The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 17, 2012, 12:04 AM   #1
Theophilus

Concealed Carry Under Cover of Darkness

I like to walk my dog around the block at night. I like to carry a gun when doing so. I especially like to carry my new-to-me 4" GP100, just because it's the only time I could carry it. Thing is, when this gun is carried in a Gould & Goodrich duty holster, I look like I 'm trying to carry a 2x4 IWB, even under my bulkiest jackets. What I'd like to know is, does it matter? I'm out at night, I'm not going to be in the light unless something is going drastically wrong with my dog walk... is it ok to be out with a chunk under my sweatshirt? Or do we have to be as inconspicuous as in broad daylight?
Old December 17, 2012, 12:18 AM   #2
jason_iowa

Depends on the state. In Iowa printing is not an issue. I have carried all over the state including malls in Des Moines. Most people are so caught up in their own lives even if they see they don't register. I carry a full sized pistol and revolver most of the time, owb holsters and unless its below 0 and windy I never wear a jacket. If you are within the law and not doing anything else stupid the chance you will have any problems are very slim.
Old December 17, 2012, 03:15 AM   #3
Perturbed Panda

Agreed, most people are too preoccupied with their own stuff to notice. I know how you feel though, I'm always checking myself to see if I'm printing. You should be perfectly fine.
Old December 17, 2012, 07:10 AM   #4
Kreyzhorse

Printing depends on state but generally speaking, you likely are okay.

A couple of things to minimize printing..... The looser your clothing the better. Something with a pattern breaks the outline better than something solid. If you don't have a true gun belt, buy one. This will support your gun and holster and keep it positioned correctly. A GP is heavy so you really need to support it.
Old December 17, 2012, 07:34 AM   #5
Mobuck

If "Ozarka" is in MO and you don't have some stupid local ordinance, there's not problem legally. I agree with other posts that most of the time, folks don't notice a discreetly carried firearm.
Old December 17, 2012, 09:37 AM   #6
kraigwy

If the truth be known, most people are self absorbed they wouldn't notice if you had a Four Duce Mortar stuck in your pants pocket.

I was reminded of this just about a year ago. I carry a 642 in my pocket and its dern near impossible to detect. I had no worries about printing.

Well last Dec I had to go to a funeral in Portland. I flew out there and only needed a carry on, I didn't want to fool with check baggage so I couldn't take my revolver.

My son met me at the airport and brought me a gun, a small to mid size semi with a belt holster. I only needed a light jacket and was constantly pulling it down to cover the muzzle. My son laughed and reminded me people are self absorbed with their own life and wouldn't notice UNLESS I kept pulling on my jacket tail.

So I just figure to heck with it, if it shows it shows, I was legal (I carry per the LEOSA plus Oregon always, even pre LEOSA, allowed retired cops from any state to carry).

Never had a problem. No one saw the pistol (or said anything about it). Now understand I stay with my daughter who lives in Happy Valley, when every one is at work and I'm left to my own, I hang around the Clackamas Mall, between REI (who gets most of my money when I'm in Portland), Barnes and Noble, and mostly setting at Star Bucks outside tables, drinking coffee, smoking, and reading (maybe a bit of eyeballing the nice looking ladies going in and out that mall, very pleasing to my old eyes).

Everyone was content on doing their own thing, I didn't really stand out, and no one was noticing the muzzle of my pistol hanging below my jacket tail. If they saw it in passing they probably assumed it was some sort of cell phone holder that seems quite common now.

If you're really paranoid, get one of those fanny packs or little baggy things that go around your waste, they seem quite popular in the big cities, malls and such.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old December 17, 2012, 01:39 PM   #7
drail

As long as you don't constantly reach down and touch it or adjust most people will not "see it". LEOs are trained to "see" things and might spot a gun on you. Just be cool man.
Old December 17, 2012, 01:54 PM   #8
SPEMack618

In my old job, I spent a lot of time on horseback and carried openly, but only while at work.

I wore a pre-Model 10 in a nylon holster on my belt. It worked for riding on horseback, keot the gun secure, and fit in with my job provide equipment budget. Which was zero.

One day, I had to run to Tractor-Supply and Wal-Mart and forgot to leave my revovler at work. Was standing in line at wal-mart, and the little boy behind said something I couldn't quite hear and then his mother said
"Don't worry sweetie, I think he's a game warden."

I just smiled and proceeded to check out.
Old December 17, 2012, 07:05 PM   #9
Bob Wright

Until someone actually "sees" a gun, they haven't seen a gun. They may suspect you have a gun, but then so what?

Bob Wright
Old December 19, 2012, 12:44 AM   #10
btmj

This past summer my wife accidently open-carried through a whole day of shopping in the urban/suburban parts of St. Louis county. She carries her LC9 in an IWB holster, and on this day, she tucked in her t-shirt and put on a windbreaker. But as the day warmed up, she ditched the windbreaker and went about her shopping and errands, completely forgetting that the butt of the pistol was completely exposed. No one noticed. or if they did, they didn't care.
Old December 19, 2012, 03:27 AM   #11
Koda94

correct me if I am wrong, but I would think you would only have a problem if someone could identify the gun.... its one thing to say 'I think he has a gun officer' vs. 'he has a stainless 45 or glock, etc.'. Its my understanding that concealed means concealed, but printing is open for discussion.

one thing to consider though is the reason your carrying.... if its obvious enough that you got something, then it might be obvious to the BG.
Old December 19, 2012, 08:24 AM   #12
RUT

>>They may suspect you have a gun, but then so what?<<

I agree........
Old December 19, 2012, 09:01 AM   #13
drail

Most people, even if they see your gun automatically assume you're a cop (unless you look like a gangbanger).
Old December 19, 2012, 11:22 AM   #14
baccusboy

I had dinner at a restaurant and coffee at Starbucks in 80 degree heat, wearing bermuda shorts and a polo shirt... under that was my 1911SC Bobtail commander in my Milt Sparks VM2 belt/holster combo. As I sat there, the discussion turned to gun rights, and how my female friend thought about getting her CCW. She asked several questions about when I carried, and even asked why I wasn't carrying now. Our conversation could have been overheard, so I fibbed and told her it was too hot or something. I forget. Nobody noticed.
Old December 19, 2012, 11:23 AM   #15
JimDandy

I read a story from Masaad Ayoob where he was asked to actually open carry for a day just to see how often it was noticed. The only time he was busted was by a youngster who was eye-to-belt-high and thus stared right at it while he was in a grocery store checkout line or something similar. She busted him pretty good, and tugged on her daddy and "out'ed" him. He badged her and her dad, and dad set the young girl at ease.

So dark colored gun, holster, pants, and shirt, and the only one who saw it and busted him was a kid who, by physical design was staring right at his carry location.
Old December 19, 2012, 01:57 PM   #16
Bob Wright

In an NRA publication a story was told of a person seeing a person whom he suspected was carrying a gun. The observer called the police who, when they arrived, arrested the gun carrier after searching him and finding a gun.

The Supreme Court reversed the conviction on the grounds that the police cannot search a person on the strength of a third party's testimony unless they, too, observe the infraction.

Bob Wright
Old December 19, 2012, 05:50 PM   #17
wpsdlrg

I'm licensed in my state to carry concealed. I carry almost every day. I have only come across one individual that I think MIGHT have noticed, but said nothing. I don't care anyway, as it's none of their business. I make sure to follow the legal restrictions on carry (locations) to the letter. So, what do I have to fear ? If approached by a LEO, I will do just as the law requires. If that happens on the basis of some citizen making a report - so what ?

Probably will never happen, anyway. Most people are too wrapped up in their own lives - most of them wouldn't notice a nuclear weapon going off - let alone someone with a handgun "printing" a little bit, under their clothing.
Old December 27, 2012, 10:35 PM   #18
godot

"If you're really paranoid, get one of those fanny packs or little baggy things that go around your waste, they seem quite popular in the big cities, malls and such."

Unless I see a man who's openly gay (not being pejorative), I assume any guy wearing a fanny pack is carrying. Galco came out with the first ones and they had bright stripes across them & then advertised in G&A with full page ads, asserting that you could carry inconspicuously.Worst kept secret in the Free World.
Old December 28, 2012, 03:17 AM   #19
imthegrumpyone

Printing ahh ! don't worry just as long as no one can read it you have no problem.
Old December 28, 2012, 08:16 AM   #20
Ozzieman

Back when I was working in a gun store, on Friday nights I and another employee would go to a well liked fish restaurant and have a late dinner. Did it almost every week.
Got to be friends with a very pretty waitress and after doing this for a year or more she came to the table one night and in a low voice said “I like it when you two come in, I feel safer.” And she looked at my waist where an N frame S&W was concealed.
I asked her how she knew. From the cloths we wore she knew we worked in the gun store down the street and she knew we were carrying.
Within a year she purchased a revolver from us and took training from a local woman’s shooting club.
I agree with others here that most people have their heads so far up there I-pods or cell phones that they wouldn’t notice a gun even when it was pointed between their eyes. But there are a lot of smart people that see everything.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old December 28, 2012, 08:57 AM   #21
chaim

I think you'll be OK, though as others said, it does depend upon state law. I live in MD which is not shall issue (actually getting a permit is nearly impossible unless you are a business owner with large cash deposits or you are politically connected), so I can't carry here. Other than VA and PA (the states where I carry most often and thus am most familiar with the laws), I usually just assume that the gun must be completely concealed as some states can be pretty harsh if you print or your covering garment reveals the gun. In those cases, I go with the smallest gun and most concealable carry method. As others have said, most people won't notice, but then, most people are polite enough (or scared enough) that they probably won't let you know if they notice the gun anyway so I'm not taking any chances.

Quote:
Unless I see a man who's openly gay (not being pejorative), I assume any guy wearing a fanny pack is carrying.
Hmm, gay men tend to be more fashion conscious than average. Yes, it is a stereotype, but from what I saw when in my retail days, it is often true. Granted, I have had gay friends who are far from that stereotype, and straight friends who are quite dapper (I used to be as well), but generally, I think it is the middle aged family man who is the most likely to be wearing a fanny pack if he isn't carrying.
Old December 28, 2012, 03:14 PM   #22
godot

Chaim,
Don't want to argue about this but there seems to be only 3 types on men I see wearing fanny packs. They are Gay or tourists or carrying. I don't mean to offend anyone on this board who wears a fanny pack. It's a free country, do what you want, but you are likely to be viewed in one of the above mentioned categories, at least to me.
Old December 28, 2012, 04:47 PM   #23
Mobuck

So, does a queer tourist with a CCW carry 3 fanny packs?
The summer I spent working in Colorado was most informative as to what is carried by men(?) and which men carry a firearm. I saw lots of fanny packs, lots of the smallish one shoulder packs, lots of man purses, lots of floppy,sloppy shirts, and the occasional open carry guy. I even saw a few guys who , like me, wore a vest. I was asked several times how the fishing was on the river.
One day, I thought I could slip into the QT and grab a cup of coffee. Got inside and realized I'd forgot to put on my vest. Oh well, it'll only take 15 seconds. Must have been a bus around back and suddenly the place was flooded with customers. I had to stand in line for 10 minutes waiting to pay with all these tree hugging tour bus types getting way too close. Nobody noticed. Not even the guy who barged into me and almost dumped my coffee.
Keep that elbow tucked and wear a snug holster.
Old December 29, 2012, 12:22 AM   #24
4thHorseman

I have to agree with most of the posters that most people who do not carry have no idea of a "print." Most see it and think it is a cell phone, knife or some other device other than a gun.
However, I can pick out a print in a split second only because I am conscientious of it because I carry. Most people that carry can also but obviously will never say anything.
The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once." -- Justice Alex Kozinski, US 9th Circuit Court, 2003
Old December 29, 2012, 12:31 AM   #25
TennJed

Police tend to drive up through my neighborhood at night (I am thankfull for that). I personaly would want the police to slow down and take a look at me when I am walking at night, and in turn I don't feel I need to give them any reason to stop and talk to me