The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 23, 2009, 09:35 PM   #1
boy412

I hate my digital scale

I have been using a Lyman 1000XP for about two weeks now. I don't know if all digital scales are like this...but its a total pain in the ass! Instead of saving time I find myself re-calibrating and re-zeroing about 6 or more times in a batch of 50 loads.

I don't trust it...I'll add a bit of powder to the pan, then trickle powder in till I approach my target weight. Intermittently the damn thing starts going backwards! Me being the distrustful person that I am, I dump the powder back out, put the pan back on the scale, and it reads anywhere from -.04 to -0.7. Having shot a few different recipes, varying the powder by .3 gr I know that this fluctuation is more than significant.

Has anybody else had these kinds of issues with a digital scale? This is supposed to be a decent one, but I am very tempted to return it and get a used beam balance instead. This Lyman scale is creating more work...and I'm still not entirely SURE its telling me the truth. Everything else about this process is fluid and relatively painless, but this powder measuring is going to be the death of me.

Old August 23, 2009, 09:42 PM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

I suspect that if you read the manual it will tell you that the scale has an "autotare" function. There are also probably specific instructions for how to use the scale when you're trickling powder.
Old August 23, 2009, 09:45 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

Leave it on for 15 or 20 minutes to warm the load cell up before using it. Keep it away from sources of electrical interference (fluorescent lights, computers, motors, etcetera, and don't plug the adapter into an AC line that is shared by any of those things.

If none of that helps, call factory assistance and I expect they'll have you return it. You could have a bad load cell or electronics.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old August 23, 2009, 10:04 PM   #4
boy412

I'm running it off of a 9v battery which SHOULD be cleaner than any AC power coming out of the wall outlet. The first battery I had in there (a Duracell that came with it) was causing some odd behavior. It would intermittently flash "Cal" on the LCD. No mention of this in the troubleshooting section of the manual or on their Web site. If its running out of power its supposed to display a "low batt" message. Replacing the battery with a fresh one made that issue go away.

No autotare function mentioned in the manual...this is a pretty basic scale feature-wise. You zero it...calibrate it, and its suggested that you re-zero it every tenth load or so. This thing is actin' freaky! I'll try letting it warm up first...but that would be odd if that were the problem.
Old August 23, 2009, 10:19 PM   #5
LHB1

Have you contacted Lyman and discussed the problem with them? Neither of my two RCBS digital scales require frequent zero or calibration. I don't trickle charges onto digital scales. I use them to weigh thrown charges from my powder measure and adjust the powder measure if necessary so the thrown charge weighs what I want. This is done at the beginning of each loading session.
Old August 23, 2009, 10:34 PM   #6
boy412

That's what I plan on doing eventually...but for the time being I'm using the Lyman scale as my primary means of measuring powder. A powder measure will happen eventually, but I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something with these digital scales. Sounds like there may indeed be something wrong with it.

I will try the retail shop first and see what they say. Its not even three weeks old! If not I will contact Lyman and see what they have to say.

Thanks...
Old August 24, 2009, 12:07 AM   #7
Randy 1911

Do you by any chance have it under a florscent light. They can produce problems for some scales. I had problems like you describe because of it. No problems since I got it out from under a florscent light.
Old August 24, 2009, 01:21 AM   #8
Sport45

Here's the FAQ from Lyman's site:

Quote:
Below are some helpful troubleshooting hints for getting the most out of your 1000XP or 1500XP Electronic Scale:

Be sure to use the adapter supplied with the scale.
1000XP 110V Adapter; R3W012-200
1000XP 230V Adapter; R3W012-200G
1500XP 110V Adapter; A20930N or R3W009-200
1500XP 230V Adapter; A20930G

Occasionally wipe the unit’s exterior and over the scale platform with a used non static dryer sheet such as Bounce or ClingFree to inhibit static electricity.

Fluorescent lights, portable and cellular phones and other electronic scales and appliances can cause erratic readings. This includes proximity to furnaces and air conditioners.

Keep out of drafts.

Always allow the unit to stabilize for 24 hours if it has been in storage or out of service for a while.
Your cell phone might be the culprit. I know mine puts noise in anything electronic it sets near.
Old August 24, 2009, 09:29 AM   #9
floydster

I love my 52 year old Redding beam scale.
Old August 24, 2009, 11:21 AM   #10
Unclenick
Staff

Boy412,

If you don't have the AC adapter for the 24 hour run-in, you can buy ones that plug into the 9v battery clip.

As I mentioned in my first post and others have added to, the interference can come through the air, not just the AC line. RFI (Radio frequency Interference) is emitted by all the mentioned items. You can test for them as a source by lining a cardboard box with aluminum foil (yes,yes; I know, it's just like the hats for UFO paranoiacs) and ground it. That makes a Faraday shield that will at least attenuate RFI from any source the foil is in line with. RFI can reflect off metal surfaces to act like a source, so you may have to turn the open end of the box to find a minimum interference point. Much bother, but it will show one way or the other if RFI is your problem? Alternately, take an AM radio and tune it to a weak station. It will let you hear interference in many instances as static and hum, so you can set the shield box up that way.

Also, if you live near medium to high voltage power lines, you can experience EMI (ElectroMagnetic Interference) from leakage currents off them. Same cure. If you plug the thing in and it acts skittish, there may be RF garbage on the AC line called line noise. Try a different outlet. You can buy line filters to reduce that, too. If you know a particular appliance causes the problem, it is often best to put a filter on that appliance. That way the noise is stopped before it gets onto the house wiring which acts like an antenna, broadcasting it.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old August 24, 2009, 02:03 PM   #11
QBall45

Throw the offending scale hard against the concrete block wall. It will never again be the cause of so much pain! (I'm just kidding of course)

Call the company. The will either tell ya what you are doing wrong or they will stand behind their product and make it right with you.
Old August 24, 2009, 02:23 PM   #12
BigJimP

UncleNick has given you a lot of good advice / and most manuals on digital scales will tell you to warm them up for awhile.

You might try plugging it into a surge protector / maybe that will clean up the power a little .......

using a powder trickler - you might have better luck with a beam scale / or you'll have to go to a scientific quality scale reading to 0.02 gr accuracy / so you can really see it change. All of the "common" digital scales are only accurate to 0.1 gr / and powder trickling, like you've discovered may cause it to lose its zero ....

You might call the mfg - and see if they have a procedure they'd recommend using for "powder trickling" ...with that scale.
Old August 24, 2009, 04:46 PM   #13
aerod1

You really need a balance beam anyway. I frquently check my "Cabela's 1500" against my balance beam scale to insure the accuracy of both.
I haven't had a problem......yet.
U.S. Navy Veteran (USS Midway V-1 Division)
Old August 25, 2009, 07:57 PM   #14
bgdv1

i use my powder trickler all the time with my rcbs elctric scale and never have anny problems.
Old August 26, 2009, 07:15 PM   #15
James R. Burke

Unclenick is correct. I have the RCBS combo, and leave it warm up for about a half hour while I am getting everything ready so it is not wasted time. They are very sensitive to about anything even alittle wind movement. Once I got in sink on how I was doing things it started to work out much better. I fill all my cases before I use the press, and things like that to keep the movement down. I had mine for awhile now, and know it is not the same as yours, but it puts out very accurate loads powder wise. I do check from time to time with the weights etc. Never had a problem with it so far. It does seem alittle slow but than I am not trickling etc. So I dont need to do that either. Hope you get it taken care of, but if you dont I would get a e-mail out to the company. I know the feeling when things are not working right, and I am like you if it is not correct I would dump it, and do it again.
Old August 26, 2009, 09:20 PM   #16
Inspector3711

I've used electronic scales in industry for years. One thing you need to be aware of is wind. If the garage door is open I have trouble with mine. All it takes is a person walking by. Could be a factor. I have the Lyman DPS3 so I can weigh powder with the lid closed over the scale as well.

Quote:
I love my 52 year old Redding beam scale
I hate my Redding beam scale. If I bump into the pan with the trickler it moves the whole scale. When it moves, the tare screw that it stands on spins a little. I check it and I've lost zero. That's why I went digital. I keep that Redding around in case the power goes out.
Old August 27, 2009, 12:43 AM   #17
Shoney

I got a couple of RCBS digitals in 94 and 98. Among other problems, I found that if I stood with both feet in the same place, then lifted my left foot and alternately my right foot, I would get 3 different readings. That’s when I moved it to the basement.

After aggravations and hair tearing episodes, I finally discovered a sound remedy. I can now, wholeheartedly and without reservation, recommend a chemical you can liberally coat over your scale, that I guarantee you will never have a headache or frustrating moment with it again. Cement!
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old August 27, 2009, 05:47 AM   #18
Edward429451

I love my 24 year old RCBS 5-0-5 beam scale

It has personality but I have patience.
Old August 27, 2009, 08:22 AM   #19
Cajun

Digital Scale

I recently changed from a Dillon DTerminator to a RCBS 1500. The Dillon has a very large platform and is easily effected by the slightest of breezes. The RCBS has a smaller platform and is less effected.

RCBS advertises that the scale is one of the few that was designed as a powder scale.

I changed because I was getting a lot of variation when loading 9MM. I was attempting to load Universal at 4.5 grains and the scale was report 4.3 to 4.8.

After I changed scales, the Lyman 55 is being reported at a very stead 4.5.

The Dillon did a good job, I just did like the variation and it's sensitivity to the slightest breeze.
Old August 27, 2009, 09:07 AM   #20
wncchester

boy412: "I have been using a Lyman 1000XP for about two weeks now. I don't know if all digital scales are like this...but its a total pain in the ass! Instead of saving time I find myself re-calibrating and re-zeroing about 6 or more times in a batch of 50 loads.

I don't trust it...I'll add a bit of powder to the pan, then trickle powder in till I approach my target weight. Intermittently the damn thing starts going backwards! Me being the distrustful person that I am, I dump the powder back out, put the pan back on the scale, and it reads anywhere from -.04 to -0.7. Having shot a few different recipes, varying the powder by .3 gr I know that this fluctuation is more than significant."

Sport45: "Below are some helpful troubleshooting hints for getting the most out of your 1000XP or 1500XP Electronic Scale:

Be sure to use the adapter supplied with the scale.
1000XP 110V Adapter; R3W012-200
1000XP 230V Adapter; R3W012-200G
1500XP 110V Adapter; A20930N or R3W009-200
1500XP 230V Adapter; A20930G

Occasionally wipe the unit’s exterior and over the scale platform with a used non static dryer sheet such as Bounce or ClingFree to inhibit static electricity.

Fluorescent lights, portable and cellular phones and other electronic scales and appliances can cause erratic readings. This includes proximity to furnaces and air conditioners.

Keep out of drafts.

Always allow the unit to stabilize for 24 hours if it has been in storage or out of service for a while."

And all this is after we buy an expensive digital scale because they are "fast" and the "modern way"? NOT ME!

I'm a retired electronic precision measurement instrument tech from the space/defence industries. I don't have and would NOT buy a digital reloading scale. If someone GAVE me one, I'd use it ... for weighing bullets and cases, stuff that's not critical! But NOT for gun powder, not as long as I could get to my dependable old 46 year old beam scale anyway; it's still dead-on accurate and still going strong.

Last edited by wncchester; August 27, 2009 at 09:20 AM.
Old August 27, 2009, 09:59 AM   #21
mapsjanhere

From running an analytical lab, couple scale tips:
Get a heavy granite block, leftover 1'x1' at the local kitchen counter place for $10. Put on dampening base, weather stripping work foam works great.
Make sure you don't have any air flows in the room. Block heater/AC outlets if you can't turn it off completely, or make a simple card board box hood if you still have issues.
Make sure your powder is at the same temperature as your work area. Your powder stored in the garage in the winter will quickly absorb moisture when you start pouring it in the warm workshop. That can drive you bonkers when you try to get a decent weight.
Last, make sure you're in the correct load area for your scale. That is something not commonly known, but most load cells don't operate real well at very low loading. So if your scale is 0 - 100 g (1500 gr) it's not really accurate for anything under 5 g (75 gr) total load. Now, that includes the tray and what else not is on the load cell, but you might be better off using a heavy stainless steel pan to weigh in than the light aluminum foil weigh boat. Or put a heavy fender washer on the scale before you tare it to do those 2.3 gr loads.
Old August 27, 2009, 10:10 AM   #22
csmsss

I'm not sure I'd agree that a 9v battery is more suitable than an AC adapter. It might be "cleaner", but the voltage will continuously degrade over time and it will not send a consistent flow of current to the load cell. I think the best results will be obtained by using the supplied AC adapter, powered by a UPS or load filter.
Old August 28, 2009, 06:28 AM   #23
Master Blaster

I have flourescent lights over my bench, I have a heater in my house, Get a beam scale for about $50-$90 and you will be able to trickle away, the good beam scales have a magnetic damper, and they are accurate and dont mind if you trickle powder. In my 20 years of reloading I have found them to be 100% reliable, just like gravity.

I keep my Dillon 5-0-5 on my bench at all times, I check the zero before each session, and I have a set of lyman check weights. Its 12 years old, and still works perfectly.
Old August 28, 2009, 11:35 AM   #24
Jim243

There is no getting away from a good balance beam scale, even if you use a digital. I use mine every now and then to check my digital.

You need to start out on a level surface for both beam and digital. If your table, shelf or what ever is not level to start with your results will be suspect.

You also need to level your scale for best results. On digital scales you should leave them on for a half hour or one hour before you use them to let the load cell settle down.

I use a RCBS 1500 and have no problems if I follow these simple rules.

Good luck and stay safe.
jim

And watch out for drafts, any movement of air, heating, fans, air conditioning will throw off your measurements.
Old August 28, 2009, 11:53 AM   #25
wrangler yj

Don't have alot to say, just that I had one also. From the time it came out of the package to the time in went into the closet, it never was right. Went out an bought a RCBS scale.