The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 22, 2010, 10:36 PM   #1
ddesness

New to forum

Hey fellas,
New to this forum.
I have a noobie question.
I'm looking to get a semi auto shoty.
I have limited my options to
Benelli m2(have shot a couple benellis, barely any recoil for me, easy cleaning and I feel like it a workers gun)
Maxxus hunter(never shot browning before, seems like a worker gun)
Winchester sx3(not too shure about this gun lol)
Price range doesn't matter
Mainly looking for a working gun that will handle and condition
Thanks fellas
Old December 23, 2010, 03:54 AM   #2
zippy13

Greetings ddesness, and welcome aboard.

IMHO, before you decide, get some trigger time with all three guns if at all possible. Can you give us an idea of what you think you'll to be doing with your new gun? What environment, hot and dry -- cold and wet?
Old December 23, 2010, 07:22 AM   #3
rigby06

Benelli M1 Series

The Benelli M1 and its later generations is one of the fastest shooting shotguns in the world. You can do 8 shots in under 2 seconds with it.

The Winchester SX3 from what I understand it is made by FN, FN makes very good weapons.

I have a Benelli M1 best shotgun I ever bought, I have mixed and matched the load, all in the same magazine tube, target load, 00 buck, and slug it shot them all without a hitch, your shoulder can feel the difference but the gun cycling did not miss a beat.
Old December 23, 2010, 07:52 AM   #4
DiscoRacing

Welcome.... I have a Beretta AL2...nearly Benelli... love it.
Old December 23, 2010, 12:42 PM   #5
BigJimP

Welcome .....

Browning - Winchester are both owned by FN these days. The Winchester SX 3's are very similar / to the Browning silver series ( activ valve systems, etc).

I like the inertia systems - they shoot cleanly / but unless you buy the versions with the "comfort tech" recoil supression system in them ( they have chevrons that compress in the synthetic stocks ) then it'll give you about 25% more recoil than a typical gas operated semi-auto shotgun.

As long as you stay with Browning, Winchester, Beretta and Benelli shotguns - you won't find a bad gun in the mix. They're different - they "Fit" differently --- have different stock dimensions - different drop at comb, drop at heel, lenght of pull, etc ...so you have to decide what best suits you.

For a good all around gun - some clays, some hunting, etc - personally I like a semi-auto shotgun with a 30" barrel. The longer barrel gives me a longer sight plane - and smooths out my swing on follow thru / especially on the lighter guns - like some of the Benelli's. If you think 30" is too long / or it doesn't feel right - then go with the 28" barrel. In most issues a gun chambered in 3" is plenty / gives you plenty of options for shells. Some guns are chambered in 3 1/2" - and marketed to the waterfowlers - so you can shoot super magnums ....but I've never seen the need for a 3 1/2" gun.

For a first shotgun - I would recommend a gun that comes with some adjustability - like shims between the receiver and the stock - so you can adjust the angle of the comb a little. Beretta, Benelli - and some of the Brownings have shims / but a lot of models don't ... If you're looking at any used guns - make sure they have changeable screw in chokes. Some guns made prior to 1980 or so / will not have changeable chokes.

and shoot as many guns as you can before you decide ... hang out at a gun club / ask about what guys are shooting - and why ...and would they buy it again. You'll probably see some trends ... on the "budget end" and on the "higher end" ...and it'll help ...
Old December 23, 2010, 07:08 PM   #6
oneounceload

Quote:
and I feel like it a workers gun
Not sure what you mean by that...............

there are many good shotguns..(not shoty) that can be used for your requirements
Old December 24, 2010, 03:01 PM   #7
ddesness

Oneounceload I meant the gun needs to work in all conditions. I'll mostly be in cold conditions.
Old December 26, 2010, 10:11 AM   #8
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Welcome to the BB. Any of the guns on your short list will do the job.

Get the one that feels best.