The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 3, 2007, 12:01 PM   #1
roy reali

Smart Birds

This morning, my dog and I decided to test our luck on quail. We found an area with a ton of birds. Unfortunately, there was a ton of brush too.

At first they flushed pretty easily. Then they started to dig themselves into brush piles. My dog would get on one side and I was beating at the brush with a stick on the other side. If they flushed, they would fly low right over my dog's head. It was too risky to attempt a shot.

Anyone here have a secret on how to flush dug-in quail? My dog is near fifty pounds, she can't fit well into the brush.

Maybe a Chihuahua would be the answer!
Old November 9, 2007, 08:31 PM   #2
Bitmap

We always used brush pants or snake chaps and waded in. Of course it works better with 2 or 3 hunters because the guy doing the wading will probably have a hard time making a decent shot.
Old November 9, 2007, 11:28 PM   #3
williamd

Quail can crawl into brush, rocks and holes and make you feel pretty dumb when they flush in your face. I have been on my belly looking at birds under rocks and in holes .... they may still be there.

Now for Chukar .... a 22-250 or Swift from the next ridge over! Or, claymores.
Old November 10, 2007, 07:22 AM   #4
fisherman66

Sounds like you might have ran into a covey of Scaled/Blue Quail. The only Bobwhites that I have witnessed run like that were pen raised birds that we used to train green dogs. Bobwhites usually hold tight when threatened. The dog handler usually has to kick them up unless the dogs get too cheeky and they flush. I suppose the opposite could be happening. If the dogs don't lock down in a close point they might run. How much time is elapsing between point and "hunters ready"?
Old November 16, 2007, 07:00 PM   #5
Frankyoz

Lol damn quail, I havent had much sucess this season. My buddy who's dogs I usualy use or go with has been working too much. Helping my friend train up his german short haired now, but yeah quail can be a real pain. Luckily here in AZ the underbrush doesnt get to gnarly.