The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 2, 2000, 12:43 AM   #1
catman

what are the things to look for if this is a problem. have got a springfield armory M1 garand in .308, went to shoot last sunday went through 40 rounds all perfect except #40. it pulled the primmer end of the shell off, that's right, off. so now i had the case stuck in the chamber, the party stopped and i went home got it out with some gentle work. now my friend says tommorrow we go check it for this head space problem. he very much knows what he's talking about, when it comes to weaponery. thanks
Old March 2, 2000, 08:03 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Catman, case head separation can be a sign of bad headspace. On the other hand it might also just be that the chamber is rough or pitted. It would be a good idea to have it checked. George
Old March 2, 2000, 07:44 PM   #3
HankL

catman, I could also be a problem with the ammo. What were you using? Also, is your rifle new?
Hank
Old March 3, 2000, 12:36 AM   #4
catman

head space was fine, we think it was the surplus ammo. gun now is totally apart and soaking deisel. think we found the problem just army dirty. thanks everyone