The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old October 16, 2013, 06:55 AM   #151
Brit

The Glock Bashing! Is a cult. It is one of the pistols you can mix up ten of them, the Glock 17, then reassemble, randomly, and all work.

Like them, or not, they work, have lots of rounds (Just in case!) and are lighter than steel pistols, what's not to like.
Old October 16, 2013, 07:48 AM   #152
saleen322

Quote:
The Glock Bashing! Is a cult.
To state that there are a lot of Glocks that had unintended discharges it just saying what is, it is not bashing. An informed buyer purchases a Glock knowing this and accepting it. When I was growing up, American Motors Jeep had a vehicle called a CJ-5. They were very popular because they had a short wheelbase and very good ground clearance making them great in the woods. However, these same features made them twitchy at speed with a high center of gravity. The CJ-5 had a high accident rate and were expensive to insure, in fact back in the day you could insure a similar year Corvette for lower rates. I would guess that almost all of those CJ-5 accidents could be traced back to someone doing something wrong but that doesn't change the fact that they were involved in a lot of accidents. Glock built a pistol that was easy to fire which on one hand is good but on the other hand it is easier to have it go off when the shooter doesn't want it to and the accidents illustrate this. It is all about what you want in a pistol.
Old October 16, 2013, 08:07 AM   #153
whip1

Quote:
It's a little interesting to see that there seem to be very few threads complaining about how unsafe other maker's pistols are due not having manual safeties. Glock has never had any sort of monopoly on making pistols without manual safeties.
Strange how that works........ And they claim they're not bashing Glock.
Old October 16, 2013, 09:17 AM   #154
Brit

Not sure were I read it (help anyone) but the Glock 19 is they most popular carry pistol in the World!

Must be true, I have one sitting on my Wilderness belt right now!
Old October 16, 2013, 10:16 AM   #155
Tactical Jackalope

Here here! ^ +1 Brit. Mine is sitting AIWB right now also. Finally settled on a carry gun and haven't carried anything else for a long time..I have over a dozen handguns. That's saying something.
Old October 16, 2013, 02:22 PM   #156
manta49

Quote:
The Glock Bashing! Is a cult. It is one of the pistols you can mix up ten of them, the Glock 17, then reassemble, randomly, and all work.
It's called interchangeability and is nothing new and doesn't just apply to Glocks.
Old October 16, 2013, 03:33 PM   #157
RBid

Glock Accidental Discharges.

Gen 4 + .40 + Glock = Austrian Roulette, and I'm a gambling man. Sadly, they haven't thrown brass at me, gone off by themselves, or blown up. I think I'll keep playing. Sooner or later, Internet statistics will kick in, and an ND will blow the gun up, throwing brass into my face.

/spin
Old October 16, 2013, 06:33 PM   #158
K_Mac

Seven pages of the pros and cons of a pistol firing when the trigger is pulled.

RBid it is just a matter of time before your GLOCK shoots you and probably several innocent bystanders.
Old October 16, 2013, 06:39 PM   #159
RBid

Glock Accidental Discharges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Mac View Post
Seven pages of the pros and cons of a pistol firing when the trigger is pulled.

RBid it is just a matter of time before your GLOCK shoots you and probably several innocent bystanders.
True. Being the dangerous type, I'm contemplating getting a left hand Galco King Tuk, so I can carry the 19 Gen 4 and 23 Gen 4 at the same time. That should accelerate things.

Daaaaaannnnggggeeerrrroooouuuusssssss.
Old October 16, 2013, 06:55 PM   #160
RodTheWrench

Sorry all, but in case it hasn't already been said (don't have time to read 7 pages), NDs happen when you have your finger inside of the trigger guard. Period. Glocks don't just "go off", they don't fire when dropped, when the slide is released, or any other story you've heard.

Just like the NRA Pistol Instructor manual states: "A safety is a mechanical device that can fail". Please don't claim moral (or other) superiority because your favorite gun has a "safety". In my opinion, safeties can make guns less safe. I wouldn't bet my life on them which is perhaps the most insidious thing about "safeties".

How many times have you heard "Is that thing loaded?" and the response "Yeah, but the safety is on."
Old October 16, 2013, 07:03 PM   #161
Tinner666

Quote:
why doesn't Glock offer a thumb safety, a loaded chamber indicator?
My manual says it does, but I've never tried to figure it out. I know that if my slide is forward, it's loaded. Same for all my firearms.

Somebody mentioned the CJ5. You also seldom ever see that Chevy anymore either. The 'mini' Blazer. I can't think of it's name for some reason. Virtually any curve taken above 40mph would lift the inside tires. I could drive that thing for blocks on two tires. Just twitch the wheel and she was up! Just the thing for shocking people.
Dang, I can't remember what that name was. Early '80's vehicle if memory serves.
Old October 16, 2013, 07:41 PM   #162
n5lyc

Um.. The CJ5 was a Jeep..
not a Chevy....

If you owned a Jeep you would know...

It's a JEEP THING...

OH, JUST LIKE IT'S A GLOCK THING!!
2. He will be aiming the NEW Weapon at someone carrying an AK.
Old October 16, 2013, 08:49 PM   #163
Tinner666

I wasn't talking about the CJ5. Somebody mentioned it and it reminded me of the Chevy that rolled on a bet. And I'm not talking about the Corvair.

Not S-10. Blazer, Jimmy or something, A true 'two-wheeler'.
Old October 16, 2013, 08:52 PM   #164
Tom Servo
Staff

Seven pages in, and I think we've covered all the relevant ground. Anyone have anything constructive to add?
Closed Thread