The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 19, 2001, 09:56 AM   #1
Sparky27

Cleaning procedures...for a newbie

I know there must be as many ways to clean a gun as there are guns on the market...but I'm looking for an accurate, detailed cleaning procedure to follow.

I know how to field strip my gun, so I'm looking for the what, how and how much after that point. Also, what products to use when and what to put them on with...Q-tips, cloths, patches, etc.

I read about Milltec, and CLP, and Eezox and TW25B...where does it all stop!?!?!?!

Any help would be much appreciated!
Old October 19, 2001, 09:43 PM   #2
kurt IA.

Just my way, with a bolt gun. The barrel, a good one pice coated rod, a rod guide that fits your action and cal. boar cleaner ( I like Butchs Bore Shine ) a brozen core brass brisle brush, and perice type jag that fits right.
one wet patch pushed through the bore, let the patch fall off at the end, wet the brush and make one pass back and forth 10 times, another wet patch or two, if you see any grean or other fouling repeat, when done dry the bore, clean out the chamber, lug, and wipe down the bolt, greass the lugs, your done. about once or twice a year flush the triger with lighter fluid.
Old October 21, 2001, 01:03 PM   #3
Clayton

Sparky27,

The best advice anyone can give you on cleaning your weapons is to clean them after every range session, or every month when not in use. You can't go wrong with this preventative maintenance schedule.

Visual inspection goes a long way .

Buy lots of Q-tips and pipe cleaners. They're the secret .

As far as the "best" products, use a product that best fits your methods, and choose one that is safe and effective on the weapons you use, in the environment you are in.

I prefer to use a CLP-type product. They are safer and easier to use compared to using several different dedicated products. They are also very effective. Several CLP-type products outperform lots of single purpose cleaners, lubes, and protectants.

"Better" and "Ultimate" are subjective terms. Don't worry too much about whether or not you've got the 'best" product.

Keep in mind that rust is a concern on any weapon, and this should be a primary concern. You will probably never wear out a gun, but you will most certainly face corrosion.

I've had excellent luck with Break-Free CLP on all my weapons. It is tested and proven, safe and effective.
www.break-free.com

If you prefer to use a seperate set of dedicated products, one of the most effective sets of gun care products is:
www.kgproducts.com

Good maintenance videos here:
www.gunvideo.com
www.wilsoncombat.com

Good source for all your gun care products:
www.midsouthshooterssupply.com