The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 9, 2010, 11:48 AM   #1
Jbotto

I guess I should introduce myself...

Hello everybody! I figured I should drop my first post, since I've been lurking around here the past few days. I'm in the process of getting started in reloading. I've been toying with the idea for years and my uncle finally talked me into it. I am a college student and am pondering with the idea of getting setup to roll at college or just leave it for when I come home. I've been looking on Ebay and Gunbroker for presses and really liking the deals I've come across. I have yet to decide what I'm going to buy but I've narrowed it down to a Lee or RCBS single stage. Also gave some thought to a Lee Hand Press, that I could easily have with me and store at school. Mostly I'll be reloading for a .223 in a Stevens 200. I've read the top thread about things I need to get before starting and am in the process of looking for a Speer Manual. (Heard they are great) Thanks in advance to all who help this newbie out!

-Jbotto
Old February 9, 2010, 12:21 PM   #2
dsv424

Welcome to the addictive world of reloading. Don't hesitate to ask questions as you get prepared for this wonderful hobby. If your married hope you have an understanding wife because she may start dis-liking your new toy. Have fun and be safe!
Old February 9, 2010, 12:25 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

Welcome to the forum.

Most of the manuals have some good information and some limitations. In the case of the Speer manual some overly warm loads are in it here and there. Teh first printing of the #14 had some pages misprinted, though new ones are fixed and Speer sends replacements out for the bad ones. I was told the ballistic tables had some errors in places, but I haven't looked. Sometimes people jsut don't read the tables correctly.

I like the Lyman Handloading Handbook as a broad source of general loading information. Richard Lee's Modern Reloading, likewise has good information, especially for Lee equipment. The load tables are culled from other sources, so they include some odd limits in places.

A good rule of thumb is to get load data from three different sources, then start with the lightest load listed among the three, and work up while watching for pressure signs. A good online source of data is on the Hodgdon.com site. That can be one of your comparisons.

For the .223, specifically, there are so many match shooters using AR's now, that lots of load information is available for it. Just keep in mind the longest and heaviest bullets need barrel twist rates for stability that are faster than are best with bullets at the light end of the range. So you will want to check your barrel's twist rate against the bullets you propose to load. I have a twist estimator you can download from my file repository, here.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 9, 2010, 12:25 PM   #4
CowTowner

Welcome!
Start here: http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230171

I did and it wasn't a mistake.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old February 9, 2010, 12:28 PM   #5
jimbob86

Welcome to the wonderful world of rollin' yer own!

I found that I did not save a whole lot of money, I just shot a lot more!
Old February 9, 2010, 02:32 PM   #6
Jbotto

Thanks everyone! Are you guys saying that I should avoid the Speer Manual and go a different route? I do not have a wife, but I'm still in school. I am guessing that handloading will start to be an "extraciricular" for me.

Thanks CowTowner! I already read that, and I liked what I learned from it. I am now waiting on just the right deal on Ebay or Gunbroker on a press... Should have one by the end of the month for sure!
Old February 9, 2010, 02:46 PM   #7
Shoney

jbotto

WELCOME TO TFL!!!!

You can never have too many load manuals. If I were forced to have just one, it would be the Lyman.

Read up, then come back to the forum with questions.

Good Shooting!
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old February 9, 2010, 03:54 PM   #8
88KEYS

Starting Out

Welcome and yes this gets addictive, I remember many years ago a guy that helped get me started said “you will like loading as much as shooting”, I thought he was nuts. I say now 30 years later he was very wise and found his comment to be true, I love loading. I have a few suggestions for what it is worth, new to this form and you will get help here.
I agree you can never have too many load books I must have a dozen, the Ken Waters Pet Load Book is great not cheap but great about $25.00. I also really like the one caliber books that cover about 7 load books they are great and cost $6.00. For bullets I love Graf & Sons and they sell some off brand stuff at good prices, the Privi bullets are great use the 168 Match in my M1A @600 yards. Midway is good and is where I started buying stuff, have good customer service. I have had both the Lee & RCBS hand primer, the Lee requires a different shell holder, and RCBS uses the same one you need for the press. I know Lee is less costly and have some Lee equipment. My Lee Hand Primer broke and was not as tough as the RCBS that is still in service. I started out and still use the RCBS Rock Chucker bought the starting kit that comes with most of what you need. I now also have a Dillon for high volume loading.
Also finding used stuff is fine RCBS and Dillon has life time warranty and have used them. I must plug Dillon; the bottom of my press broke the cast iron. I had owned it 10 years loaded thousands of rounds, they did not care. They told me to ship it back with a note about what was wrong. I was stunned about 6 weeks later it came back, did not know it was mine. They had it looking brand new and upgraded the primer system, had a brand new powder measure. The invoice listed nearly $200.00 in new parts and no charge! I found a small paint spot from when I painted my bench , so knew it was mine, just like new. Dillon is great have lost small parts and called they mail them at no cost!
Old February 10, 2010, 10:18 AM   #9
Uncle Buck

Manuals, Manuals and more manuals....

I have three that I primarily use (Speer #14, Hornady #7 and Nosler #6), but another half dozen on the shelf. I use them for researching different rounds and different loads.

I think it was Uncle Nick that originally recommended getting the load data from three different manuals and starting with the lowest and working your way up. (If it was you Uncle Nick, thanks!) At first I did not understand why, load data is load data and how much difference could there be? (Don't try to answer that. )

Using his suggestion I have developed loads that I really like. I have also developed more of an understanding of what different powders do, why they do it and using that information, I can get them to do what I want.

My only added word of caution is to repeat what has been said: Reloading is addictive. Have fun and always ask questions.
Old February 10, 2010, 10:39 AM   #10
sc outdoorsman

First off Welcome.
If you are going to reload at college you may want to check with your school and local ordinances, if you are on school property. If you are not careful you could stir up a real hornets nest.

Last edited by sc outdoorsman; February 10, 2010 at 10:46 AM.
Old February 10, 2010, 01:40 PM   #11
Jbotto

Thanks everyone! I have to put my reloading things off for another week, as my truck went in the shop this morning. Not a bad bill, but enough to damage "fun money." I will be buying a few manuals and books as well and then I'm planning on my press, dies, etc. Trying to keep things slow and cheap.

sc outdoorsman, thanks for the reminder. I had full intentions of planning on checking. At the school I am at, they have an on campus gunstorage in the Housing office and we are allowed to keep ammunition in our apartments, but I will for surely check on reloading and reloading supplies.
Old February 10, 2010, 02:30 PM   #12
sc outdoorsman

No trouble.
I have a daughter who started college this year and I had to remind her that some things that are innocent in their roots can be taken the wrong way and blown out of proportion. You really need to be careful in today's world. Enjoy your new hobby and be safe.
Old February 10, 2010, 04:08 PM   #13
James R. Burke

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like your starting out good. Make sure you have some manuals the more the better, and a crony is also very good to have. You can get a good one without spending a ton of money. You will like this forum I sure learned alot just reading the post. There are some great folks on here who I consider pro's that no what there doing, and there always willing to help anyone out. Have fun, and keep it safe. Welcome again!