The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 23, 2015, 09:15 PM   #76
Model12Win

UPDATE:

The Bulldog is back! Just picked it up today, and went straight to the range.

Charter fixed the issue, and it now is working great! Took it to the range today and sent 86 rounds of LAX brand 240 grain FMJ loads downrange. WOW!!!

This gun is so FUUUUNNN!!!!! It really has some thump to it, but with a firm grasp and with the Pachmayr compac grips I installed on it, recoil wasn't too bad. Reliability was 100%, and I just have to say that I'm going to have to start reloading .44 special because I'm taking this thing to the range on a regular basis. I know folks say that they aren't meant for too much shooting, but this one's going to get some rounds through it come hell or high water!

All in all, VERY pleased with Charter Arms customer service and in the .44 special Bulldog in general. It may very well be one of my new favorite revolvers!!!
Old April 23, 2015, 09:36 PM   #77
Cheapshooter

Tommy Theis sent me an email a couple days ago that my holster was done, and shipped. Got it Tuesday. I think I mentioned he does not have a blank for the Charter Bulldog, but I have heard a holster for a Ruger SP101 works well. So that is what I ordered. It does fit pretty good. The entire trigger guard is not covered, but the trigger is. Only the very back of the trigger guard, and a tiny sliver in front it is not covered. I think by following the tension adjustment instructions he meals to you when your holster is shipped I can make it fit even better. I have carried it a couple days now, and it is as concealed, and comfortable as any other guns in this type holster. I will give it some more break in time before I do some fine fitting.
I shot the Bulldog some more yesterday Still no pics, but let's just say I am very happy with it.
One question Winie, are the grips you added bigger, or smaller than what comes on it?
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old April 23, 2015, 09:46 PM   #78
Model12Win

Quote:
One question Winie, are the grips you added bigger, or smaller than what comes on it?
They are about the exact same size as the stock Charter Arms rubber grips that ship with the new Bulldogs, but are a bit fatter which is a good thing (for me) as it gives a very nice hand filling grip. They are the same length as the stock grips, maybe a couple millimeters shorter. I personally think they feel quite a bit better than the stock Bulldog grips (which are by no means bad) and they looks substantially better.

Here is a pic from today's range outing, and the first for this bulldog. Not the best picture I'll admit LOL!

Old April 23, 2015, 10:59 PM   #79
Model12Win

Quote:
Tommy Theis sent me an email a couple days ago that my holster was done, and shipped. Got it Tuesday. I think I mentioned he does not have a blank for the Charter Bulldog, but I have heard a holster for a Ruger SP101 works well.
Hey Cheapshooter, I went to the Theis website, and clicked on the revolver iwb holster. I then clicked the gun model box and low and behold, one of the options said Charter Arms Bulldog .44! I'm on my phone right now, but am planning to order this holster and try it out.
Old April 24, 2015, 12:34 AM   #80
rclark

Quote:
. I know folks say that they aren't meant for too much shooting, but this one's going to get some rounds through it come hell or high water!
Well, keep track please, and report back . I for one just shoot mine occasionally! I have my Ruger .44Spec flattop for 'high volume'.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old April 24, 2015, 07:18 AM   #81
Model12Win

I will keep a log for round count and will be watching for any issues that may crop up with the gun. The only thing is, with the cost of .44 special factory ammo, I'm going to have to take up handloading!
Old April 24, 2015, 07:37 AM   #82
JERRYS.

a good modest load for the lightly built bulldog is 240gr. SWC over 5.3 grains of Unique. will still get the job done but wont be hard on the gun.
Old April 24, 2015, 09:22 AM   #83
rclark

Quote:
I'm going to have to take up handloading!
Yep.... Volume shooting of .44 Special does require hand loading ... unless you have deep pockets. I like 6.0g Unique under 240g SWC for the Bulldog. For my 'other' .44Specials they get the Skeeter load (7.5g Unique under 240g SWC bullet).
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old April 24, 2015, 01:00 PM   #84
Model12Win

Thanks gang!

Well, I can't contain myself. I'm headed to the range right after work to shoot Mr. Bulldoggle again!! Mini range report to follow!
Old April 24, 2015, 05:39 PM   #85
Model12Win

Okay, just got back from the range.

Shot about 75 rounds of the same LAX 240 grain FMJ loads, and 15 rounds of Blazer 200 grain GDHP loads. All fired at 7 yards. I fired most of the Blazer loads into the head. Here is a range pic:

The gun shot everything very well! But, the aluminum cased Blazer ammo stuck in the chambers and didn't eject very well. I don't think that I'll be using it for defensive ammo. I had to pluck all the rounds out after getting them halfway out with the ejector rod. This disqualifies this ammo for defense use, needless to say.

During shooting, I did have the cylinder release button bind up once or twice. I believe the reason for this was due to the LAX reloaded ammo that I was firing. It was leaving behind significant amounts of gritty unburnt powder residue... after a few shots, I could feel it all over the gun and my hands. Upon inspecting the fired cases, there was quite a bit of unburnt powder residue in the bottoms. I blame this problem on the very dirty ammo, that otherwise shot fine. The gun's cylinder release button works perfectly fine now that I've got the gun cleaned up. I should note, this dog has some bite! Recoil was manageable with both loads, but after the hundred or so rounds I have a couple of small blisters on the web of my strong hand. Certainly not a .22 in terms of recoil!

I just have to say, I am DIGGING this gun. Not only does it look cool, but it feels great in hand with the new grips and balances well. It's got plenty of power for such a small and light gun, and has worked really well since Charter Arms repaired it. I look forward to shooting it more!!!
Old April 24, 2015, 06:46 PM   #86
rclark

Nice... But now you have to move out to 15Y, then 25Y . I like to hit the 77 yard metal targets with mine sometimes too. More challenging.
Old April 24, 2015, 07:02 PM   #87
Model12Win

Quote:
Nice... But now you have to move out to 15Y, then 25Y . I like to hit the 77 yard metal targets with mine sometimes too. More challenging.
Thanks! I was more concerned about how the gun was from a reliability standpoint. I'm not the best shot, but those Blazer GDHPs sure did group well. My first five shot group with them was below two inches... too bad they stuck so badly in the chambers! I've heard of that happening... the only bad thing about the .44 Bulldoggiedogglepies are the lack of good performing hollow points for the caliber out of the short 2.5" barrel on the new BeeDawgPupperPuppykins... at least ones that won't tear the gun apart! I'm about to say "to hell with it" and order some of the Buffalo Bore 180 grain hollow points. Like Buffalo Bore said, limited use of that load should be fine in the new Bulldogs, and boy do they seem like they'd gitter done!!! !!!
Old April 24, 2015, 11:46 PM   #88
JERRYS.

buy some SPEER gold dots AND some CCI gold dots. same ammo for the most part except the SPEER uses nickel plated brass.

load gun with SPEER gold dots, and keep a reload of the aluminum cased CCI gold dots.
Old April 25, 2015, 05:33 AM   #89
Model12Win

Jerry, I've read that the Speer load gets worse velocity than the Blazer load, which already doesn't meet the 800 FPS velocity needed for reliable expansion of the 200 grain Gold Dot bullet.
Old April 25, 2015, 06:08 AM   #90
JERRYS.

Mod12, with the 200 gr. slug and the wide hollow point face, I'd take the chance on account of increased velocity is at the cost of slower follow up shots from the increased recoil with the same weight bullet. also, the two rounds I mentioned are readily available at GM or Academy Sports in my area, no need for the wait of mail order and additional shipping costs.

I wish there were some ballistic jell tests with the various commercial rounds that are fired from a bulldog instead of longer barrel guns or test barrels.
Old April 25, 2015, 09:31 AM   #91
rclark

With the big 'fat' rounds, big hole, expansion isn't necessary. I load mine with SWCs for my SD needs (load what I shoot, and shoot what I load). And I would not load 'hot' .44Spec in the Bulldog.... At least I wouldn't. Standard pressure .44Spec only.
Old April 25, 2015, 09:32 AM   #92
Model12Win

I agree!

Most all the .44 special gel tests I've seen are being fired from larged .44 magnum revolvers with much longer barrels.

The only gel test I've seen where they used a Bulldog with 2.5" barrel, was a Hornady demonstration of their 165 grain Critical Defense load. Penetration was only 10.5" though and that was in bare gel. Not the best performance methinks. Here is the product page, the video can be seen in the video tab:

http://www.hornady.com/store/44-SPEC...tical-Defense/

As you can see, in the gel blocks they show and in the video, this round underpenetrates though it doesn't seem to be bothering Hornady LOL!

I have been in contact with two companies, Underwood Ammunition, and Cor Bon. Underwood offers a load called the "Bull Dog" made specifically for Charter Arms .44 specials, and it's a 200 grain GDHP bullet in a brass case that is a step up in velocity from the Blazer or Speer loads. It's designed to were it will be fast enough to expand from a Bulldog, but not so hot as to hurt the gun. They are out of stock right now, and I messaged them asking them to make some more. They said they've had some trouble finding the GDHP bullets to load the ammo, and said they are looking into making a batch of Bull Dog loads using Nosler 200 grain hollow point bullets instead. I'd prefer the GDHP bullet but I'm still going to buy several boxes of this load when Underwood finally makes some again.

As for Cor Bon, they make a 200 grain all copper DPX load that has gotten rave reviews, and seems like it will perform great from a Bulldog in the research I've done. I also messaged them, and they said they have gotten several requests to make a run of that load and to check back in about 90 days so hopefully they are making some. This is a warm load, but I think it should be okay in the Bulldog for light shooting and to carry.

Alas, finding good performing .44 special hollow point defense ammo for the .44 Bulldogs is quite a chore. Just not many options...
Old April 25, 2015, 10:54 PM   #93
WIN1886

Give the C.O.P. ( copper only projectiles ) 44 special 200 grain HP ammo a try....I've used it in other handgun calibers and it seems to perform pretty well and it is not that expensive in comparison to other defense ammunition prices ! The .44 special load advertises 200 grain HP@945fps which sounds like a good compromise without getting too hot for your small framed handgun ! Found mine at Midway for .38 special , 10mm auto , 44 magnum calibers !
Old April 26, 2015, 02:01 AM   #94
Model12Win

Thanks for the suggestion. I've seen that load for sale online, I wonder what barrel length that velocity is from? I take any factory muzzle velocity with a grain of salt. It's almost totally meaningless unless it was specifically recorded from a specific gun and barrel length, like how Buffalo Bore does.
Old April 28, 2015, 08:12 AM   #95
JERRYS.

I had to post some pix because, well because I like guns. here are three charter arms revolvers: an 80s Off Duty .38, a charter 2000 .44, and a 1973 Bridgeport made bulldog .44. the Bridgeport .44 lost timing twice. the second time in the shop (I paid for both repairs), they had to replace the cylinder and crane in order to get it timed right. you might notice the matt black/bluing of the new version cylinder and crane compared to the beautiful polished bluing on the original frame and barrel. also the ejector rod has a shield as part of the new crane, which is different from the original guns. I haven't shot the 44s since I got them back, will report on those results. the Off Duty is one of my best revolvers, and its timing and lock up are still tighter than Dick's hatband.

Old April 28, 2015, 07:36 PM   #96
Duster340

Nice Jerry. Glad to see you got your CA's back. Enjoy!
Old April 30, 2015, 10:53 AM   #97
JERRYS.

well, range trip went well. both bulldogs functioned as they should. the Charter 2000 is noticeably tighter than the Bridgeport gun even with its news cylinder and crane. the 1980s Off Duty is still putting both of them to shame with regards to well it has held up. after sorting brass I found that some primers are struck off center, though i do not know which gun did this because i didn't check at the time i was firing. both have new cylinders and cranes, so it wont be until my next outing when i can take note of the culprit. .44 special loads were 240SWC over 5.3 grains of Unique. this is about the best Bulldog load I've found that is reasonably comfortable to shoot but still smacks the plates with authority.

Old May 1, 2015, 10:14 AM   #98
JERRYS.

Mod12, look at these links.

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/C...X%20Report.htm

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/C...045%20Colt.htm

these are from a 3" bbl, and while your gun has a 2.5" bbl, the velocities and bullet performances will be quite similar.