The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 8, 2009, 07:24 AM   #1
DaveInPA

Looking for a versatile AR-15 buttstock.

I'm looking for a buttstock that would work well for "run & gun" standing, kneeling etc etc shooting as well as do a good job resting securely in a rear bag for shooting from the bench. Anyone know of such an animal? The Magpul UBR looks good, but it's pricey. How about the MOE? It looks like since the adjustment lever is inside rather than on the bottom, I wouldn't have to worry about the rear bag hitting it. Your $.02?
Old January 8, 2009, 07:32 AM   #2
CPTMurdoc30

For $10 less look at the magpul PRS.
Old January 8, 2009, 07:41 AM   #3
DaveInPA

I've used a PRS on a friend's gun. Great for bench work, but way too heavy for shooting on the move, plus it doesn't collapse enough for me.
Old January 8, 2009, 09:02 AM   #4
shooter_john

The A.C.E. SOCOM is where it's at for me. Not exactly a benchrest stock, but outside of that, I wouldn't want anything else.
Old January 8, 2009, 09:15 AM   #5
HJ857

How about the CAA CBS with the adjustable riser.

http://www.commandarms.com/product.asp?pID=205&cID=57
Old January 8, 2009, 09:54 AM   #6
Bartholomew Roberts

I think the UBR is probably the ticket; but if it is too pricey, consider the Magpul M93. It offers many of the same features and another company (forgot who but CAA?) is still producing the design new. You could also buy used from someone who is upgrading to the UBR. Get installation instructions if you buy used, they are a bit more complicated to install than your typical stock.
Old January 8, 2009, 10:10 AM   #7
Alleykat

I'm a little curious as to the circumstances you guys are describing as "shooting on the move." You talking about Rambolista fantasies or just playing the gun games.
Old January 8, 2009, 10:14 AM   #8
DaveInPA

Quote:
I'm a little curious as to the circumstances you guys are describing as "shooting on the move." You talking about Rambolista fantasies or just playing the gun games.
So because we don't always sit at a bench, we're just living out "fantasies"? Get over yourself.
Old January 8, 2009, 10:50 AM   #9
sneaky pete

NO need to Sped "Big Bucks" on a collapsable

Old Sneaky here: Hi DaveinPA--The 1st collapsable I bougth was a TAPCO 6 position that I put on my old Colt SP-1 for $49.95+S&H about 6 or 7 years ago and I have shot matches with it both Any-Any off the bench and X the course( 200O/H & sitting rapid-300 prone rapid, and 600 prone slow), wih my best X-count of 54 out of 60 so far, and for Christmas on my New stripped DOW lower w/parts kit I put on a DPMS-Pardus collapsable $65.+s&h and the day after Christmas shot a Any-Any match wiht it and "Cleaned" the 60 round match with 37Xs( not my best X count). I've heard people say that you can't shoot a good match with a collapsable & I say BULL SH**. Once upon a time Uncle Sam had me doing the Rambo thing but now I'm too old/Smart for that crap and I'm satisfied to go to our monthly matches and have a good time. I think that if you want to do the Rambo thing--ENLIST and request an Infantry MOS. In the mean time save your money with a Less Expensive collapsable and use the money you saved for Ammo or Beer in the order of your choice. THANX--SNEAKY
Old January 8, 2009, 11:04 AM   #10
Bitmap

Rather than the Magpul MOE I prefer the Magpul CTR. The MOE is a cost reduced version of the CTR. The feature that was removed to reduce cost is a locking lever that prevents the stock from wobbling or rattling on the buffer tube. I like it for hunting because it is very quiet when it is latched.

The PRS is really intended for precision rifles and is heavy.

The UBR is a good way to go if you can find and afford one, but it is heavy as well.

The CTR is a lot lighter and balances well with light uppers.

Don't forget the Vltor EMod and the clubfoot version of the Vltor Modstock. They both have flat bottomed sections on at the rear for use as a rest.

The ACE Soccom is a rugged piece but I don't like the cheek weld. The only way to find out if any of these will work for you is to try them.

The Vltor stocks use standard milspec carbine tubes. You can get the CTR for milspec or commercial carbine tubes. The PRS uses a rifle tube. The UBR uses a short version of the rifle tube that is sometimes used in fixed "entry" stocks. The ACE uses a tube all it's own.

As for this:

Quote:
Maybe the OP realizes that some day he might have to use his rifle to protect himself or his family. If someone was shooting at you which target would you rather be, the one sitting still or the moving one?

The idea of two men standing still in the middle of the street and blazing away at each other was dreamed up in Hollywood.