The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 6, 2008, 12:05 AM   #1
Lilswede1

Resizing military cases for .223 problem

I have casings from several different mfgs. PAC - Win - S&B - LC ete.
Use a Dillon 550B Progressive loader.
On the Sizing Die. Most of my brass fits pretty tight in my CZ 527. Some rounds wont go at all. Problem is in the shoulder area.
If I lower the sizing die to make even the S&B casings (longest shoulder of all my casings) fit well into the chamber can I leave it at that setting for the rest of my casings?
Logic tells me to make the longest case I've got fit nicely into my gun and the others should be fine at that setting.
I'm prettty new to reloading and have found out there is no such thing as a dumb question.
The Lake City casing and new Win casing chamber with little of no resistance at all.
Old November 6, 2008, 12:44 AM   #2
totalloser

If the cases are not chambering, I would say they should be full length sized (FL). I only own semis, so I don't recognize your CZ, but I am gonna assume it's a bolt gun. If you want to neck size only, you really need to full length size first, then shoot it off, and then neck size for fireformed cases for your rifle. If I understand correctly, they will sooner or later still need to be fl sized again. As I only own semis, I always FL size.

Your die set should have instructions, and usually it is something like 1/2 turn after firm contact with the ram all the way up. The length of the shoulder is set by the die. Backing it out will bump the shoulder less, but may also become inconsistent.

Hopefully some bolt gun guys will chime in on this.
Old November 6, 2008, 01:38 AM   #3
fourrobert13

Bolt gun or semi-auto? Either way, you should invest in a case guage. I use a Dillon case guage, and if the case fits in the guage, it will fit in your gun.
Old November 6, 2008, 08:30 AM   #4
Lilswede1

YEP

The CZ 527 is a bolt - and yep I have a case guage and have trimmed ammo to .175"
I set up the FL resizing die according to Dillon instructions.
This works well for the casings that are not too long.
Then I have lowered the FL sizing die to make the longer casings work.
Now I have run into some S & B casings that are longer still so will have to lower sizing die again to compensate for those.
Once I have the longest shoulder length casing I have necked down to fit well into the rifle chamber do I leave the die at that point permanately or do I readjust it for the shorter casings?
Logic tells me once I have the die set for the longest casing and that finished round fits snugly in my little gun I should leave the die at the setting and load all rounds that way and let the gun do its job of making all my casings the same shoulder length. I guess that is what is called "fireforming"?
Old November 6, 2008, 11:54 AM   #5
30Cal

Was this brass previously fired in your rifle?

You shouldn't really need to change the die from one brand to the next. I suspect your problem is not at the shoulder, but at the case head.