The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 3, 1999, 10:40 PM   #1
gunrunner

Hello
I have a friend with a browing sweet 16 and we were recently shooting the gun and noticed it had a tremendous kick, more than my remington 11-87, could there be a problem with the gun, i thought the 16ga would kick less than a 12 ga, could it be related to a cleaning problem or something else. thanks

------------------
shut up and reload.
Old December 4, 1999, 01:26 AM   #2
Grayfox

A friend of mine has one of these and I've shot it on numerous occasions. You're right, that sucker kicks like a mule. Much more than a 12 gauge. I don't know why, it just does. Despite this, the gun handles very well and woe be unto any clay bird that wanders in front of it.
Old December 5, 1999, 10:51 AM   #3
Kingcreek

could be that his 16 is not set up with the right friction rings for high brass loads.
This can cause the bolt to slam the reciever with less recoil being absorbed by the spring.
For heavy loads-put both rings to front,
bronze piece toward barrel lug, then friction ring behind with beveled edge next to bronze.
for light loads- move the friction ringto other end of spring, beveled edge toward reciever(flat side to spring)
I leave my old A5s set up for heavy loads and only change them if they fail to cycle properly.
Hope this helps
Old December 6, 1999, 05:52 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Kingcreek might be right on that. I had an old Remington Model 11(Same as A-5) and it kicked like h*ll when set up wrong.

Also, felt recoil is a function of weight. The Sweet 16 is on a smaller frame than the 12.Bet it runs not much more than 6 lbs.

Daughter's 20 ga 870 Express Youth is a very light little gun, and recoil is,well, stiff.
May have to get a solid brass mag plug made for practice.