The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 17, 2010, 06:49 PM   #1
brmfan

1 vs 2-piece scope mounts

For a hunting rifle that will most likely get bumped and banged around in hilly and rocky terrain, would there be any advantage with a 1 piece scope mount over a 2 piece? Specifically, I have a spare steel dovetail base that was used with an Accuracy International 1 piece mount (which I don't have anymore) and was considering getting a replacement mount and going with that setup since it seemed pretty solid.

My logic is that if the rifle were to get dropped or bang against a rock etc, the force would be spread out across the entire 1 piece mount as opposed to being focused directly on only 1 ring, thereby reducing a potential shift in zero. I had a buddy once loose a beautiful 8 point buck after dropping his rifle. He shot at it 3X at less than 150 yards and missed all 3 because his zero had shifted so much.
Old January 17, 2010, 07:06 PM   #2
1911rocks

Close?

I exclusively use Armalite one piece mounts for just the reason you stated. They are essentially there own platform. I know that the Armalite's are a Picatinny format, but I believe it's applicable http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.asp...9-bafe17a66e1e
Old January 17, 2010, 09:34 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

Rigidity is the way to go. One piece base.
Old January 19, 2010, 03:10 AM   #4
sholling

Have you looked at DedNuz (aka DNZ) mounts?

Old January 19, 2010, 09:51 PM   #5
rudy270

don't know

i use 2 peice because there easer to use an line up the rings, and if you drop your gun that hard even with a one peice the scope most likely going to get screw up
Old January 19, 2010, 10:12 PM   #6
Christchild

My Browning A-Bolt wears an EGW Aluminum Picatinny 1-piece base. I chose that base because 1, it's aluminum which is weather resistance, and 2, 1-piece which is strength. I also originally bought the Burris Ex. Tac. Rings (again, aluminum and beefy) Medium height but they were at LEAST 1/4" too high as that combination left about 1/2" of clearance. My lady bought for me for Christmas the Burris Ex. Tac. Low rings which are perfect for my rifle/base/scope. Now I have about 1/4" of clearance between the objective and the barrel, minus a little bit for the scope cover.

In terms of strength + weather resistance, 1-piece, aluminum (if possible) and beefy. As others have posted, a hunting rifle takes a bit more abuse than rifles intended for mostly range/plinking use, so "extra" strength is definitely a plus. Integrity to Spare...