The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 28, 2015, 10:49 PM   #1
Model12Win

Federal .44 Special LSWCHP

Hey guys!

I have a new Charter Arms Bulldog that is quickly becoming one of my most favorite revolvers, and I plan to use it for cooler month EDC and as a primary sidearm while in the woods (Eastern Kansas) all year around, plus using it is a secondary home defense handgun and possibly while traveling.

Needless to say, I need a good defensive load for the gun. I've been doing tons of research online, trying to find a good load that will reliably expand from the 2.5" barrel on my Bulldog. So far, I've tried Winchester 200 grain Silvertips, Blazer 200 grain GDHPs, and Hornady 165 grain Critical Defense rounds in .44 special.

The only one I've shot is the Blazer load. It gets many recommendations as a top carry load for the Charter Arms Bulldogs... but unfortunately, my gun does not like the aluminum cases that round uses. They stick terribly in the chambers, and had to be plucked one by one from the back of the cylinder during reloads. All other loads using brass cases often just fell right out of the gun, I didn't even need to use the ejector most of the time.

As for the other loads, after some research, neither seem very satisfactory. The Hornady 165 grain load does seem to expand from the Bulldogs, but underpenetrates and will only go about 9-10" in ballistics gel. I would greatly prefer something that goes over 12" per the FBI recommendations, but not more than 15-16" or so as I don't want a round that will overpenetrate.

The Winchester 200 grain Silvertips apparantly used to be a great load, but the ones I have are new production with a supposedly tougher jacket that won't reliably expand at Bulldog velocities.

Enter the Federal 200 grain LSWCHP round.

I bought 3 boxes of these from GunBroker just a while ago, and am wondering if this would be a good load for the Bulldog. I have heard it sold under both the "Champion" and "Personal Defense" line, the three boxes I got were listed as the Personal Defense marked ones, though I beliveve it's the same load. I think I read that this uses a softer hollow point bullet and should expand, it looks quite like an enlarger "FBI load" which is a .38 special +P 158 grain LSWCHP.

I am just trying to get some feedback on this particular load form Federal, and to see if anybody else has any experience with it. Will this be a good defense load for my Charter Arms Bulldog with 2.5" barrel? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much all!
Old April 29, 2015, 12:30 AM   #2
Sgt127

I'm sure it would be fine. Likely just act as a .44 semiwadcutter. Which is not a bad thing. If you chrono that, I'll bet you would be shocked at how slow it goes out of a short barrel.

I've got a 696. I ran a few different factory loads through it. As I really can't recall the velocities. I wasn't impressed though. Until I remembered it was still a big chunk of lead.
Old April 29, 2015, 12:48 AM   #3
hartcreek

The problem is so many loads that others of us use in a more substancial .44 Special will be simply too much for a Charter Bulldog and your hand. If you used my loading you would be missing fingers. You may have to load a special .44 load just for that Bulldog.
Old April 29, 2015, 02:10 AM   #4
salvadore

I'm shooting a 200gr RN out of my 396 because thats the lightest .44 bullet I cast for. For a defense round I'm looking for a commercial cast WC @ around 180gr and see if I can push it over 700fps out of the 3" barrel.
Old April 29, 2015, 10:05 AM   #5
JERRYS.

Water jug test them. I know its not bal-gel, but at least you will be able to determine if they will expand at all at the speeds you get from a 2.5" bbl. if they wont expand in water, they wont do so in bal-gel.
Old April 29, 2015, 10:21 AM   #6
Bob Wright

For the short barrel guns I prefer the heavier bullets, 240~246 gr. The velocity is rather modest, but that chunk of lead gets the job done.

Many years ago I had a Charter Bulldog, and built my loads around .44 Russian brass. This provided more positive extraction with that short throw ejector.

And Speer had a half jacketed bullet with a pure lead core that worked real good.

Bob Wright

Last edited by Bob Wright; April 29, 2015 at 10:30 AM.
Old April 29, 2015, 11:20 AM   #7
Model12Win

Thanks all!

Jerry, I'll be doing a jug test soon with this load. Thanks for the recommendation!
Old May 6, 2015, 07:33 AM   #8
rodfac

I'd be interested in any leading from that Fed load. It looks like a dry lubricant in your pics...Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old May 6, 2015, 06:08 PM   #9
Model12Win

I bought 3 boxes of these from Gun Broker... but after further research, decided to pass on them so didn't go through with the payment (I contacted the seller, they understood and didn't blame me).

Appears these don't expand too well from Bulldog barrels, just not enough velocity.
Old May 6, 2015, 06:14 PM   #10
kilimanjaro

.44 Special is a great cartridge, I can recommend the Winchester.

If you don't reload, you've got a good reason to start. Tailored loads are ideal.
Old May 6, 2015, 06:17 PM   #11
jglsprings

Now what I want is some place I where I can get those bullets for reloading. That is what I want for Christmas.

I miss that 3/4 jacket Speer bullet "from the old days".

Commas save lives...
Old May 6, 2015, 07:18 PM   #12
mete

Old Speers ? I loved them and the jswchp I used for metallic silhouette and deer . Only one recovered from deer - 30" until stopped by the hide in the back end .expanded to .50. IIRC the bullets weren't pure lead , but 3 % antimony .That's how they got the penetration.

I wouldn't worry about the bullet weight for small game or defense. You've got a 44 which does a lot of damage even if it doesn't expand.

Everything started outwith the 44 Russian which was considered the most accurate handgun cartridge . When replaced by the 44 Special they never boosted velocity but kept the Russian velocity , only wanting the accuracy.This dispite the fact that most of the guns could go to about 1000 fps with the available guns and 200 gr.Excellent guns were chambered in the 44 Russian ,like the Remington Rolling Block Target.