The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 13, 2013, 12:20 PM   #1
bonefamily

Ruger P95 / S&W Sigma 9mm

I'm looking to get a medium sized 9mm and am considering the two in topic - P95 and Sigma 9mm. I find my small framed 9mm PF-9 to be a bit too snappy and would like to move into something a bit larger. Can you give me some personal preferences and opinions of the two? The price ranges are similar and the price I would like to stay in. Thanks.
Old January 13, 2013, 03:16 PM   #2
Kreyzhorse

Both are well made, reliable guns. The Ruger however has a much better trigger in my opinion. In fact, the Sigma has the worst trigger I have ever seen on a gun. However, I've spent some range time with a Sigma and it is very easy to shoot very well.

Bottom line, both are good guns for the money. Pick the one you are most comfortable with. Even with the trigger on the Sigma, if you like the gun and you can live with the trigger, it should last a lifetime.
Old January 13, 2013, 03:22 PM   #3
Shane Tuttle
Staff

The Sigma I shot had a terrible trigger. I couldn't stand that gun.

I had a P95 for years. It was truly a workhorse. Was my bedside gun. I shot reloads of all kinds as well as quality/lousy factory loads. It kept trucking on for several thousand rounds. It handles recoil very well, even though you're looking at a 9mm. I never had any problems with it and to this day I miss that gun.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old January 13, 2013, 03:28 PM   #4
Technosavant

Never fired a P95, but I did pick up a Sigma (SW9VE) used not that long ago.

The stories about the trigger are pretty much right on. While mine didn't have much grit and was very consistent, the pull was insanely heavy. I never gauged it, but I think it was somewhere in the 12-15 pound range. Aside from that, the gun is very reliable and fairly accurate.

I just installed the Apex spring kit for the Sigma, and it really did help. The pull is still on the slightly heavy side (6 pounds or so) but it is much more manageable.

With the spring kit, the Sigma is a decent choice for an inexpensive defensive pistol. Without the spring kit it is passable but difficult for many to shoot well.
Old January 13, 2013, 07:07 PM   #5
bonefamily

Thanks for the replies everyone. It sounds like the P95 is ahead and running. A smooth trigger is important in my book. I don't mind a 6 lbs. trigger after an upgrade, but a nice trigger out of the box would be nice.
Old January 13, 2013, 07:55 PM   #6
AdrianVall

I'd take the P95 over the Sigma any day of the week. No question!
Old January 13, 2013, 09:49 PM   #7
Atbat82

Never fired a Sigma, but I have a P95 and love it. It's reliable as hell, the trigger is fine (though not the best). It's heavy, but you're not carrying it so who cares. It also absorbs pretty much all recoil. A real soft shooter.

ETA: I also picked my up used for less than $200. Hard to go wrong with that kind of price tag.
Old January 13, 2013, 10:48 PM   #8
bigghoss

When I was 21 I bought a P95dc and my friend bought a sigma. Both good guns. The sigma's trigger can be improved but the user very easily at no cost in about 10 minuets but I'm not sure that it doesn't negatively affect the safety of the gun.

Short answer: Ruger P95. It's tough and can hold it's own against anything on the market. Get some Mec-gar 17 round mags for it and you're GTG.

Might also consider keeping an eye out for a used glock (19 preferably) or Smith M&P
Old January 13, 2013, 10:58 PM   #9
hagar

Sigma all the way, the Ruger is way too heavy and blocky for me.

If you have a problem with the Sigma trigger, you need to practise more. I have shot groups at 50 yards with my 9VE that makes my Sig 226 jealous.
Old January 13, 2013, 11:26 PM   #10
MrApathy

sigma is no longer made its been replaced with the SD VE series which has a better trigger than the sigma did. ruger p95 is great gun for money but bulky and who knows much longer it will be produced with rugers new SR series of firearms. might want to look into a SR9 it looks comparable to a sigma or SD VE.
A repeat of history, That's how it goes
Old January 13, 2013, 11:40 PM   #11
paknheat

In regards to the op's original question , I would give my nod to the P-95. I've had both pistols,& the P-95 is the one I still have. I passed the Sigma on to a friend of mine who really liked it & shot it really well. I prefer the P-95 , but comes down to how well either one fits your hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old January 14, 2013, 02:05 AM   #12
LockedBreech

The P95 is a great gun. I'd prefer to spend an extra 50-70 for the SR9, though.
Old January 14, 2013, 04:41 AM   #13
Keepin_Jeepin

I had never sold a gun, untill I had a sigma.

Ended up selling it to buy a Smith and Wesson M&P 9 compact not because I liked the this gun, its because I hated that gun so much.
Old January 14, 2013, 08:39 AM   #14
customaquatics

gotta remember the sigma is a good gun even with the trigger since there is no actual safety the trigger is the safety.
23 year old NRA member AKaholic #158907 , 1942 Ex-Sniper Izzy Mosin Nagant, 1970's Marlin 30-30, Remington 870 tatical, Charter Arms The Pink Lady 38 Special.
Old January 14, 2013, 08:43 AM   #15
bonefamily

Thanks for the replies, experiences, and advice everyone. The Sigma is still shown on my LGS's website but they don't have it in stock. They usually don't keep much in stock but they are at will to order anything seen on their site. So, they might not even be able to get a Sigma if they are already discontinued. It sounds like the P95 might be a better fit for me anyways. Though I have fired, own, and don't mind DAO triggers (my Kel Tecs), I will say that I really like the DA/SA trigger of my Bobcat and would like to try a larger pistol with the same.

Is there another in the same category as the P95 and Sigma for the same prices (under $400) that I could consider? I would like to buy new for the sake of the warantee. Again, looking for a bigger 9mm pistol than my PF-9 for easier recoil.
Old January 14, 2013, 08:56 AM   #16
h2otoo

Tough time to be shopping for a hand gun, but around here the SR9's and SR9C's had been going for just a whisker under 400$. If that is your price zone, check them out (If you can find any)

Bob
Old January 14, 2013, 09:04 AM   #17
SoilworK777

I own a Sigma in 9mm. I would opt for the P95.
Old January 14, 2013, 06:56 PM   #18
bonefamily

Thanks, guys.

h2otoo - the SR9 around here starts at $450-ish. I would like to keep it under $400 as that is already stretching it a bit. Thanks for the recommendation.
Old January 15, 2013, 10:22 PM   #19
bigghoss

What about a Smith SD9? Kinda an updated Sigma, not sure what the street price is but I'm told they're not much more than a Sigma.
Old January 15, 2013, 11:30 PM   #20
Akimbo

I'm not sure the Sigma is made any longer?
I believe it was replaced with the SD (which stopped production in 2011) and now the SD-VE which has a stainless steel slide and is a little cheaper. I believe trigger issue was fixed with the new model (it came out in July 2012)
Old January 16, 2013, 07:28 AM   #21
Leejack

The sigma has been replaced by the SD9VE, the price is the same as the old sigma's at places like Academy. The SD has a lighter trigger than the sigma as well as a few other minor changes.

By virtue of far superior ergonomics, I vote for the SD.

Both these guns are a huge bang for the buck, I'd be happy to own either.
Old January 16, 2013, 08:31 AM   #22
Fishbed77

Quote:
Is there another in the same category as the P95 and Sigma for the same prices (under $400) that I could consider? I would like to buy new for the sake of the warantee.
You should also be looking at the excellent SIG SP2022 (~$350-400) if you want a DA/SA similar in operation to the P95, and the Ruger SR9 or SR9C (~$400) if you want a striker-fired pistol that is honestly much better than the Sigma/SD9VE. The SR9C could also do double-duty as a great carry gun if you were so inclined.
Old January 16, 2013, 10:12 AM   #23
bonefamily

Thanks Fishbed77 - I never knew of the SP2022. I always thought Sig would be out of my league due to price. I will look it up!
Old January 16, 2013, 10:17 AM   #24
Sarge

They are both really good guns. I find the Sigma to be a little less bulky than the Ruger, FWIW.
Old January 16, 2013, 04:37 PM   #25
specs

An alternative to the P95 is the P89. Both are Ruger, the difference being that the P89 is all metal and a bit heavier. P89 advantage is that you can change the grip to a Hogue. I know, Ruger discontinued them, but with a little search you can find a LNIB for the same or less $$. Ruger will fix the gun whether you are the original owner or not, unless the gun was damaged from abuse or mods gone wrong. There are reports of old Rugers being replaced with new models of the same gun for those which can't be repaired.

Anyway, you will never need any repairs on either one, I have both and they just never quit. They are extremely overbuilt.