The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 17, 2008, 09:10 PM   #1
bclark1

Stand Rotation

Here's one for ya:

How do you rotate your stands over the course of a season? Particularly for a relatively small land area?

I usually spend at least the first 3-4 days of WI gun season continuously on a 30-acre plot, and may come back for late-season dates if I've got the time. The answer will probably vary based on the property, so I'll describe it a little. It's basically a long-ish rectangle with a steep finger going down the middle. On the one end is a cabin and mostly open ground. The rest of the finger is farmed. Down the right side is a pretty average wooded draw, and the left is considerably steeper with a pond, creek and small valley. That's basically how the turf is for miles, agriculture on the flat parts and woods on the steep parts.

I have three stands, because honestly, 30 acres with a rifle ain't much and collectively they give me a pretty good view of the area; and if I can't hit something it's easy to descend an get into a better position. The first stand is up on the farmed area. The other two have relatively good views of the slopes on either side. There's also a couple ground blinds, basically fox holes with branches or pallets piled around them for a steady rest and cover.

So the answer is "hunt the wind," right? Even though deer can come from any angle, I generally try to, leaving the most-travelled paths in my face with the wind. But sometimes it just seems like there's not a prevailing wind - the terrain features really cause it to whip around and it seems like it's blowing a completely different direction every few minutes sometimes. So I try to plan for thermals, higher in the morning and lower in the evening. And all that usual good stuff.

So I guess that's a really long intro. I just wanted to express the "obvious" stuff, and inquire more about the empirical, the voodoo, the rules of thumb. After you dismount a stand to grab lunch, would you come back that evening or let it rest for a day or two? Is it blown for the season? Would you try your evening blind the next morning, and your morning stand 2 evenings later? Etcetera.

Realistically, the hunting pressure from a gun season probably means all bets are off for a parcel that size. And it's not like I've been particularly unlucky. But I was just wondering what peoples' thoughts are on whether to reuse stands, and if so how often, or if you generally consider any mature deer spooked out of an area and think you'd be better off checking a fresh spot to best your chances?
Old October 17, 2008, 09:23 PM   #2
clt46910

Back when I hunted a lot and I had a lot more free time. I would go to the blind often two months before the season. The deer will be use to you being there. Just sit there and watch them. They will get use to you being there. Opening day, you are there and they are use to you. You just have a gun this time...LOL

I hunted West Texas many years back. They had the old one lunger gas engines then. They would backfire a lot. The deer got so use to the backfire, if you missed them with a rifle shot and it did not hit the ground close to them, they never even looked up. Keep your blinds in a common area year round and let them get use to you being here. Put some old smelly clothes in it if nothing else. Never tried that for deer, but might work.
Old October 17, 2008, 09:33 PM   #3
fisherman66

Quote:
So the answer is "hunt the wind," right?
yup

Quote:
After you dismount a stand to grab lunch, would you come back that evening or let it rest for a day or two? Is it blown for the season? Would you try your evening blind the next morning, and your morning stand 2 evenings later? Etcetera.
I have no problem going back to the same spot that evening even if I've made a kill right there in the morning. I keep my boots pretty well sprayed down with scent killer and get in and get out without lingering. I gut downwind at least 50 yards just to leave less of my scent in the area.
Old October 18, 2008, 12:53 AM   #4
SWMAGMAN

These are all conditions I am extremely familiar with. Some of my strategies: Wisconsin deer season opener can sound like an artillery battle. My opening day stand will be along traffic areas that "relaxed" deer utilize- your locals will move along these routes in reaction to the sudden influx of people into the woods, etc. As you get a day or two into season, those stands overlooking the best hiding areas for deer travel (or bedding) are better, as the deer become increasingly flighty and cautious (and less numerous). I would then, especially around Thanksgiving and the weekend after, hit those stands with the greatest overall visibility - in many areas, this is when people begin "deer drives" in earnest and non-local deer may get pushed thru the area - they will typically not follow the routes etc that the "locals" do. I play this strategy despite the wind (which I pay much more attention to for bowhunting), though I carry thru on the same strenuous odor-control strategies that I use during bow season - and of course you can get away with a bit more at gun hunting ranges. I also like to be the first guy in the woods - take my time getting out there to the stand and leave plenty of time for things to settle down around me, while people create commotion on adjoining properties.
Old October 18, 2008, 09:02 AM   #5
Rembrandt

We have about 12 (permanent) stands in our timber.....rather than rotate the stand it's easier rotate the hunter as conditions change.

Tags
blind , deer , stand , tree