The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 17, 2010, 10:03 PM   #1
bcrash15

Pistol grip/recoil reducing stocks for injuries

I've started to look into these recently because due to a recent injury, I no longer have full strength and dexterity in my “trigger” hand and the position required to hold the factory stock up to my shoulder quickly causes aching in that hand. A pistol grip would give a much better “fit” for my range of motion. Also, my shoulder was hurt, healed now but still a bit sore at times. But to facilitate easier (on me) shooting, I've been looking at recoil reducing stocks for my 18” 870. I use it as an HD gun, but also for general shooting/plinking. One in particular I’ve seen is the Knoxx/Blackhawk recoil reduction stock (http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Spe...k,1157,165.htm). I have heard a lot of complaints about “cheek slap” with this stock and am trying to get advice. I am 6’ and have slightly longer than normal arms if that is any help in the fitment department. I see they make a “powerpak” (http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Pow...ce,212,167.htm) for the gun that adds a cheek piece (the kit has a high one specifically for optics, I am talking about the low one see installed here http://www.rem870.com/2009/12/03/bla...-piece-system/), but I am not sure how effective this would be or if it might affect sighting using the stock bead or possibly a ghost ring setup in the future. Also, with that recoil absorbing sliding motion right near your face, is there any sort of a pinch hazard or anything?
Old December 18, 2010, 07:11 AM   #2
LilHog

I have an 870 with an 18" barrel and a knoxx recoil absorbing stock on it, and it's a dream to shoot. I have no issues at all with cheek slap and I keep the stock in it's almost shortest position as I am a smaller sized shooter. I would highly recommend it to anyone looking to reduce recoil. I also had shoulder surgery 10 months ago and the knoxx has helped me continue shooting and enjoying the sport I love. It can also be shot just holding the pistol grip with the stock fully retracted and it's also good like that. The recoil reduction that this stock provides is very nice, it takes the sharp edge off it and makes it enjoyable.

Last edited by LilHog; December 18, 2010 at 10:49 AM.
Old December 18, 2010, 08:42 AM   #3
Gorky_Park

I'm in the same boat as OP, have been researching on this stock for awhile now. Everyone says that the folks that experience cheekslap hold the stock too tight and not allow for the system to work...In the instructions it says to keep the firearm somewhat loose in your hands to allow for springs inside to move and absorb recoil. I am going to try the NRS version first since it is less than half of the price of original and see how that works...my shoulder was black and yellow from 2 3/4 slugs the other week so hopefully the pad on the NRS model will be wider/softer.

Alot of info is on shotgunworld too.
Old December 18, 2010, 10:27 AM   #4
zippy13

bcrash15, sorry to hear of your accident and subsequent disability, hopefully your strength and dexterity will improve.

Thinking outside of the box: Have you tried the armpit gun mount employed by many exhibition shooters? It may work for you with your present condition. A few of the members of my club have practiced the mount, with the butt tucked up in their arm pit, and do surprisingly well on the Skeet field. This method might allow you to shoot without changing your existing stock. Once you adapt to the vertical sight offset required, it's much the same as shooting a conventionally mounted gun.
Old December 22, 2010, 06:45 PM   #5
bcrash15

Thanks for the support! I am continuing to get better so maybe one day I won't have to worry about it anymore.

I was just especially concerned about the cheek slap because nearly all the picture and videos on the manufacture's page and elsewhere show the shooter holding the stock in a position that the instructions said to avoid due to the slap. So what I was interpreting from that is the the natural, instinctive hold would cause problems. That's a good point about keeping your hold loose, I have found several people that say that you will defeat the recoil absorbing springs by trying to muscle or rigidly holding the fore end in addition to crushing the stock into your shoulder.

Zippy, do you have any additional info on that armpit hold? I googled it and found a few forums conversations about it, but not a good primer or picture for me to try it out. I would like to give it a go as well as I will probably not be changing my skeet gun stocks.
Old December 22, 2010, 09:35 PM   #6
mete

Some of the Benelli shotguns have gel panels and recoil pad that absorb recoil. Check it out !
Old December 23, 2010, 12:09 AM   #7
zippy13

bcash15,
Now, I wish I'd paid more attention the the armpit crew. I can tell you what little I remember.

It seems no matter what odd-mount your select (in the armpit, behind the back or inverted over head), there are some seeming constants. First, it seems the tricksters keep the gun pretty much locked in. For horizontal movement they don't swing the gun, but the whole body. As they track the target, left or right, the whole body moves keeping the barrel pointed where the shooter is looking. Initially the head is held square/erect, and as it tilts to see the target, the gun is raised or lowered according.

The trick part of this kind of shooting is leaning what's the appropriate vertical space to see, for each of your trick mount positions -- how much do you float the target? I'd start out with a static target like a near-in patterning board. After you get that dialed in, then you can switch to wing shooting.

As I recall, the armpit crew used to spend a lot of time at Skeet's station 1, high house (where the target is presented directly above your head) fine tuning their float. After they were comfortable that they were seeing the proper space, and powder puffing targets, they'd shoot a regular round of Skeet or random targets with reasonable success.

Of course, success with non-standard gun mounts will have a lot to do with how much experience you have shooting in the normal manner. If you don't already have an intimate relationship with Skeet's or Trap's hold points and leads, then trick shooting is going to take longer to master. Years ago, there was a young shooter at our club who could effortlessly smoke a pair doubles from Skeet's station 4. With almost any odd mount, he made it look effortless. It didn't hurt that Al was the reigning NSSA World HOA Champion.
Old December 23, 2010, 07:02 PM   #8
oneounceload

The main thing with a pistol grip like an AR, is that a lot of the recoil is transmitted directly to your hand - depending on your affliction, that may or may not be desirable.

I see a lot of folks talking about putting even shorter LOP stocks on their guns and when they do, complaining about getting cheek slap....it's because the gun doesn't fit, plain and simple. If you have to scrunch up a lot on the stock, it is to short and it is going to hurt, especially with hot buck or slug loads