The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 3, 2007, 04:39 PM   #1
ABL

Max. Case Overall Length

Hello Everyone,

Where can I find the Max. Case Overall Length???? I have the minimum in my manual but not the Max.
Please respond if you know something...

Thanks, ABL
[email protected]
Old April 3, 2007, 05:19 PM   #2
CrustyFN

I'm not sure other than a reloading manual. I have the Speer #13 manual and it list the max OAL on the first page of each caliber. You might want to buy another manual.
Rusty

Edit: sorry I just reread your post and saw you were talking about case length not OAL. The Speer manual gives the max case length in the same place as OAL and also has a trim to length.
Old April 3, 2007, 07:44 PM   #3
Scorch

Max case overall length or max cartridge overall length? Case max length is listed in all the manuals I have ever seen. Overall loaded cartridge length is generall listed with each bullet type. By max overall length, I am assuming you mean SAAMI max cartridge length specification.
Old April 4, 2007, 08:00 PM   #4
Shoney

Your question is a little confusing, because the terms you use are not applicable. I think you are talking about the trim length of a case. The brass with no bullet present is the case. Once the bullet is in place with primer and powder, it is a cartridge.

There is a maximum case length - the maximum length a case may reach before it should be trimmed back; and

Trim length of a case - the length to which a case should be trimmed, after it has stretched past its "maximum case length".

An incomplete listing of rifle case trim lengths here
http://www.reloadbench.com/cart.html

An incomplete listing of pistol case trim lengths here
http://www.reloadbench.com/cartp.html

The OAL - Over All Length, or sometimes called the COL - Cartridge Overall Length; it is measured from bullet tip to base of case. This length is generally the longest length a cartridge can be to fit in the average standard chamber of the weapon, while being short enough to fit in the average magazine. The best OAL (the distance off the lands) for any given weapon varies, and is another consideration altogeter.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old April 4, 2007, 10:18 PM   #5
mc223

See the link. This will tell you how long your cases can be. The link is for a 22 cal. You did not specify what caliber you are working with. They have most common calibers.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/...224&type=store
Old April 4, 2007, 10:21 PM   #6
ABL

Yes, you guys are right and I'm not. I meant Max. Cartridge Overall Length. That is what I cannot find.
By the way I'm working with 9mm Luger at this time.

Thanks, ABL
[email protected]
Old April 4, 2007, 10:33 PM   #7
mc223

In that case, I just seat the bullet so the cartridge fits in the magazine. That is the ultimate max.
Old April 7, 2007, 01:36 AM   #8
ABL

Okay, hadn't thought about that one...

Thanks, ABL
[email protected]
Old April 7, 2007, 08:23 AM   #9
jsr76

Barnes triple shock

I'm new here so please forgive me if I've interrupted. I have a question but I'm not sure how to start a new thread since I just joined today. I'd like to know if anyone has expierience with the Barnes Triple Shock bullets in a .300 Winchester magnum.
Old April 8, 2007, 09:52 PM   #10
amamnn

COL is a reference only in loading manuals. Your results may vary.