The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 20, 2002, 06:03 PM   #1
CZ_

Minor purchase

Big Five had single shot Magtech shotguns on sale for $79.99. Just out of curiousity, I went and examined one. Amazingly, the wood was very pretty and well fit, and the metal work was good as well, especially considering the price. Well, I couldn't resist and picked one up in .410 caliber. I got the display gun, knowing that I had seen/handled it and appeared to be well put together and I didn't want to take chances with a gun in back storage. Heck, for $79 dollars I won't loose sleep if it turns out to be a POS shooter, at the least it looks and feels nice which might even mean it will perform ok. Bought it mostly for skeet shooting, even though I know the .410 is harder to hit with than larger shotgun rounds.
Old August 20, 2002, 08:14 PM   #2
swampgator

If it makes you happy, them good deal!

I found a pawn shop that had several Win 37A single shot 12s for about $50 apiece. I think one or two may wind up following me home one day.

Singleshots seem to be less respected in a world of tactical pumps and semi-autos, but have no doubts that single barrels have put just as much, if not more food on the table!
Old August 20, 2002, 08:38 PM   #3
CZ_

^When I was a kid, I had an old beat up .410 shotgun and I was able to hit nearly half of the skeets the first time I went out. Those were great times, and I REALLY regret selling that gun. This shotgun, while a different make, reminded me of that old shotgun I once had. For the price, I don't think I can go wrong, even if it doesn't get the job done for skeet, I have a 12 gauge for skeet anyway and the .410 can always just be a "fun" gun.
Old August 21, 2002, 04:21 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Here's the thing about utility singles....

Most are incredibly rugged and reliable.Great truck, starter and loaner shotguns,and "Toting" guns.

Most also kick like Bruce Lee,due to the light weight and stock with lots of drop. With proper ammo, wonderful to use in the field.

The repeaters and fine doubles get the ink, but lots of meat have landed on the table with these.

Gator, FYI, the last 37 I saw for sale here was priced at $250. The card shooters love them, and they're also popular worked into slug guns. For the prices you mention, I'd just about break my wrist getting my wallet out.
Old August 21, 2002, 06:36 PM   #5
CZ_

^When I was a kid, I never really felt much recoil from the old Iver Johnson .410 single shot that I owned. It was a rust bucket and had tons of chips in the stock, but it was my first shotgun way back then and I immediately learned to shoot it well. I actually did better at skeet with that .410 gun than with the 12 gauge (the 12 was too heavy for me to swing around/acquire aim well as a kid). I didn't think that .410 recoil was not particularly much big of a deal. I'm hoping this new .410 single shot I bought will at least shoot half as good my long departed one. Even if this new .410 does kick a lot, I'll just install a slip on Pachmyre recoil pad on it.
Old August 22, 2002, 05:57 AM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Oh, it's a 410? Never mind about the kick, then.

Enjoy...
Old August 24, 2002, 08:52 PM   #7
swampgator

Dave,

Funny you should mention that singles kick. I've shot dad's 37A since I was 10, and never had a problem with its kick. Now the Stevens 311 double barrel kicked like a mule.

But as to the 37A, I think they're great squirrel guns I think I'll wind up picking both of the ones the store had.
Old August 24, 2002, 09:20 PM   #8
CZ_

^I do agree that the single and double barreled "Coach" style shotguns in 12 gauge kick like a mule. I think its a combination of bad ergonomics (plastic recoil padd/poorly shaped butt), low overall weight, and large caliber all in one.
Old August 25, 2002, 06:21 AM   #9
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Gator, felt recoil is quite subjective. That 311 just doesn't fit you, IMO.

37s are and were considered the primo utility single for a coupla reasons.

The receiver's high grade steel, not soft stell or iron like early Iver Johnsons, the ubiquitous H&Rs, etc.

The bbls were made light and tightly choked, just like Model 97s and 12s.The triggers were good for a field gun, and the whole thing was built to a higher standard.

With very good QC, Winchester had a real classic there.
Old August 25, 2002, 07:38 PM   #10
swampgator

Dave, the 311 was retired sometime around my 16th year.
Old August 26, 2002, 05:32 AM   #11
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

About the age I retired my old H&R 16 gauge, at least for waterfowl and deer. That still is the worst kicking shotgun I've even had.
Old August 26, 2002, 09:15 PM   #12
swampgator

Gun Stores versus Pawn Shops.........

Dave,

Was in a gunshop today and found a 37A in 12 on consignment, and a 37A in twenty. $150 for the 12, $165 for the 20.

Makes you wonder what the pawn shops don't know about them.
Old August 27, 2002, 05:23 AM   #13
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Pawn shops are just like any other business, the more you know the better you do.

A local pawn shop, run by a former co worker has a much used, 50s era 870 field grade for $350. It could use some restoration, and about a C-note off that price.

Same shop,Belgian Clunker double of indeterminate age, $400.

IOW,not a good place for bargains,nor even competitive prices....
Old August 27, 2002, 08:01 PM   #14
swampgator

I just thought it was odd that the Pawn shop was $100 cheaper for the same shotgun than the gunshop.
Old August 28, 2002, 04:18 AM   #15
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

The pawn shop may have had the same markup, Gator, but paid less for the gun.