The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 11, 2012, 07:49 PM   #1
RBid

SA XDs First Impressions & First Shots

Through two flukes, I was able to handle an XDs for the first time yesterday, and fire one for the first time today. Here are my opinions. Take them as you will.

Cons:
- very blocky. Lots of corners. I prefer a little more taper in carry weapons, to mute printing.
- I feel like it begs for a pinky extension.
- capacity. It is what it is, but I would love a +1 w/pinky extension.
- the recoil impulse is primarily up, rather than back, and it wants to pop up strongly. *I shoot with thumbs forward grip, and aggressive (shoulders forward) posture. I am used to controlling a PPQ, which also flips. The XDs recoil is not runaway, but 1-handed fire with any speed would be a serious challenge.
- it opened up my right thumb's base knuckle. Light bite. Light bleeding.

Pros:
- I am in love with the sights. I drove it out to target 20 or so times in the first handling, and I love how quickly the front sight snaps your eyes in.
- well executed stock trigger. I dry-fired the one I handled yesterday (with Snap Caps), and liked it. I'd say... Better than Glock or M&P (pre-Shield) triggers. Not quite PPQ, Caracal, or SR9c. Probably on par with FNS9 trigger.
- sights, again. In addition to helping target acquisition, they are fantastic for 'sight discipline', for lack of a better term. If you shoot with both eyes open, this makes it extra easy.
- good dimensions for carry
- like all XD pistols, it feels very solidly constructed and durable

Shooting experience:

I went to Johnson Creek Gun Club in Clackamas, OR today, during low traffic hours (2:30pm). There was only one other person there. He gave me a neighborly nod, so I asked him what he thought of his XDs. He handed me a magazine and the weapon, and said, "run those through it". He ran the target out to 40 feet, which is against range rules, unless you're an instructor. As it happens, he's LE, and an NRA Instructor.

I haven't shot at less than 50 feet for a couple of months. The target looked huge.

My first shot was 3" above dead center. I noted that the trigger felt light. My second shot was 1" below dead center. My next three punched a quarter sized hole in the center.

One of my challenges as a shooter is sight discipline. I tend to lose focus over the course of groups, as I have the attention span of a coconut. The XDs fiber optic front sight fixed that for me. I give the weapon credit for the way it performed.
Old October 11, 2012, 08:19 PM   #2
915A

Nice write up. I shot a FS XD 9 and .40 over the weekend. They were nice. I have not tried the XDs yet, might have to give it a look.
Old October 11, 2012, 09:49 PM   #3
bitttorrrent

had a similar experience while at the range on a busy day, the guy next to me was interested in my new never fired sr22 and he ended up just giving me his xd 9mm and a full clip. Nice guy.

I ran some through and was pretty impressed. It is a larger feeling gun, but the accuracy was very good and I placed a nice group just to left of center right of the bat.

Was thinking of the new 5.25" xdm in either 9mm or .45 as a good gun to add to my collection.