The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 27, 2009, 12:08 AM   #1
troy_mclure

inline rifle sabots

i have a knight wolverine inline rifle.
a while ago i picked up a pack of sabot's for it. i didnt notice till today that they are for .45 to .50.
i shoot normally .44 to .50.

i tried loading one up to see how it fits, it still fits tight in there, and the bullet didnt come out of the sabot, even with some banging.

do you think it would be safe to shoot to see how it affects the accuracy?
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old May 27, 2009, 02:07 PM   #2
arcticap

Quote:
do you think it would be safe to shoot to see how it affects the accuracy?
From your description, yes I do think that it's safe.
But none the less, I would be extra careful after loading the sabot containing the undersize bullet by not pointing the muzzle downward to give the bullet any chance of slipping.
I guess the bullet could be shimmed/patched, but that might hinder the bullet's trajectory and release.
However in theory, if the bullet was just a tiny bit looser then the sabot may release it easier and with more consistency after exiting the barrel.
It will be interesting to hear if the bullet shoots as accurately or not though.
Please let us know.
Old May 27, 2009, 03:01 PM   #3
Pahoo

Yes it would be safe to shoot and yes, the accuracy will be effected depending on your shot string. Sabots are not all that expensive and you might try to trade them off. I mostly shoot 44/50 and some 45/50. Heck, if you have some 45's sitting around, shoot them in the 45/50's. Forget about the shimming but play with it if you wish. I can assure you that you are not the first or the last person to fall into this trap. I know I have and even tried a .45 in a 44/50. just a bit tight and the sabot will let you know about it ...

Be Safe !!!
Old May 27, 2009, 08:28 PM   #4
Mark whiz

I've found in my Knight USAK (identical barrel to the Wolverine) that the .45cal bullets tend to be more accurate anyway - that may well be because I shoot the heavier bullets in them. You might can get decent results with the .44's in the .45 sabot - but the tighter the sabot, typically the more accurate the bullet. But as Articap said, as long as you don't dislodge the sabot from on top of the powder - it'll be safe to fire.

I would say, if you can find some of the .45cal Hornady XTP Mags (50 to a box) get them and try them in those sabots. That combination over 80gr of 2fg 777 powder is my benchmark load. They are very accurate and any combination that comes close to them is a definite keeper.
!
Old May 27, 2009, 09:27 PM   #5
troy_mclure

im using rainier ballistics 300gr plated hp over 2 50gr pyrodex pellets.

its great to 100, decent to 150, at 200 i can hit a 5 gallon bucket, but im not comfortable shooting game with it at that range.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old May 28, 2009, 08:40 PM   #6
scrat

been there done that. then i purchased a .50 cal lee real mold. made a bunch of bullets then lubed them with bore butter. Ever since then i have not looked back. i still have a few of the sabots. as soon as i finish shooting them off i will be sticking to the .50 lee