The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 31, 2009, 05:44 AM   #51
Bismarck357

I too live in a small town,only about 3,500 people. And I don't want to make light of your situation,but let me tell you how it is here. We don't have any crime. In fact after 10pm we don't even have police on duty. The last time we had a major crime here was 12yrs ago,and that was some little punk tryin' to steal a car. Most of the men in my town (myself included) are military veterans,or just plain folks who believe in solvin' their own problems rather then bother the sheriff. I dare say we may be the most heavily armed small town in Oregon. There are several larger cities near by,and they do have their fair share of crime;but the scum that walks those streets know to stay away from here.If you and the good people of your town want the bad elements out of your town arm yourselves,get organized and work with the local police to get rid of that which plags you. Who knows,maybe I'm wrong...
Old July 31, 2009, 07:25 AM   #52
BlueTrain

If you want to split hairs, in England a village has a church and a hamlet doesn't, unless the hamlet was a village depopulated.

But if you want to get the bad element out of town, you don't need to be heavily armed but you do need to be organized and you clearly need to cooperate with the sheriff's department. I assume here that the place is too small for a police department. But remember, you're also giving someone else your problems, however you care to define your problems.

Who gets to decide who the bad element is? You know, they say that a democracy is where you can vote to have someone put to death.
Buy War Bonds.
Old July 31, 2009, 08:48 AM   #53
Steve1911

It is not an issue of small town or big town. It is evil, and where it is allowed to go unchecked and unchallenged it will flourish. I have family in the town in southern Missouri where those two girls were murdered. I know that it seems like it can not happen in a small town... But it does.

Up in Northern MO. is a little different with KC, and St.L being what they are... it is easy to become a cynic.

We all just need to remain vigilant and keep the evil in our world in check...

After all the famous saying goes... All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Never could a saying be more pertinent today than ever before.
Old August 4, 2009, 09:17 PM   #54
akr

Steve, what town in Mo was it?

NRA Lifetime Member