The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 22, 2010, 11:21 AM   #1
kx592

m2 feedramps

Just realized on the chart that under bushmaster it says they use M2 feed ramps, whats the difference between the 3 types?
Old September 22, 2010, 12:06 PM   #2
demigod

I've never heard of M2 feedramps. There's standard feedramps, and M4 feedramps to my knowledge.

Feedramps are a non issue if you're running a standard 223 cal/5.56 gun, using good mags, and aren't overgassed or have too light of a buffer.
Old September 22, 2010, 01:28 PM   #3
kx592

Well i apparently have m2 feedramps and use good mags, dont know about pressures or buffers?
Old September 22, 2010, 01:39 PM   #4
Technosavant

It can't be "M2" feedramps. There's no such thing. I don't know why the "chart" shows that- I've used Bushmaster uppers and they had M4 ramps.

There's "rifle" feedramps and "M4" feedramps. The difference is basically that with rifle feedramps the ramps are solely on the barrel extention. With M4 feedramps they extend down onto the upper receiver as well.

Basically, with .223/5.56, M4 feedramps aren't all that necessary when you're using magazines that have anti-tilt followers. It just hasn't been a major issue for a long time. If you have an M4 feedramped barrel and a rifle-ramped (actually, unramped) upper, it will likely work fine. The ramps will just end abruptly where the barrel extension meets the upper. The problem is when you have a rifle ramped barrel and a M4 ramped upper- you end up with a little gap beneath the barrel extension and it will catch the nose of a bullet and cause a jam.

This is only ever an issue when you're mating a barrel to an upper- if you bought a complete rifle or a complete upper, it's not a problem (unless you bought it from a basement gunsmith who can't find his rear with both hands, a map, and a native guide).

If you want a visual of what I'm talking about, check here. Then pop open your rifle and look for yourself.
Old September 22, 2010, 03:44 PM   #5
threecharley

they misprinted it it is M4 RAMPS brother please don't go to a show and ask that. LOL.
Old September 22, 2010, 08:08 PM   #6
kx592

Will do bud lol thanks for clearing that up, now also came across info about marking the two bolts that hold the gas tube connection to the bolt as well as marking the piece on the nut for the stock? I really dont get the significance of doing this? Any insight for a new guy?
Old September 22, 2010, 09:27 PM   #7
Technosavant

It isn't "marking" them, it is "staking."

Staking is the act of displacing metal, usually around the head of a screw, so the screw can't back out. The screws on the gas key are very important to have staked. They don't take much, but they do require some. The castle nut on a collapsible stock is good to stake (there's usually a very small notch on them where it comes against the receiver endplate for this purpose), but it isn't quite as necessary.

Here's a Youtube video re: the gas key screws.
Old September 24, 2010, 01:29 PM   #8
threecharley

kx dont get discouraged we all had to learn this stuff. staking is easy just make sure and try not to stake into the bolt edges just the top part of the allen srews enough to keep it from backing out on ya!