The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 7, 2007, 11:22 AM   #1
Justin_Stacey

35 Whelen Reloading? Recommendations

I love my 35 Whelen but it is getting hard to find good ammo. I love this caliber for it's flawless performance in the brush and hard hitting power at moderate ranges. I am looking to start reloading and was wondering if anyone had any load suggestions. I would like to load some shells with 250 grain. and maybe even the 300 grain. bullets. ( I do a lot of hunting in Maine VERY THICK woods) Accuracy is important to me. Max distance I shoot maybe 150 yards and that is rare. Most shots are with in 25 yards. Any suggestions would be great.

Thank you.

Last edited by Justin_Stacey; December 7, 2007 at 01:25 PM.
Old December 7, 2007, 04:15 PM   #2
IHMSA Shooter

Check the Hornady manual. 250 gr. RN or SP at 2400 FPS, I think, with a helathy dose of H4895.

I really like my Whelen also.
Old December 9, 2007, 11:56 AM   #3
Paul B.

At the distances you state, you sure don't need a 300 gr. bullet unless you have one of the great bears to contend with. Any of the standard 250 gr. cup and core bullets should do just fine. Either H or IMR-4895 will work, some Whelens prefer IMR-4064 or 4320, and RL-15 is another good choice. At a velocity of 2400 plus FPS, the Hornady RN or SP, or the Speer Hot-Core would be just fine for deer, black bear or even a moose, should one come along and be legal to take. I have friends in canada who use the Speer 250 gr. Hot-Core in their Whelens loaded fairly hot for their yearly moose hunt and one used his with those bullets on a Grizzly Bear hunt. Sadly the bears did not cooperate as the only one he saw was a sow with cubs. IIRC, he said their entire hunting parties for moose all used the Whelen and the Speer bullet.
You can add me to the list of Whelen fans as I have three of them.
Paul B.