The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 10, 2009, 04:01 AM   #1
BigAl

Any ammo manufactures on here?

With the current prices for factory ammo-if you can find it, I am wondering if any reloaders on here have gotten a license from the BATF to manufacture ammo for resale? I have gotten a few requests from co-workers to reload ammo for them, but don't know about any of the legal or liability issues related to this.
Old May 10, 2009, 06:51 AM   #2
Sevens

There's one guy that has the license and has had one for a couple of years. But your first guess is correct, it's both not legal and it certainly could have seriously civil liabilities attached to it.

I think the letter of the law states that you can load up brass that they provide with your components, but that's just something that's been said here and there. Even that wouldn't save you from a civil suit if something went bad. (but then, nothing would!)

Best thing to do is have them show up to your loading bench with some components they bought themselves and have them pull a handle here and there and you can work out the rest of the details.
Old May 10, 2009, 08:25 AM   #3
Teuthis

An amateur handloading ammunition for resale is about the worst scenario I could imagine. You would be at the mercy of the Federal government, BATF, as well as the State government on the basis of commerce. The BATF is the more willful and determined violator of citizens' rights in the nation. Then there is the liability if one of your rounds harms someone.

Handloading is a quiet, pleasant hobby. I would recommend that you keep it that way.
Old May 10, 2009, 09:25 AM   #4
Ozzieman

I helped a man in the late 70’s and early 80’s with a small reloading business here in Northern Indiana. He loaded for several gun shops in the aria. He was retired and made good money and had a very good product.
What ended his business was the insurance prices that went up exponentially every year in the 80’s.
Since he did it in his home and he was required to have a manufacturing license the home owners insurance went up by a factor of 10 in just one year. The last year he was in business his insurance company refused to insure his home any more.
I have had friends ask,,, almost beg for me to reload for them and I answer them the same each time.
If you want to come over learn how to reload I will be happy to help, but I will not be the reason, if a mistake were to be made, for your injury or death. If that happened with today’s lawyers, they or there wife would own every thing that I now own.

I hate to bring this up here, but this is the kind of thing that the current administration wants to bring to law, requiring all reloaders to have a manufacturing license.
If you reload you better check with your insurance companies, once you become a licensed manufacture they probably won’t insure you any more, not without jacking your rates up to the point you won’t be able to reload any more,,, which I feel is the reason that there are groups in congress trying to enact this ridiculous plan.
Old May 10, 2009, 10:50 AM   #5
TEDDY

sales

a great idea that was killed by the gov.
Old May 10, 2009, 11:08 AM   #6
Dingoboyx

From the litigation side of things

If you are reloading for people you know, get them when they pick up the finished rounds, to put the heads on the last one or two themselves, that way, you just 'helped them' with their reloading..... so they are partly responsible for the finished rounds... If anything were to go wrong.... it might have been a round 'they' made themselves.

I know this, because I have built Gyrocopters for people, I always get them to help with the finishing off, even if it is just tightening up a bolt, or fitting a small item.... they had a hand in building the machine themself. When they have had a hand in it's construction, they are part owner builder

This changes any litigation aspects down the road. This is why some companies sell you stuff in 'kit form' so you have to assemble the thing, that way, you can be blamed if something fails and someone is hurt

If there are any 'legal buffs' on here, perhaps you can clarify this?

Also, I know people can't waive their right to expected safety, but a lawyer could probably write up something for folks to sign when buying your bullets, that they accept they are not buying 'factory' ammo, they have evaluated the risks and have decided to purchase bullets from you, by choice & accept the 'risk' .......

Ask a lawyer, could probably work for you, but the wording is critical
Old May 10, 2009, 02:17 PM   #7
BigAl

Thanks for all the replies. I've never seriously considered reloading ammo for anyone but myself. I was mainly curious how big the can of worms was if opened.