The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 2, 2008, 09:03 AM   #1
iskjohnson

Remington Model 11 carrier problem

I have my grandfathers old model 11 which I am trying to make into a shooter. It is not in good enough shape to be collectible but looks to be good enough to fire. The carrier spring was broken so I replaced it. However, the carrier won't come back down once it goes up. I have taken the gun apart and all the pieces seem to be there and intact. I am not a gunsmith and can't figure out how it is supposed to work. Can anybody give me some advice?
Old March 2, 2008, 04:33 PM   #2
Scorch

The carrier is returned to the lower position by the bolt going home. If it does not return to the lower position, the small lever on the end of the carrier is either missing or damaged, or possibly the bolt is damaged.
Old March 14, 2008, 02:49 PM   #3
iskjohnson

Thanks. The carrier dog is there and appears in good shape, the spring feels good. I can't see any noticable damage to the bolt. When the carrier goes all the way up, the end of the carrier spring goes over a corner on the carrier and sort of locks it in the up position, but it looks like that is the way it is supposed to be. Is that correct? The only thing I can see that is missing is the fiber cusion in the back of the receiver. I appreciate the help.