The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 22, 2012, 10:53 AM   #1
JD Powell

Let's see your homebrew cartrige holders

Looking for pic's of what you use to hold extra ammo in the field. Especially interested in what you use for shotgun shells and rimfire.

I have looked at all the commercial carriers and speedloaders. Really want to see your homebrew creations.

Trying to figure out the best way to carry my reloads. Silence and keeping the ammo clean are paramount.

For my .22lr I am thinking of making something along the lines of a primer capper. Which would hold the ammo lined up to be easily dropped one at a time. For my revolver, or quickly dump 15 rnds into a marlin mag tube.

For the shotgun I like the idea of the comp style shell caddies. But they do not lend themselves so well to hunting purposes. If you just remove one or two shells, the rest will move/rattle around more.

No doubt some of you have figured this conundrum out. Please show me what you do.
Old January 22, 2012, 04:33 PM   #2
griz

When I used to hunt with a 22 a lot I took a piece of elastic band and sewed it on the underside of the chest pocket flap of my jacket, then sewed across it to create individual pockets for each round. Worked great, didn't rattle and they were always there. A few rounds went through the washing machine, but that's no big loss.

Now if I need extra 22s it's either an MTM ammo wallet or one of those Speed Strips that are meant for revolvers. MTM also makes a case for shotgun shells (5 or 25 rounds) that keeps them queit and clean in a back pack. I've also used one of those inexpensive butt cuffs. Other than days when I might need to have buckshot, turkey loads, and maybe squirrel shot on the same day, five extra rounds is usually plenty for me.
Old January 22, 2012, 04:54 PM   #3
g.willikers

No camera to show them, but it's easy to make one for shotguns.
From the local sewing and fabric store, get some wide elastic.
From the scuba store, get a weight belt.
Then, just attach the elastic to the belt, with as many loops as needed.
Sewing looks good, but staples work plenty good, too.
Lots easier, and it's more manly.
A short piece, that holds five or so rounds, can also be attached to the gun stock.
Old January 25, 2012, 08:03 AM   #4
rayban

Here's one I made for my 38 sp'ls......but the loops can be made to accommodate any shell.