The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 8, 2013, 08:59 AM   #1
TX Slim

Problem with 1911 extracting.

I recently purchased a Springfield Range Officer 1911. I have only put about 70 rounds through it. Three times it failed to extract the spent round. On the second to last round it pulled the spent case out just enough to lodge itself into the slide. Kinda like a stove pipe, but not. I watched a video on YouTube on a extractor test. I think the extractor lacks tension. I took it to a gunsmith. He is going to polish the ramp and tune the extractor. If this doesn't work, what else could it be? I have been shooting my whole life and have never had problems like this. Im new to 1911, I have owned Glocks, Sigs and revolvers. Is this a common problem with this platform? Should I be worried?
Old February 8, 2013, 09:50 AM   #2
erhodes

I would not be worried. It sounds like the extractor just doesn't have enough tension on it. This is a very simple fix. I have seen this as a fairly common problem with 1911's. Not sure why. I'm sure tuning the extractor will fix your problem right up.
Old February 8, 2013, 02:44 PM   #3
BigJimP

Its a simple fix on 1911's ....( issues like this are a reflection of how little time some of the entry level, to mid level priced 1911's spend in the shop with someone that knows what they're doing to assemble the guns ) ...next to no time in most production guns -- like Springfield, Kimber, etc...

But it is easily fixed...with adding some tension to it...

If it persists ...send it back to Springfield...
-----------
I have 1911's with over 30,000 rds thru them and the extractor has never been a problem...

Springfiled makes a good gun ...don't worry about it / once its working - I'm confident it'll be fine...
Old February 8, 2013, 03:50 PM   #4
RickB

Extractor tension is an enduring issue with "production line" 1911s, though it really shouldn't be.
The U.S. military was able to get proper tension via materials and dimensions, as everything was built to spec. With unknown specs across the "1911" landscape, the extractor often has to be individually fitted to the gun.
Don't confuse how easily the extractor can be removed from or installed in the slide with proper tension; it's the tension applied to the case rim that counts.
Old February 8, 2013, 04:19 PM   #5
Silent Bob

Springfield stock extractors are notorious for failures to extract. I'm sure someone will chime in with "B.S! My stock Springfield extractor has gone 10,000 rounds without a single problem!" and that is all fine and good but I can only relate that I owned five Springfield 1911s, all 5 had little to no extractor tension out of the box, the issues I see at the local range, and reports from the Internet. I'm not knocking on Springfields, I like them, just no their stock extractors (or ILS mainspring housings for that matter)

The cures in my case have been Wilson or Ed Brown extractors, tuned and polished by someone that knows what they are doing (i.e., not me) and paired with an oversized firing pin stop to cure "clocking" or twisting of the extractor in its tunnel. I like the EGW flat-bottomed part.
Old February 8, 2013, 10:00 PM   #6
k511

+1 common problem,,,, you were not using cheap steel cased ammo though were you??? this would also cause your problem as i have never seen a 1911 that would eat that junk
Old February 8, 2013, 10:41 PM   #7
TX Slim

I was using 230 grain round nose, brass case, rounds. Good to hear Im not the only one who has had a problem with this. If it happens again, I pray to God it doesn't, I will look into another extractor and over size firing pin. Thank you to everyone who has chimed in.