The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 30, 2023, 07:24 PM   #1
ligonierbill

CZ Rebate

I grew up with 16 gauge. First game I ever killed was with Dad's Hunter Arms Fulton, and I still have that gun. But time for it to retire, so I've been on the hunt for a "new" 16 double. After being outbid (I'm cheap) for a couple classics, I ordered a CZ Sharptail from Bud's. Maybe I'll be proven wrong, but Bud's seemed to have the best price, and they're advertising a $100 rebate from CZ USA. Still lurking on GB, but I promise to report on my experience with this new Turk when I have the chance to take her out.
Old November 1, 2023, 10:16 PM   #2
hammie

I started hunting with my dad's 16 gauge 60 years ago, and so I, too, have a nostalgic fondness for that gauge. I did not know that CZ offered their sharptail chambered for 16 gauge. It's not listed as a production gun on CZ's website, but, sure enough, BUD's is offering them. That particular gauge is fixed chokes, modified and improved cylinder, but that's a perfect set-up, and so no problem. I would choose something else for pass shooting waterfowl over decoys, but for everything else, the 16 gauge is hard to beat (if you can find the loads you need). The other nice thing, is that on a hunt, you don't have to worry about someone asking to borrow shells from you.

I did buy a 12 gauge sharptail SxS about a year ago. CZ shotguns had a reputation for firing pins breaking and the leaf springs for the hammers breaking. CZ totally redesigned the lock work and firing pins, and used coil springs for the hammers. CZ then invested in new CNC machinery at Huglu for the manufacture of their top tier doubles. One feature I like is the use of extractors only for their side by sides. I'm getting too old to bend down and pick up the spent hulls. I really like my sharptail, and I'm sure you will be pleased with yours.

Last edited by hammie; November 1, 2023 at 10:24 PM.
Old November 3, 2023, 12:11 PM   #3
armoredman

Most likely a special run for a certain distributor - CZ has done that for years. Look up the CZ 85 Compact for an example. It will likely be a very nice shotgun.
Old November 9, 2023, 01:22 PM   #4
ligonierbill

Got the CZ. Very nice, but we'll see how she shoots. I saw one review that panned the IC barrel. My choke gauge puts it between IC and cylinder, may a skeet choke. Left barrel is right on modified.

I did keep looking on GB, and have a Parker Trojan scheduled for delivery today. It's 16 ga, full and modified, 1924 by the serial number. So, I'm done buying shotguns (yeah, sure).