The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 24, 2011, 05:48 PM   #1
hppd648

which Maxpedition pack

I'm looking for a pack for my wife to carry on our next trip to Disney World with the kids.

Since both kids are no longer in diapers, we can scale down the bag a bit.

My wife is trying to decide between the Maxpedition Remora and the Colossus.

When we return, I'll likely use the bag as a bail-out bag in my patrol car.

Any insight as to which bag she should get?
Old April 25, 2011, 03:16 PM   #2
DAdams

I just went through a Maxpedition Bag evaluation and ultimately everytime I got out the tape measure the bags were too small for what I wanted, which was an acceptable "day" pack.

I settled on the Sitka Gearslinger, it can go from back to front without removing which is handy and it isn't any too big that's for sure. Look at the size of the bags relative to the persons wearing them in the photos and do a measure with a tape on the person(s) who are going to be using them both on and off the body.

Great quality and you can hang things all over it. I like the straps on the sides for knives or my hiking sticks.

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/...ger-12p926.htm

Is there such a thing as over-compartmentalized? I pretty much now remember where what is where.

Old April 25, 2011, 08:23 PM   #3
X_shooter

I have the Jumbo and Fatboy versipacks. I love these bags. For the scale you might want to go with the Sitka. I really want the gearslinger series, but they rotate to the wrong side.

I wished they made models for lefties like their versipacks. As I type this I notice on their website they now have the s-type which is the lefty type. Woo hoo. I am getting the kodiak. I have lots of stuff to carry and it works as a day pack for me. I like to be able to rotate them without taking them off too.
Old April 25, 2011, 10:41 PM   #4
Micahweeks

I have some Maxpedition gear, but I wouldn't recommend it for a trip to Disney. It is extremely rigid gear with very little flex. They are great for hard, outdoor use, but I wouldn't carry one at a theme park. I'd find something softer, like a canvas messenger bag or even just a backpack. You'll find the Maxpedition gear feels bulky after a while. That's just my opinion, though.
Old April 25, 2011, 10:57 PM   #5
sarge1967

I have several Maxpedition bags and packs. Jumbo, Proteus, Malaga, Sitka and three of their backpacks. Obviously I am a big fan of Maxped stuff. IMHO they are some of the best bags for the money out there. The modular design is very nice as you can outfit the bag with different pouches and pockets depending on your needs.
If you are looking for a bail out bag or active shooter bag the Jumbo would be my choice.
Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk
Old April 26, 2011, 08:33 PM   #6
DAdams

Quote:
I wouldn't recommend it for a trip to Disney. It is extremely rigid gear with very little flex. They are great for hard, outdoor use
Get an Eastpak from Wally for the trip and a Maxpedition for you.

They do soften with use but are stiff at the onset. Designed to be beat up.
Old April 29, 2011, 02:38 PM   #7
BuzzGun

The jumbo versa-pack has served me well for everyday use for the last year,
Great Bag(Also top notch for concealed carry purpose).
It's so common to see some one carrying a bag or back pak anymore in public,
That no one thinks the other.
Old April 29, 2011, 04:42 PM   #8
BarryLee

I just picked up a Colossus Versipack and so far have been very happy. I can see it being an excellent bag for what the OP described. I think it might be easier and more convenient than a traditional backpack since you can access items without taking the bag off.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old May 9, 2011, 08:24 PM   #9
DAdams

What did you get?
Old May 13, 2011, 11:17 PM   #10
hafpit

Have you checked out the Tactical Messenger Bags from UTG? They are knockoffs of the Maxpedition bags at a fraction of the cost. Decent quality, comparable to the Jumbo bag. I have one, and will buy one for my son to use as a "tactical baby bag".