11:06 AM   #15
snuffy

ONLY 8 molds? I have more like 80. Seriously, I haven't counted, but I'm sure it's around 40.

If I had to cast outside,,,--- well I wouldn't cast at all. I'd buy cast bullets from some supplier, probably MBC, Missouri bullets. But then I don't have a SWMBO telling me I can't bring the mess indoors! Outside in Wisconsin would mean I MIGHT be able to cast 15 days out of the year. BTW today is 75 F with a nice breeze, would be a good day to cast outside.

Try casting in conditions like this; 20 degrees, with a wind chill of -5!

Nice pile of boolits Tex. I hope they shoot good for you.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old August 28, 2011, 11:13 AM   #16
salvadore

Tex, hasn't that air conditioner thingy caught on in Texas yet? Maybe I'll count my moulds, more the 8, but probably not 80.
Old August 28, 2011, 11:24 AM   #17
TXGunNut

But then I don't have a SWMBO telling me I can't bring the mess indoors! -Snuffy

I don't have to clear the SWMBO hurdle, no successful applications for that position yet.
Yep, A/C working great! I just don't want to cast in my home and don't have a shop to work in @ the moment. I'm going to clean up my loading room today, maybe I can figure out how to make room for my casting operation in there. Floor is carpeted but I can cover that.
Sal; did you cast anything interesting yesterday or were you just yanking my chain?

Last edited by TXGunNut; August 28, 2011 at 03:00 PM.
Old August 28, 2011, 03:58 PM   #18
salvadore

Yeah I cast up some 454490s? A ray thompson design I think. Got for my rebarreled SAA. Shot up some swaged remingtons with so so results so i bid on this mold cause it has a GC....No one told me .45 gaschecks are 40+ per. Like you I need to clean up my reloading room, amazed at what a disaster it is.

The only good thing is everytime I open up a box its like Christmas.
Old August 28, 2011, 04:48 PM   #19
Geezerbiker

Until reading this thread, I considered my 16 or so molds a good start and me a rookie caster... I could go for at least a dozen more molds and a bunch of other miscellaneous bits to go with it...

Tony
Old August 28, 2011, 05:05 PM   #20
TXGunNut

Until reading this thread, I considered my 16 or so molds a good start and me a rookie caster... Geezerbiker

I've only been casting less than two years but I don't feel the number of moulds is a measure of a caster. 16 is a good start indeed but I need to pace myself, new moulds mean new projects and I have too many going now as it is.
Loading room looking goooood! Think I'll go load those boring 45's so I can get on with the rifle loading!!
Old August 28, 2011, 05:25 PM   #21
Vance

Yeah, I only have 2 molds with one coming in december from Saeco. I have one lee 2 cavity 9mm tumble lube 115gr round nose. That one works awesomely. I have one m-p molds 2 cavity 9mm 125 gr hollow point (round and/or penta hollow points), or I can turn the pins around and get a 130 gr round flat point. That is the one I am using right now. It is only getting better as I learn more about casting. The Saeco mold I have coming is for 357 magnum 200gr 4 cavity round flat point. I hope it does as well as the m-p mold does.

As I just bought a Ruger GP100, I will probably be setting the 9mm aside until the newness of the 357 wears off.
Old August 28, 2011, 06:25 PM   #22
Geezerbiker

I got a boost in that I got a good deal on a bunch old Lyman molds. I sold the ones I didn't want on eBay and with the proceeds bought other molds and handles. I still have a lot to learn about casting...

Tony
Old August 28, 2011, 07:37 PM   #23
TXGunNut

I have my next two project calibers picked out but haven't made any firm decisions on moulds. My 45-70/45-90 project is on it's third mould and my simple little 45acp project is on it's second mould. At this rate I'll be up over a dozen moulds before I run out of project calibers. Then I guess I'll have to add calibers, right?
How many of those moulds did you buy firearms for, Geezerbiker?
Old August 28, 2011, 09:11 PM   #24
Geezerbiker

When I scored on all the used molds, I had .430" molds and no gun for them. I now have 2 .44 mags, one revolver and a carbine.

I told my wife the universe was telling me I needed a .44 but she didn't go for that. I had to buy them on the sly. The rest of the molds were for guns I already had.

Tony
Old August 28, 2011, 09:12 PM   #25
GP100man

I don`t count any more !!! I cleaned up my neused 358311 it drops a nice round nosed bullet at 359 , polished out a ruff dropping cavity on my neused & HPed 357446 ,it drops a good round 360 swc.

Hopped on the mower to clean up some leaves from Madam Irene & smoked a pulley bearing so reheated the pot & dropped some more HPs.

I still gotta try the Bare bottomed 358156 & a 311041 for the dirty-30 !
So much to cast & shoot so little time !!!