The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 14, 2008, 11:37 AM   #1
6Gun4Fun

revolver cylinder loading blocks

Was wondering how many shooters use 'em?
Old June 15, 2008, 12:24 AM   #2
6Gun4Fun

Anyone?
Old June 15, 2008, 05:30 AM   #3
mykeal

Is this what you mean by a cylinder loading block?

If so, I use it rarely, usually only with my Uberti Cattleman, an 1873 Colt SAA look-alike that has a percussion cylinder. it must be loaded on a stand because it has no functional loading lever.
Old June 15, 2008, 09:52 AM   #4
6Gun4Fun

loading block

Yes! That's what I mean! The one you posted is what I term "pivot and pendulum" style.
Old June 15, 2008, 02:05 PM   #5
6Gun4Fun

Another style of loader

Here's the one that I have a patent on. The loading rod can be swapped out for a wad cutter. I'll be distributing the first few to various magazines for a product review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iem7LaCAhUs
Old June 16, 2008, 08:28 AM   #6
6Gun4Fun

wad cutting video

I've posted a video of the tool in the wad cutting mode also.
Old June 16, 2008, 08:41 AM   #7
sundance44s

I have one like Mykeal has ...been useing it for years ..It`s just a natural with an 1858 Remington ,because it`s so easy to remove the cylinder for loading .
I do alot of shooting with mine , and without the cylinder loading stand I would wear out the pins on the loading levers long ago .
I`ve got 2 other cylinder loading stands I bought before I bought this one ..they are junk compaired to this one . It is well worth the extra money .
Old June 16, 2008, 09:12 AM   #8
6Gun4Fun

I've constructed mine using only the best of materials. 6061 aircraft quality aluminum, 1045 high carbon steel, 4140 chromoly steel. You won't find a speck of 1018 cold roll steel in my unit.
Old June 16, 2008, 12:37 PM   #9
mykeal

6Gun4fun:

I've tried both the fixed fulcrum stand, such as this one:

and the one pictured in post #3 above, and I have the following comment which may be applicable to your design.

I found the fixed fulcrum design to be quite limited in application. The lack of ability to adjust the cylinder and ram relative locations meant that the stand was only applicable to one set of geometry, thus one, or at most two, gun designs. The unit pictured in post no. 3 above is expensive (approx $65, certainly more expensive than the fixed fulcrum designs) but much more versatile. It comes with jags for .31, 36 and .44/45 calibers and two different cylinder arbors (Colt and Remington/Ruger/Rogers & Spencer); in addition the location of the cylinder on the base plate and the ram on the lever means just about any cylinder geometry can be accommodated. I can say that it accommodates cylinders from all my revolvers from the Colt Walker to the 1862 Colt Pocket Police and everything in between, including the 1848 Remington and Ruger Old Army.

Your design looks very solid, and the material specifications are excellent. I am certain it's a high quality unit from what I've seen. However, I'd be concerned that it's application would be limited to a few designs only because of the fixed geometry. Is that a concern I need to be worried about?

Last edited by mykeal; June 16, 2008 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Spelling. Or is it speling?
Old June 16, 2008, 02:03 PM   #10
Smokin_Gun

Loaders

I have two of the Econo Models they work great have had them about 5+ yrs fo $16.99. Here http://www.traditionsmuzzle.com/eSho...ductCode=A1309

But, Sundance from the day you first got your Deluxe Model I have wanted one...so if you would please remind me where you got that one.

Mykeal thank you for reminding me and posting the Loader you have... if you would also let me know where you purchased yours it would be appreciated.

Thanks,
SG
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old June 16, 2008, 02:11 PM   #11
Smokin_Gun

6Gun4Fun, went to U tube...it looks good. Do you have any sample test prototypes available? I know enough not to ask a monitary value on something being Patiented...a long drawn out process. Wish you the best in your endeavor to persevere.

SG
Old June 16, 2008, 03:07 PM   #12
Hawg

Quote:
I found the fixed fulcrum design to be quite limited in application. The lack of ability to adjust the cylinder and ram relative locations meant that the stand was only applicable to one set of geometry, thus one, or at most two, gun designs.
If it had a slot in the arm with a series of notches in the top you could change the location of the ram thereby giving it unlimited applications.
Old June 16, 2008, 03:20 PM   #13
sundance44s

Smokin I bought mine here ..good folks and they ship fast ...http://www.powderinc.com/cgi-bin/bps...R_ID=207409527
Old June 16, 2008, 05:15 PM   #14
mykeal

Quote:
Mykeal thank you for reminding me and posting the Loader you have... if you would also let me know where you purchased yours it would be appreciated.
Smokin' Gun - got mine the same place as sundance: Powder Inc. Yes, nice folks. However, the production rate on those things is a bit unsteady and they occasionally run out for a while. There are a couple of other retailers (don't know who the manufacturer is) that sell them. If Powder Inc. is out let me know and I'll try to dig them up again.
Old June 16, 2008, 08:42 PM   #15
Raider2000

I'm still on the list for the eventual shipment of my order for one from Powder Inc.
Old June 16, 2008, 11:37 PM   #16
6Gun4Fun

Let me describe my method of loading in detail. With my loader, the bullet is set in the throat of the cylinder bore, to the same depth, each and every time you load. Some shooters use max loads, some shooters use light loads. Some shooters who use light loads use an inert material to take up the extra space in the chambers rather then seating the bullet deeper in the cylinder bores, others use wads. I have my loader set to seat a roundball on top of 35 grains of powder and a wad. The ball sits just below flush of the top of the cylinder, which reduces the amount of travel the bullet must move before moving into the forcing cone of the barrel. I guess what I tried to do is eliminate as many variables as possible. Knowing that the ball is seated to the same depth each time eliminates the possibility of loading one chamber a little harder then another. The idea is to be as consistent as possible. The only variable left is the shooter loading a consistent powder charge each time. I also use a Lee 220 gr hollow point with the same ramming rod with the same results, the top of the bullet is just below flush each time. It is possible though, for the shooter to load too much powder in the chamber for the bullet to seat below flush. If this happens, the shooter should back off on the powder charge he is throwing. My loader develops 850 lbs of force, which REALLY makes loading a breeze.
Old June 16, 2008, 11:39 PM   #17
6Gun4Fun

Oh, I failed to mention that those other loaders that are available, although fine units, will only function as a ramming mechanism whereas my unit doubles as a wad cutter.
Old June 17, 2008, 12:54 AM   #18
6Gun4Fun

prototype

Yes I have the one unit on hand. I hope to send another one out to a magazine who has graciously agreed to give me a product review. Here's the link to the youtube video I shot. I apologize for the quality, I'll try again as soon as I empty a few chambers!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iem7LaCAhUs
Old June 17, 2008, 01:35 AM   #19
Smokin_Gun

Thanks Sundance

Quote:
I`ve got 2 other cylinder loading stands I bought before I bought this one ..they are junk compaired to this one . It is well worth the extra money.
Will look into that Powder//link... by the ay I recyle all or any junk loaders. HeeHee!

Does either of them come with both a .36 and a .44 loading rod/link?
I got two one for me one for my Son and I can't remember if they asked for a caliber or not. Mine came with two .44 rods.

Thanks Pard,
SG
Old June 17, 2008, 01:39 AM   #20
Smokin_Gun

Thanks Mykeal

Quote:
Smokin' Gun - got mine the same place as sundance: Powder Inc. Yes, nice folks. However, the production rate on those things is a bit unsteady and they occasionally run out for a while. There are a couple of other retailers (don't know who the manufacturer is) that sell them. If Powder Inc. is out let me know and I'll try to dig them up again.
I appreciate the info on the loader and the company...will keep in touch on the other Mfg. info.
Thanks again,
SG
Old June 17, 2008, 01:49 AM   #21
Smokin_Gun

6Gun4Fun

Quote:
Oh, I failed to mention that those other loaders that are available, although fine units, will only function as a ramming mechanism whereas my unit doubles as a wad cutter.
Sounds like you have a winner there. Could that plate that holds the plunger be say adjustable? ike with a set screw? The only reason I ask is that 35gr is too much in a .36 cal. and I don't use 35gr in all my .44's. Nor do I place any filler between my Black Powder and Lube Pills, that I make, placing the ball on last. I don't like wooly wads, myself as I can shoot all day in Rem or Colt using Lube Pills .
I like your loader if it's within my budget I'm sold on it...
SG
Old June 17, 2008, 07:04 AM   #22
mykeal

6Gun4Fun -

I understand the wadcutter function. I'm sure many will find it useful.

Your detailed explanation sounds like your loader is designed for one load in one particular cylinder. I need to have the ability to load several different design cylinders with different loads and different calibers. Does your unit have that diversity?

Not a bad thing if it doesn't; it still may be useful to me, but that will affect the price I'm willing to pay.
Old June 17, 2008, 08:30 AM   #23
6Gun4Fun

I did make an allowance for different ramming rod ends. The brass tip on my ramming rod can be changed. The one I currently have on the rod is suits my particular needs and is marked to designate the powder charge required with that size end, the brass end is easily changed by unthreading it from the ramming rod making it more versatile.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ram rod end.jpg (38.5 KB, 67 views)
Old June 18, 2008, 02:20 AM   #24
6Gun4Fun

versatility

I've known from the start that the need for adjustments would have to come before mass marketing. I've solved some of the problems already and really appreciate all the input I can get.