The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 20, 2002, 03:27 PM   #1
y2jrock60

Ar15-m16

I just want to thank the people who replied to my other question about the M16. I got exactly what I wanted.
Ive always wanted to own an M16 but their very expensive and I dont want to have to put up with the NFA papers right now so I am thinking about purchasing an AR15. Can someone tell me the differences about the AR15 to a M16A2. I know the A2 shoots semi or burst but the AR15 shoots only semi. Just wanted to know what the differences bettwen gun features were and if their is any sighting differences and if so, would it be possible to customize the AR15 to the specfics of the A2. Thx
Old November 20, 2002, 04:11 PM   #2
Derek Zeanah

You can get an AR-15 in A2 configuration with a 20" barrel and be really close to the M16A2. Differences include the lack of a flash hider or bayonet lug on post-ban models.

Beyond that you won't see much of a difference other than what you've mentioned. Assuming slight differences in the bold and trigger don't concern you.

The rule of thumb concerning brands is ABC -- Armalite, Bushmaster, and Colt are your best bets. Note that some (all?) Colts have some modifications to the AR line that prevent them from using more standard parts.

"An elective despotism was not the government we fought for."
--Thomas Jefferson
Old November 20, 2002, 07:30 PM   #3
Redlg155

Other than the obvious differences in the bolt carrier, auto sear and trigger mechanism there really is no difference between the AR15 and the M16A2 in the pre ban version, the exception being Colt which has a few more parts to make it politically correct.

And of course with the post ban versions you don't have a bayo lug or flash supressor, although there are muzzle brakes out there that look like the real McCoy.

There are a good many AR15s out there made up from a mix of M16 and AR15 parts.

As mentioned previously, most Colts produced for the civilian market are are different in the front takedown pin as well as having a sear block installed. You can find them with size takedown pins, no sear blocks and ones converted to push pins, but they are at a premium.

Good Shooting
RED