The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 17, 2012, 10:55 PM   #1
Misssissippi Dave

AA 2 with MG 115 grain JHP

I have been working on a soft shooting load for 9 mm.

I tried the 3.9 grain of AA2 with a 115 grain MG JHP with OAL of 1.080. They would cycle the pistol but the minimum. I will increase the powder for the next try. I will keep the 3.9 grain load in my book if I ever need a load that is very soft shooting. I'm fairly certain the slide would not lock to the rear if someone did not have a solid grip on the pistol. Limp wristing this load probably would cause any pistol to fail to cycle. Accuracy in the CZ was fairly good. It was less so in the Sig P226. The P226 does have a longer barrel then the compact CZ does.

AA 2 is a nice fast burning powder. It seems to be a good choice for a soft shooting 9 mm round.

I have already worked up good loads for 124 and 115 MG bullets with AA 5 powder. W231 works in 9 mm but it isn't the cleanest burning. Pistol powder tends to have more muzzle flash then I care for. WST was close to what I wanted but it worked better in heavier bullets rather then 115 grain bullets.
I also have some VV powder but the cost is higher then I care for.
Old June 20, 2012, 12:51 AM   #2
Nosparetime

AA#2 is one of my favorite powders for 9mm. It's so fine if your primer didn't go in you will have powder all over your progressive press.

I am using VV powder now only to use it up. It is excellent powder but not as available and is more expensive.

I feel the same about 231. I find it to be too dirty.
Old June 20, 2012, 05:49 AM   #3
WESHOOT2

'cough' Ramshot Silhouette