The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 23, 2004, 10:46 AM   #1
radshop

Stevens 12ga Pump

My dad's Stevens 12ga pump has been safely locked in storage for about 10 years now, and it can be mine if I want to pay to have it shipped to me. I haven't seen the gun in about 15 years and don't know much about it. Anyone have any insight whether this would be a keeper (functionally, not sentimentally - it will stay in the family either way.) Issues I'm thinking of are reliability, availability of parts/accessories, etc. I guess the basic question is for those who have experience with a Stevens 12 ga pump, if you had one today would you keep it or sell/trade it?
Old December 23, 2004, 03:14 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

The Stevens pump guns were entirely serviceable shotguns.

Over the years, Stevens made about a dozen models of pump guns, and these were all good, utility-grade guns.

If you want a decent shotgun and it's in good condition, it's a keeper.

Gun Parts Corporation sells parts for all the Stevens guns, but like most American pump shotguns, you're unlikely to need any parts since most pumps are pretty strong and fool-proof.
Old December 23, 2004, 05:51 PM   #3
GunsnRovers

I've got a Stevens 620A from WWII. I love it. Great little riot gun I will never part with.

The reason we're all here is that we're not all there.
Old December 23, 2004, 06:29 PM   #4
radshop

Thanks for the help. I'll go ahead and have it sent to me - and give you a full report when I get it.