The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old March 11, 2009, 06:14 PM   #1
5ptdeerhunter

My first C&R order came today.

I ordered two Hex receiver 91/30s. And I agreed to sell one to my friend. I don't know why, I guess I should have ordered 3 so I could keep 2.

But I got them today and they are great, but I have to decide which to keep.

They are basically the same, both are great and in very good/excellent condition. But bluing is only worn on the end of the barrels, and a few spots here and there.

The big difference is one is from 1929, and has beautiful wood.
The other is from 1922 and has nice wood, but has some repairs in a few spots. This one also has a few more things stamped into the receiver.

I wanted the opinion of some other collectors and what might be worth more or what might be deemed as more collectible. Or what some of you prefer. I was leaning towards the 1922, just because it is older, but man that other one sure is nice to look at.

It's already beginning. I got the license in October and I put off buying because I was short on cash, and now I have started and already today I have checked every website I can think of looking for something else.

Sorry my e-mail doesn't work.
E-mail me at:
[email protected]
Old March 11, 2009, 09:28 PM   #2
Ricklin

The bug has bitten

Keep the purty one

Now go have a look at the cz 52 they are a hoot. And pretty cheap to shoot.
Old March 12, 2009, 08:18 AM   #3
jsmaye

Quote:
Keep the purty one
Or keep the shootin'est one.

+1 on the CZ-52. CZ-82 isn't bad either.
Old March 12, 2009, 08:58 AM   #4
carguychris

Quote:
Or keep the shootin'est one.
+1. Shoot both, then decide. Unless the bore is in unusually poor condition, it's difficult to predict how a 91/30 will shoot based on a visual inspection. Production tolerances were large enough that there's quite a bit of variation. Yeah, this means you'll have to clean 'em both up, but friends don't give friends rifles that are soaked in cosmoline.
Old March 12, 2009, 03:25 PM   #5
saands

Definitely shoot them both ... if the 1922 shoots better, then drop it into the 1929 wood and keep THAT one ... these are certainly rearsenaled rifles anyway, so I wouldn't think that there is any chance that the wood is original on either one. This way, you get the benefit of being the one who has the C&R.

As for next acquisitions, if you reload, the Nagant revolvers are a steal and are a nice match for your new rifle. Also, along those lines, don't overlook the TT-33's that are out there right now ... much nicer IMHO than the CZ-52's and are every bit as good.

Saands
Old March 12, 2009, 04:20 PM   #6
5ptdeerhunter

I went with the older one. It really didn't matter to me. It may have a few spots where the wood was fixed, but it still looks really nice.

I think my next purchase might be an M95, I have an Austrian M95 already, but I figured one of them M95/34s or maybe a Hungarian would be alright. Just something to add to the collection that isn't expensive. Or maybe an Enfield, or spending a bit more and getting a K98.

Sorry my e-mail doesn't work.
E-mail me at:
[email protected]
Old March 12, 2009, 09:40 PM   #7
jsmaye

Quote:
I think my next purchase might be an M95, I have an Austrian M95 already, but I figured one of them M95/34s or maybe a Hungarian would be alright.
M95s are neat carbines - I have an Austrian one, and would also like to get a Hungarian, even though there is absolutely no difference in the two.

FYI - I think I've read in several places that there's no such thing as a 95/34. Apparently it's a distinction that some importer made up.