The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

View Poll Results: What method of priming do you prefer?
Prime on press 10 29.41%
Prime with hand held 10 29.41%
Prime with bench mounted priming unit 6 17.65%
A combination between on press and off press priming. 8 23.53%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 4, 2014, 12:01 PM   #1
Vance

RCBS Auto Priming Tool

So, I have been using a Lee ergo prime and priming on press. The ergo prime unit does work, but has a hiccup every once in a while (the tray cover pops off and also feeds 2 primers at once up the ramp) that is annoying. I have seen in various threads here and at cast boolits about solutions for this. That's good except my hand starts hurting after a few hundred cases primed.

Priming on the press works also, but every once in a while I find a round in the bin that the primer did not get seated all the way. Not really a big problem, just inconveinient.

Last week I saw on Optic Planets ebay store they had the RCBS Auto Priming Tool listed for $89. It also had a make offer button, so I made an offer to pay $85 and they give me free shipping. They accepted my offer and I received it this week. I also sent in to RCBS for the $10 rebate. So $75 for an item that has a manufacturers retail price of $112.

So far I have primed 400 cases and every single primer is seated correctly and it does not hurt my hand.

Last edited by Vance; July 4, 2014 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Added info
Old July 4, 2014, 12:26 PM   #2
higgite

A combination of all the above. Depends on whether I'm doing rifle or pistol, single stage or progressive press, and how many cases to be primed.
Old July 4, 2014, 06:27 PM   #3
stubbicatt

For progressive loading or use of a turret press I prime on the press. For my rifle cartridges intended for accuracy, I hand prime using a APS hand primer. I really like that tool.
Old July 4, 2014, 07:36 PM   #4
lee n. field

Prime on press, using the Lee Safety Prime that integrates with the Lee Classic Turret.

I have used ram prime dies, and a Lee Ergo Prime tool. The ram prime is precise, but slow. The hand prime tool requires hand strength. It works well if you do have the hand strength, but I'm currently nursing myself through some thumb joint pain on my strong side hand.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old July 4, 2014, 08:36 PM   #5
Lost Sheep

I started out with RCBS press and primed on-press. Filling the primer tubes was time-consuming, so I started priming with a RCBS hand primer and a Lee Hand primer which both feed from the primer flipper tray.

Then I got into progressive presses, where interrupting the workflow was not practical (well, actually, it is, but it did not occur to me at the time).

Monitoring multiple simultaneous operations was not my style, so I abandoned the progressives and got an auto-advancing turret press. I am much happier now.

The primer feed comes directly from the flipper tray, no time wasted in loading up. The primer feed is adequately reliable and the mechanism allows me to spot if a primer is not in the priming arm's cup correctly. Seating with the press handle does give me the ability to feel the primer bottom out (something many loaders find absent, but I can easily tell).

So, I prime on-press even though I still have in my possession an RCBS bench-mount (which I would mount and use if I used my single stage RockChucker) and a (Redding, I think) hand priming tool.

Lost Sheep
Old July 4, 2014, 11:34 PM   #6
Shootest

I purchased the press mounted APS priming tool a little over a year ago and I think it is great. Just like you I had sore hands when priming with a hand tool, but no more.
Old July 5, 2014, 12:51 AM   #7
Jim243

Quote:
Prime on press, using the Lee Safety Prime that integrates with the Lee Classic Turret

Same Here

Jim

Old July 6, 2014, 10:37 PM   #8
Vance

Thanks for the replies guys. Lots of reasons for the methods of priming. I had a classic turret by Lee and the only thing I found wrong with it was that the last 2 or 3 primers would not feed. Otherwise it worked fine. So now I have a Dillon XL650 and a Lee Classic Cast single stage. Priming for rifles will be done with the RCBS Auto Prime Tool and priming for pistols will be done on the 650.