The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 5, 2014, 07:17 PM   #1
steveNChunter

Marlin/Glenfield model 60 will not feed

I'm working on an older Glenfield model 60 for a friend. He brought it to me and said that it wouldn't feed at all, not even when he tries to manually load the first round.

Sure enough, it won't. It jams the nose of the round into the upper outside corner of the breech face every time. Ive taken it apart, down to each piece of the trigger group, cleaned it all really good, put it back together, and it's no better. It looks to me like the round is just flying out of the feed throat as soon as the rim of the case gets to the wider part of the feed lips where the round is supposed to rise to let the bolt push it into the chamber.

I'm thinking I need a new feed throat. It has visible wear inside the walls of the feed lips, and it looks like it's starting to separate where the two pieces of the throat have been riveted together. Am I on the right track here or should I check something else?
Old July 5, 2014, 08:33 PM   #2
tangolima

I believe it has a cartridge guide over the breech to keep the round from feeding high, similar to model 81. The guide breaks off very often. The part itself is cheap, less than $10 from numrich. The installation is pita. You need to pull the barrel.

-TL
Old July 5, 2014, 08:36 PM   #3
kilimanjaro

You need to do all the following:

old part no.---new part no. ---description
207178 -----------307287 --------cartridge lifter
320795------------307295-------ejector/lifter spring
420395------------207285----------feedthroat
The old style parts are no longer available and if any ONE of the above parts requires replacement, ALL three (3) MUST be replaced with new style parts.

The retail price for the conversion kit is $20.00. We trust this will meet with your approval.

note: IN THE EVENT THE FIREARM FITS ONE OF THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA:

(1) has no serial number
(2) serial number begins with a 7 or
(3)serial number is higher than 24,000,000 the Breech Bolt assembly must be replaced. A special price for the bolt assembly is $25.00 Part Number 707186

The above is cut and paste from an old forum blog, the prices may not be valid.
Old July 5, 2014, 10:22 PM   #4
Hawg

Quote:
I believe it has a cartridge guide over the breech to keep the round from feeding high
Nope, it doesn't. You might try ebay for parts.
Old July 6, 2014, 12:21 AM   #5
tangolima

You're right. I stand corrected.

-TL
Old July 6, 2014, 06:55 AM   #6
g.willikers

The parts a lot more expensive these days.
http://www.brownells.com/schematics/...60-sid285.aspx
Old July 6, 2014, 02:40 PM   #7
steveNChunter

Well I think I have the rifle fixed for now at least. I told the owner about all the parts he was going to need to fix the rifle, and he said he'd rather not put much money into it if at all possible. So I took the feed throat out and ground a notch out in the back upper corner of it, right in the middle where the two pieces come together. Then I squeezed it tight in a vise and put JB weld into the notch I made. After letting it cure several hours I put the rifle back together and it seems to feed fine now. Time will tell if the JB weld holds up. If not I'll either order the parts for him or it will become a parts gun. It's not in the best of shape anyway. There are too many of those model 60's out there to be putting nearly half the cost of a new one into an old beat up one. $75-100 will buy a decent used one
Old July 6, 2014, 03:17 PM   #8
kilimanjaro

A local Armlist vendor has three of them, all very nice condtion, for $135-$165.
I'm sure he paid that $75 price you mention for each of them.
Old July 6, 2014, 09:24 PM   #9
steveNChunter

I see old Glenfield 60's for sale for $100 or slightly less pretty often. They aren't immaculate by any means but they just have normal wear for a 70's-80's rifle that has seen regular use. And I doubt the owner paid even $100 for this one. The stock looks like it went through a war on the losing side, and all the metal has recieved the krylon touch over the original bluing, probably because it's rusty underneath. It's not something I'd want to put a lot of money into, that's why he nor I thought it was a good idea to order all those parts if a cheaper fix could be found.

And so far it's working, now all I need to figure out is why it is occasionally failing to eject the spent brass, and it will be running like a top. It pulls it out of the chamber, but gets caught either by the next round or the bolt as it's closing.
Old July 6, 2014, 09:52 PM   #10
Scorch

We redo them all the time. Cost you about $75 including parts and labor.