The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 30, 2011, 06:53 PM   #1
Masa

Savage 340

Hi everyone, my grandfather gave me a savage 340 rifle in 30-30 for my birthday this year. It fires fine but it just doesn't look good. The stock near the butt of the rifle has a few large craters in the wood and the front has a lot of scratchs. All the metal parts on the gun are also starting to loose their bluing. I want to fix this.

I've been doing a bit of research and it seems like the best way to repair the stock is to get some wood filler and then stain over it. Would this work?

Also would the liquid perma blue kit work well to re blue the metal?
Old November 30, 2011, 07:37 PM   #2
jmr40

You have 3 choices in my opinion.

#1 Take it somewhere and have it done right by a professional and spend more than the gun is worth.

#2 If you're going to bubba it, a can of Krylon works and looks better than a refinsh by someone who doesn't know what he is doing.

#3 Live with it.

Personally I'd choose either #2 or #3 on that rifle. They have a small following, are decent guns, but not worth a lot of money.
Old November 30, 2011, 08:05 PM   #3
Abel

Quote:
It fires fine but it just doesn't look good.
I would leave it as is. Its a good old rifle. If it has been used, its gonna look like it.

I would use Tru Oil if you decide to refinish. There is plenty of info online on how to apply this product to firearms.
Old November 30, 2011, 08:09 PM   #4
Crosshair

Those 340 30-30's are such sweet little guns. They work wonderful with cast lead bullets.
Old November 30, 2011, 08:32 PM   #5
bigautomatic

All of the above. If you have never refinished a wood gun stock or any kind of metal, leave it as is. Or at least get a whole lot of practice on something with less meaning before you attempt it. A grandfathers gun is not just another gun picked up for cheap at a gun show. All those scratches and worn blueing can hold a lot of memories. But hey, I'm a sentimental kinda guy.
Old November 30, 2011, 08:33 PM   #6
Masa

I am also thinking about scoping it and it has a side mounting system.
Will these products work?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/513...-reticle-matte

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/340...yle-gloss-high

I am new to guns so I don't really know much about it.
Old November 30, 2011, 08:46 PM   #7
taylorce1

No reason not to try to improve the looks of the rifle. There are a lot of info out there on how to repair gunstocks. I'd either durakote the metal or send it off to be rebelled. Spray on gun finishes are easier to apply than trying to cold blue.

Imo the rifle will only be worth what your sentimental attachment is to it. Like stated above nice rifles just not worth a lot if you decided to sell it. If you want to make it real unique change out the stock to something like this. Richard's has one in their bargain list that will fit your rifle.
Old November 30, 2011, 09:06 PM   #8
scwhitetail

I wouldn't touch it. Keep it oiled to prevent rust, and avoid getting gun oil on the stock, it will break down the wood fibers and one day you'll shoot it and the whole action and barrel will break loose from the stock. If you decide to refinish it, take it to a gunsmith or do alot of research first. While spray paint (KRYLON) might give a good finish, its paint. It will never look like wood again.

There are some good videos on youtube about stock refinishing. I wouldn't use wood filler on the craters. As long as the grain was not cut on the wood, you can steam the dents and dings out using a wet rag and iron. This will also help remove some of the old stain. Use steam or something like crud cutter to remove the old finish. Be patient. It take time. After the stock is stripped and dries progressively sand it with soft abrasive pads like scotchbrite untill you get a nice smooth finish with a very fine grit pad. Then pick your choice of stain or a nice oil finish. If you aren't confident you can do the job, don't do it. I think the sentiment of your grandfathers gun with all of the marks from where he used it will mean alot to you, Way more than a ruined stock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p21MKDi3r8o
Old November 30, 2011, 09:44 PM   #9
fatwhiteboy

I put a Weaver 4X fixed power on mine...
Old November 30, 2011, 10:07 PM   #10
Abel

That Weaver mount looks fine, but that scope is no good. If $100 is your budget, get this:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/vortex-r...re-3-9x40.html
Old November 30, 2011, 10:17 PM   #11
Tom Matiska

Ones I've seen were excellent shooters. You can take to the range and hurt the feelings of others with far more expensive guns. Leverevolution rounds make it a legit 200+ yard meat rifle.

Enjoy it for what it is and give it to your grandkid with a more scratches and less blueing.

Tom
Old November 30, 2011, 10:43 PM   #12
10-96

I don't know how much other stuff you've had handed down from your Grandfather, but a rifle is major thing in my book. That's the stuff that heirlooms are made of. No, it isn't a high dollar fancy rifle, but it is a good one and apparently good enough for your grandpa to use, trust, and enjoy. I dont know how much coin you have in your pocket but I would consult with a gunsmith before doing anything with it that will change things up. Also check around for the propre time period mount and scope if you can. Just my $.02

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old November 30, 2011, 11:59 PM   #13
Masa

I think you guys are right, I'm just going to leave it as is. I still want to scope it though. If I buy the side mounting system I posted above and a scope is there anything else I need? Also I heard that a scope more powerful than 2-7x32mm would be overkill, is this true?
Old December 1, 2011, 06:47 AM   #14
Abel

Quote:
Also I heard that a scope more powerful than 2-7x32mm would be overkill, is this true?
Maybe a bit! A 3-9x40mm would possibly look a little large on that rifle. There are other $100 scopes out there that would be great on this rifle. I only suggested the Vortex because I have heard that its a decent scope for that amount. I agree that the 2-7x32mm size would be perfect.

Here are two more in the size/price that you prefer:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/bush-rs-bnr-711545.html

http://www.opticsplanet.net/swift-4x...cope-668m.html

If it were mine I'd put a Nikon ProStaff 2-7x32mm on it. Possibly a Redfield 2-7x33mm. Those are in the $140 price range, and well worth it.
Old December 1, 2011, 06:52 AM   #15
taylorce1

Here are two scope mounts that fit your rifle. I'd look for a vintage scope like the old steel tube Weavers or old Denver made Redfield scopes. As far as 2-7 power would be a good choice but 3-9 power would be fine as well. Any bigger than that and you would be wasting your time.
Old December 1, 2011, 06:53 AM   #16
Mike Irwin
Staff

Masa,

The Midway scope that you linked is for rimfire rifles. Don't put a scope designed for rimfires on a centerfire rifle like yours. It may well not stand up to the recoil.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 1, 2011, 07:10 AM   #17
Mobuck

I would not refinish it simply because I feel a handed down rifle should stay as G'pa left it. I have several guns from my Dad and all are exactly as he kept them. Sealing the wood and protecting the metal can be accomplished w/o a total refinsh.
You can get a decent scope for under $100. Check on the internet auctions for buys on used mounts if you're not in too big a hurry. The sidemounts for this rifle are fine but may set the scope higher than optimum. You don't have any choice though due to the split rear ring. Weaver may be the only game in town. Check the prices at Brownells before paying through the nose at some local spot that will likely order the part from Brownells and cut themselves a profit.
Old December 1, 2011, 08:15 PM   #18
Masa

How about this one?
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/417...-reticle-matte
Old December 1, 2011, 08:35 PM   #19
Mike Irwin
Staff

I've no experience with that brand scope, but it appears to be designed for centerfire rifles, so I suspect that it would be fine.

Most of my guns wear Leupold glass, generally older versions.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 1, 2011, 08:45 PM   #20
bobn

wear and tear on you old gun is kinda like a badge of honor, just oil it up.
.....for a economy scope that will work okay look at the banner line, (bushnell). they are on the site you found the other stuff at.
.....the scope mount that works on a 340 savage does not allow for a bulge around the adjustment turrents. you need a scope with a straight tube. i have the mounts weaver makes on my dads 340!
btw, it has plenty of charisma too. bobn
Old December 1, 2011, 08:57 PM   #21
bigautomatic

A word of advice on the scope choice. Whatever scope you decide on, make sure you understand clearly the return policy of the dealer from which you purchase from. Not because of breakage, but because of fit. I think I changed scopes four times on my father's 340 (.222 Rem) because the bolt contacted the scope upon lift. I'd have to call him up and ask him what scope we settled on, but I remember that it still barely cleared. We used the Weaver side mount and base with Leopold rings
Old December 1, 2011, 11:49 PM   #22
Masa

I think I am going to buy this mount,

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/340...yle-gloss-high

then buy the scope locally so that if it doesn't fit correctly I can return it easily.
Old December 2, 2011, 07:55 AM   #23
bobn

that is the style that my 340 has on it....bobn
Old December 2, 2011, 01:02 PM   #24
rr2241tx

The period correct side mount and scope are branded Springfield, the scope is 4X. Savage sold this same gun branded Savage, Springfield and Stevens but all the mounts and scopes were Springfield. They can be hard to locate these days but show up on FleaBay from time to time.
Old December 3, 2011, 05:48 PM   #25
243fanatic

fine old piece of grandpa ya have there. those nicks,scratches,gouges or what ever. leave them, when you are sitting on stand some day and not much moving. you'll look down at them and a smile with cross your face because of the memories it will bring. PRICELESS!