The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 16, 2009, 11:01 PM   #1
Wallabing

Is this normal for a 870?

When pulling back the action/forend *slowly* on an 870, there is a some resistance when the bolt passes halfway along the open port on my shotgun.

Now is this normal? I'm not that sure, as this is my first 870, and everyone says the 870 action should cycle silky smooth back and forth. Could it be that something is wrong with my 870?

A symptom I'm having is the shells are not ejecting out of the port when I rack back the action with a decent amount of force, instead, the spent shell will drop back down into the carrier and get stuck with another shotshell when it pops out of the magazine.

Any help appreciated.

Last edited by Wallabing; January 16, 2009 at 11:06 PM.
Old January 17, 2009, 06:33 AM   #2
Waterengineer

Not normal. It is time to strip and reassemble. Looking for a loose, bent or broken spring would be a good idea.
Old January 17, 2009, 09:35 AM   #3
Scattergun Bob

Of course, I am just guessing, but it sounds like a weak, loose or broken ejector may be the culprit. It is the spring looking piece against the blind side of the receiver and is visible with the action open. besides its normal function of in/out movement, it should be rock solid.

Remember folks: As one Remington factory armorer is fond of saying, it takes brute force to drive the working parts out of the way, and then it takes more brute force to drive the working parts back into battery. This is not a warm fuzzy, touch type of operation, THIS IS A SLAM THE FOREND BACK AND SLAM THE FOREND FORWARD, with force of will and arm. It is a noisy robust operation. Trying to rack up your pump scattergun quietly in some "stealth" mode in the main cause of mis-feeds in these guns.
Old January 17, 2009, 11:05 AM   #4
Waterengineer

Ditto what Scattergun said about the force thing.
Old January 17, 2009, 01:03 PM   #5
Wallabing

I'll look into it.

But how about that resistance midway when you work back slowly? Anything wrong with that?
Old January 17, 2009, 02:17 PM   #6
Scattergun Bob

Wallabing

An amazing transformation will occur, the more ware that shows on the action bars, the smother the bolt travel will become.

A tip is to check the action bars for straight and plumb & add a pin point of grease like lubriplate to the area where the rails enter the receiver on both sides.

Wearing-in an 870 was always my favorite part of being on the job.
Old January 17, 2009, 02:45 PM   #7
USMCGrunt

Is the hammer cocked when you are pulling it back slowly or is the extra pressure you're feeling from the bottom of the bolt carrier pressing down the hammer?
Old January 17, 2009, 04:04 PM   #8
Scattergun Bob

USMCGrunt

You are exactly correct. And as the friction of the action bars decrease over time and working in, and the hammer and trigger hooks polish up, less resistance is felt.
Old January 17, 2009, 07:28 PM   #9
Wallabing

The hammer is cocked when I pull back on the action, to check if the chamber and other things.
Old January 17, 2009, 08:10 PM   #10
rantingredneck

The buttery smooth actions are on well worn guns. Particularly older wingmasters. As Bob said, half the fun is buttering them up.

If you want a real treat, shuck some shells through an old model 31.....

If your gun feeds and ejects properly with proper (read rough) handling, then likely all is well and will get better.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old January 18, 2009, 12:24 AM   #11
USMCGrunt

Scattegun Bob

We don't have an 870 over here, my 870s are back home, and shotguns are one of the weapons we don't work on very much (they don't see a lot of use) back at home station so I may need correcting on this.
What I am thinking is that no matter how new or well broken in the shotgun is, when the carrier comes back and the hammer is cocked, there is very little friction involved. However, once the carrier makes contact, it depresses the hammer slightly against the hammer spring and you feel that tension friction until the pump goes forward and the carrier is off the hammer surface.
Old June 3, 2009, 09:18 PM   #12
rc

If it ain't broke.....

Most guns compress the hammer towards the rear of their bolt travel. The initial travel is easy because the carrier release and lug was the only thing keeping it closed. However, once the bolt hits the tip of the hammer face you will notice more resistance if you are cycling your gun slowly and looking for "problems". However, if the gun works properly when smartly cycled, then it is perfectly normal. How many of us pump our guns in slow motion??? The only way to know if you have a problem is to just go out and shoot your gun. rc
Old June 3, 2009, 09:24 PM   #13
mike72712

To build on Rantingred....I have a new 870 Express Synthetic, and just bought an old Wingmaster -- and they're like night and day. I haven't had problems w/the Express...but the WM is as smooth as satin sheets.

Totally awesome....
Old June 3, 2009, 10:29 PM   #14
plainsman456

Sounds to me like you need to shoot the crap out of it to break it in.It takes 100-200 rounds and you should see the difference.Good Luck