The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 19, 2013, 08:18 AM   #1
Reef

Live Primers

Need some help. Included in my reloading setup that I purchased from a gentleman on Craig's List is a large bag of 45 ACP brass that has been primed. Now the brass is discolored and since I don't know what primer was used I was wondering the best way de-prime them so I can start over. I'm talking maybe 400 rounds.
Old January 19, 2013, 08:24 AM   #2
Bud Helms

I have safely deprimed brass in this condition, but there are different ideas about safety in this situation.

Moving to Reloading ...
Old January 19, 2013, 08:38 AM   #3
hodaka

I've deprimed hundreds and usually reused the primers. Never had one pop on me but I wear safety glasses and go slowly. A regular sizing die works fine.
Old January 19, 2013, 08:42 AM   #4
Reef

I was planning on using the Lee Universal de-priming die.
Old January 19, 2013, 10:30 AM   #5
USMC EOD

Probably the safest way to do this would be to load the brass into your gun one at a time, then fire it into a safe direction. At this point, just treat it like any other fired brass.

But if you do insist on using a press, be sure to wear safety glasses. Better yet, a face sheild. Also, long sleeve sweatshirt might help to protect your arms.
Old January 19, 2013, 11:54 AM   #6
jcwit

Gently push the primers with the decapping die, then use the primers in cases you feel safe with and load to a moderate charge and use for practice. With the cuttent shortage of primers there is no reason I can see to waste them.
Old January 19, 2013, 11:58 AM   #7
jcwit

Quote:
But if you do insist on using a press, be sure to wear safety glasses. Better yet, a face sheild. Also, long sleeve sweatshirt might help to protect your arms.
Say WHAT? For why?

Ever actually look at a decapping die? The case is entireally enclosed by the die, if perchance the primer EXPLODES the primer cup and anvil are going to exit the bottom of the presses ram. Nothing is going to fly out up across or anywhere else. Its a primer, not a bomb.
Old January 19, 2013, 12:32 PM   #8
Xfire68

Quote:
Ever actually look at a decapping die? The case is entireally enclosed by the die, if perchance the primer EXPLODES the primer cup and anvil are going to exit the bottom of the presses ram. Nothing is going to fly out up across or anywhere else. Its a primer, not a bomb.
It is a good idea to ware safety glasses. Even tho it is unlikely a primer will even go bang does not mean you should tell someone to disregard common safety equipment that should be used when doing any reloading.

I have removed 100's of live primers as well using sizing dies as well as universal decapping dies. Never had one go bang. I also reused them all later with 100% success.
Old January 19, 2013, 12:36 PM   #9
Sevens

I have experience in decapping live primers also, but I'd suggest an ENTIRELY different route for you to skin this cat.

.45 Auto is a (relatively) low pressure round. It doesn't run the ragged edge of sanity. I think in your position, it's a better idea to use the brass as it sits right now and make some starting or mid-range loads with them.
Old January 19, 2013, 12:43 PM   #10
mikld

Removing "live" primers; piece 'o cake, just run 'em through the sizing/decapping die. I've done quite a few and none have popped. But Sevens had a very good idea, just load them with starting loads (even if the primers are magnums, nuttin' will happen).
Old January 19, 2013, 03:52 PM   #11
g.willikers

Why not try a few of the empty, primered cases and see if they go bang.
If so, just use the brass as is.
.45 acp aren't picky about primers.
Old January 19, 2013, 04:04 PM   #12
chris in va

Ditto. Load a few and see what happens.
Old January 19, 2013, 04:38 PM   #13
Kilroy08

As long as the brass is just discolored and doesn't have any grime or crud, I would say load it up for target grade ammo. I would advocate being conservative in charge weight. You don't know what brand or type of primers are in there. I standardized on magnum primers for pistols since that was all I could get for a while, he might have done likewise.

If depriming and cleaning is the route you want to take, my vote would be a Lee decap die, safety glasses, and save the primers for target grade ammo.
Old January 19, 2013, 05:11 PM   #14
jcwit

Quote:
It is a good idea to ware safety glasses. Even tho it is unlikely a primer will even go bang does not mean you should tell someone to disregard common safety equipment that should be used when doing any reloading.
Never "told" anyone to do anything. Just stated the fact that the depriming die encloses the case and that the primer cup and anvil will exit the bottom of the presses ram.

Do it behind a steel shield if you wish.

Myself I wear safety glasses, and have since perscription glasses have been safety. I cannot remember not wearing glasses, probably started at around 2/3 years old. I do however remember glasses breaking tho.
Old January 19, 2013, 05:21 PM   #15
wncchester

I've decapped hundreds of live ones normally, not one has popped. Fear of primers is vastly over rated; primers are quite small, they are not sticks of dynamite. If one did go off while decapping normally it will hardly matter because the whole thing is well enclosed by the die and a popped primer sure won't blow a steel decap assembly out of the top of a die! What COULD be a mistake would be to allow a pile of live ones to collect in the catcher because it MIGHT be that if one does go the cup could/maybe/possibly go down with enough force to set the collection off - but that's quite unlikely too.

If the brass is simply discolored, load and shoot it. Shiney cases aren't more accurate nor are they any safer to use than tarnished stuff.
Old January 19, 2013, 05:28 PM   #16
Goatwhiskers

Anybody remember the original Lee Loader? You put the primer on the base, set the case on the base, and tapped the primer into place using a mallet and a little rod with a small cup in the end. I popped several primers till I learned how, little bitty pop, little smoke, no damage to anything. Darn, fellas, these things ain't dynamite, just be a little careful! As others said, I too have pressed many live primers out and reused them, just push them out slow and easy, not your normal gorilla stroke. GW
Old January 20, 2013, 09:16 AM   #17
rodfac

I too have de-primed a lot of live primers...not hundreds but a cpl dozen...and with no problems.

I do think that since the decapping pin is pushing down on the "anvil" portion of the primer's interior, it may crack or damage the "pellet" which is the firing compound. For me, that negates reusing them...I want consistent ignition in any rounds I assemble...a damaged "pellet" makes that problematic. I'd not trust the rounds so assembled.

I also think that if you're using that .45 ACP as practice ammunition, and you are doing defensive drills which include double taps or controlled pairs, you may risk lodging a bullet in the barrel with disastrous consequences.

JMHO, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old January 21, 2013, 08:44 AM   #18
Reef

Thanks to all for the great info.
Old January 21, 2013, 11:21 AM   #19
Edward429451

Quote:
I can't say you're wrong, but I tend to agree with jcwit. It's just not that dangerous. The downside to saying one needs faceshields, glasses & a hazmat suit is that it could change the perceptions to the point that all of a sudden we can't reload anymore because the nanny state says it's too dangerous.

By all means, be safe and practice reasonable safety precautions, but let's keep it in perspective, shall we?
Old January 21, 2013, 01:23 PM   #20
Gbro

There have been a couple posts about how a primer IF it were to burn, that being up inside the resizing/decapping die makes it so much less hazardous.
well i have never had one go off and have de-primed my share using the press.
IF one were to burn, where it is and the path that they normally fall, well thinking about it, a soft cotton rag resting on top of the catch tray might be a good safety precaution along with the always wearing eye protection.
Of course some presses have a much better used primer catch system where they go through the bench to a tray or canister.
What is that old saying about fun and games???
And I have had a number of primers burn while seating with the old Lee hand tools and they just are not big bangers like the Battery cup shot shell primers.
I had one of them go bang and that, being so very un-expected made me jump!
And as for reusing those primers, i did have a miss fire and that lot of reloads was marked recycled primers and when i pulled the bullet the primer hadn't burned.
As for popping primers in your gun just to render them safe, well i did that only once with just a couple and never again. They leave a lot of soot!!!
My $0.10
Old January 21, 2013, 03:11 PM   #21
Reef

Well I went with using the Lyman Universal de-priming die and went slow, no issues at all removing all 300 primers, now what do I do with them?
Old January 21, 2013, 03:38 PM   #22
Gbro

Re-use them in plinking rounds or give them to someone at the range.
I would not toss them in a garbage can and any thoughts of rendering them inert by soaking in WOG (water, oil or gas) would be a guess. Their are local protocol's in may city's for ammo disposal that you may find to your liking, I would use them up as stated in first sentance.
Old January 21, 2013, 04:51 PM   #23
spacecoast

If you're going to remove them and reuse them, then why remove them in the first place? If it were me, I would load a dozen of them with a minimal load and test them to make sure they work, then load the rest.
Old January 21, 2013, 05:00 PM   #24
edward5759

Location: Phoenix, AZ. 30 miles from water, two feet from Hell.
Agreed
The most that will happen is under ignition, or failure to fire, and delayed firing.

I had some old primers made back in the 30s that gave delayed firing of a few seconds. That is the most dangerous.

Load some up with a min load and see

They don't get stronger with age and turn into primer godzilla's!

Edward5759

This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" -Adolf Hitler,1935"