The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 18, 2015, 03:22 AM   #1
Ignition Override

Consider Krav-Maga etc to supplement a handgun?

The man who bought our east Memphis home years ago barely resisted an attempted home invasion in May, as "C" stepped out of the car in the garage (about 10:00 PM). Luckily his wife was ahead of him in the kitchen, and not vice versa (just imagine).

This former career pilot retired a few years ago and probably still has a good reaction time. This is near Goodlett/Central, by Sec. Pres. Church.
"C" told me that he was not armed, but would have had No time to pull a handgun because the young punks were on him in a split second, demanding that he go inside. His response "Hell no!"

"C" then swung a small food plate already being carried from the car, knocking the handgun sideways, he yelled to his wife, who was already inside "Go get the gun!". "C" was being pushed into the wall of our old garage as he struggled. His wife immed. responded "I'm getting the gun!". The young thugs only ran away when they heard her words.

Self-defense on gun websites must remain focused only on about caliber, tight groups, revolver vs **, fmj vs Hornady HTX--jhp.., because this is the only way to quantify defensive measures?

Last edited by Ignition Override; June 18, 2015 at 03:31 AM.
Old June 18, 2015, 03:58 AM   #2
Pond, James Pond

Martial arts are certainly a great addition to anyone's arsenal, but they are not for everyone for a number of reasons: firstly physical condition. You need to be fit to make the most of them.

Then there is the fact that to become proficient you need to practice and train and practice and train.

I would say you need to do that to an even greater degree than a handgun and it is dependent on finding a good school which will not only teach the techniques in a positive environment but also one that allows for application in a stress situation.

And I think it really is one of those disciplines that serves you bet if you start young!!

So, yes, they are good, but they take a LOT of work.
Old June 18, 2015, 06:16 AM   #3
stubbicatt

I have a buddy who is a firearms instructor. He says one fights the way one trains. He says that some form of grappling or martial arts is necessary, as the typical gun guy tends to see all problems as a handgun solution, when not all problems are gun problems.

Sorta like to the hammer, the world is a series of nails.

I'm to old and rickety to engage in that sort of hands on combatives, but I understand his point.
Old June 18, 2015, 07:50 AM   #4
psyfly

Personal story, YMMV.

I'm in my 70s and now almost six years post Coronary Artery Bypass graft.

Shortly after my surgery, I and three other older guys got together with a formerly active duty U.S. Marine who ran a local Mixed Martial Arts school and we took a bit over 40 hours of Krav Maga training.

It was a lot of fun.

The instructor taught the techniques as self defense and made a point of drawing a distinction between what we were learning and martial arts, which he described as a sport which he taught to his MMA students.

He did not believe that Krav was/is a sport and there were no prizes, scores, or belts awarded. (I understand that there are some who now teach the methods as martial art or sport, but our instructor did not/would not agree).

It is a common belief among many students of Krav that the training produces a change in the trainee that is perceptible to potential predators and reduces the probability of being targeted.

That's an empirical question that, AFAIK, has yet to be answered.

I'm happy I've taken the training and I'm happy I continue to practice.

While I've never made contact with another person with a Krav Maga move, I do credit the training with giving me the confidence to face down a street criminal/crazy who was attacking my son. I felt confident in my ability to have taken him down/out had it become necessary. As it turned out, I did not make physical contact with him and, in my estimation, the situation did not warrant production of a firearm and it never occurred to me to produce my CCW, which I was wearing.

I began training thinking that it would give me an option short of using my CCW. That turns out not to be the case, and I think it is an important distinction.

There is a place for the one and a place for the other and there is actually, IMO, very little overlap.

I believe that situational awareness and analysis are vital: If life is threatened and you are armed, do not mess around trying to solve the situation with less than the power you have available to you.

The hand-to-hand stuff is for either a lesser threat or, as in the OP's story, when you get caught unarmed.

Go take some training and don't wait 'til you're as old as I am. But always be aware of the limitations. Having the ability to defend yourself physically in a close-contact altercation should never be considered an acceptable choice over using your firearm if life is endangered.

Will
Old June 18, 2015, 08:16 AM   #5
BigMikey76

Definitely a good idea. I recommend taking something that focuses on grappling rather than punches and fancy kicks. If an attacker is already on you, you often won't have room to swing, but if you know how to twist him into a pretzel, you have an advantage. I took Judo when I was younger - lots of focus on arm bars and choke holds, as well as throws and knock downs. There are plenty of choices, and any one of them is going to give you an edge.
Old June 18, 2015, 09:48 AM   #6
doofus47

When I was in kung fu, we talked about the different "gates." Gates being related to range handweapon, fist/foot, elbow/knee, grappling. Possessing a gun adds a further gate, but it doesn't reduce the requirement of knowing how to defend the others.
If you do Krav Maga, that's as fine of a choice as any.
Old June 18, 2015, 10:15 AM   #7
Hiker 1

Krav Maga is excellent. It's not really a martial art but rather a fighting style.
It goes very well with good firearms training.
Old June 18, 2015, 11:13 AM   #8
Koda94

I personally feel martial arts are more important than the gun, the gun supplements the martial art.
Old June 18, 2015, 12:45 PM   #9
TfflHndn

Please don't think you are too old, too small, too weak, etc., to benefit from some personal self-defense training. A good instructor will match the training to your abilities. One of my instructors learned cane-fighting techniques when he was unable to walk normally for a while due to a leg injury, for example. There are useful techniques that anyone can learn and use. More tools in the kit, in case they are needed.
Old June 18, 2015, 09:59 PM   #10
oldandslow

io,

Never too late to take up martial arts- I started at age 44 and continued for the next nine years (Kenpo karate, aikido and jujitsu). It teaches much more than physical response- like self-confidence, conditioning, being aware of one's surroundings, and simple non-lethal ways to get out of a situation where a firearm would be too much force. Good luck.

best wishes- oldandslow
Old June 18, 2015, 10:10 PM   #11
DaleA

My favorite taunt:

"Sonny, I'm a black belt in three martial arts you can't even pronounce!!!"
Old June 18, 2015, 11:08 PM   #12
Deaf Smith

Been in martial arts since college. 40+ years. I teach Tuesday night's.

5th Dan TaeKwonDo but my love is for JKD with a dash of Krav Maga. Been in two 6 hr. siminars on Muey Thai and Escrima Plus a 'team tactics' shooting class by Krav Maga folks in the last six months. Plan in August to attend a class taught by Dan Inosanto.

And yes, I'm into IDPA to boot.

See, to me self defense is an avocation. Sure I program computers for a living, but my interest is in SD.

So make your hobbies relevant. Down the road the skills just might come handy.

Deaf
Old June 19, 2015, 08:26 PM   #13
Bentonville

Who is a good instructor in NC east of Raleigh?
Old June 20, 2015, 08:42 PM   #14
Ignition Override

Very interesting observations from y'all. Twenty five years ago I took PasaRyu (like Taekwondo) for a year or so, and was disappointed that only kata routines were practiced, but not self-defense, though it really helps the balance.
One problem is constant travel out of town, often on different days etc.

But at age 59, despite having no developed muscles (for a guy), I run about 30 min on dirt/paved trails (summer-winter), usually 4-6 days per week.
Suppose it's better than nothing.
Old June 22, 2015, 11:02 AM   #15
Skans

I've done plenty of drills which incorporate grappling, martial arts, and firearms. I have also been taught that the firearm is just another tool, just an extension of what you have already learned in various fighting and defensive techniques.

Personally, I think this kind of training is invaluable for so many reasons. Just for starters, it gives you a more realistic idea of when you can and cannot rely on your gun. It also makes you more aware of your surroundings. If someone is within a couple of feet from you holding you at gunpoint or knifepoint, going for your own firearm really may not be a feasible defensive response. As for age and agility, most of this doesn't require that you be some kind of physically fit super human. But, you do need to practice, think about the techniques and get good training.
Old June 22, 2015, 11:32 AM   #16
tedbeau

Quote:
I believe that situational awareness and analysis are vital: If life is threatened and you are armed, do not mess around trying to solve the situation with less than the power you have available to you.

The hand-to-hand stuff is for either a lesser threat or, as in the OP's story, when you get caught unarmed.

Go take some training and don't wait 'til you're as old as I am. But always be aware of the limitations. Having the ability to defend yourself physically in a close-contact altercation should never be considered an acceptable choice over using your firearm if life is endangered.
Well said! I would like to take some training in hand to hand of some sort, but being older, I agree, if someone younger or stronger attacks me I am not going to rely on hand to hand if I think my life or safety is threatened.

Like the saying goes, "If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics suck!"

I am not going to decide to go hand to hand only to find out the other guy is a world class martial arts master and get myself permanently disabled or killed when I have a gun in my pocket and I didn't start the aggression.