The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 5, 1999, 05:12 PM   #1
Terry

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who uses a "tuckable" holster. By this I mean an inside waistband holster that allows you to tuck your shirt between the holster and the belt attachment. I think Mitch Rosen made this model first under the name of Workman (?). Since then I've seen similar holsters by Sparks, Galco, and a few of the Kydex manufacturers. These seem like a great idea for those of us who live in hot climates and who would prefer not wearing a jacket, vest or our shirts out. I tried one on at the SHOT Show and it seems to work great.

------------------

Old February 5, 1999, 05:33 PM   #2
Rob Pincus

I have a galco "tuckable" model for my Tomcat. I tried it out one afternoon around the office and found that I hated it. In fact, I was wearing it (untucked) when we met earlier this week.
I am a little too thin to get away with it, I think.

It would be a great way to go "deep cover" with a mock turtle neck under a vest or something.

------------------
-Essayons

[This message has been edited by Rob (edited 02-05-99).]
Old February 5, 1999, 10:44 PM   #3
Jim Murnak

Sir, Fist makes a holster that allows complete concealment by tucking in your shirt. No clips or straps show. Please go to our web site at www.fist-inc.com and go to #22 under Fist holsters. This is the Secret System 2 holster. Thank You.

------------------

Jim Murnak
Old February 6, 1999, 06:54 AM   #4
ATM

Terry -

I have a MR WOrkman for a Colt Det Spec. I have used it quite a bit, and it does work. However I found it not as comfortable as other IWB holsters, also speed of the draw was down of course.

I bought it jsut for hot climates, or when I had to spend time indoors where a loose shirt was not allowed ( my parttime retail job). No one ever knew I had it on(at least no one ever said anything).

I also have some thoughts on wearing it:
As one might expect, certain things were not to be done when wearing this rig. Stretching in the opposite direction, so it printed. Wearing closely tailored or tight fitting shirts. having rubber grips on the gun. Also I feel it must be worn fully behind the hip. Otherwise you will have a funny look from the front, one side of the belt and pants is bulged (less of a problem with a slimmer gun). Also don't put much in the rear pocket of the pants on that side, to much in one place.

I like the concept, still have mine and use it occasionally. By the way Mitch Rosen now makes a thin version of this holster, about half as thin as the one I have. Uses cowhide I believe. This should make things much more comfortable.
His website is www.mitchrosen.com

Just some thoughts, use them as you will.

------------------
Freedom is not Free

[This message has been edited by ATM (edited 02-06-99).]
Old February 6, 1999, 01:52 PM   #5
BlkHawk73

I have a Mitch Rosen "workman" for my Ruger SP101 and have been quite pleased with it. I do agree that it needs to be behind the hip but I've also found it fairy comfortable to wear in the front. I use it primarily when total concealment is an absolute must during warmer weather. Excellant workmanship too.
Old February 8, 1999, 03:50 PM   #6
Mark King

I was chosen by Jim Murnack to review his Secret System II holster (#22) recently. I found the holster extremely well made and hand boned to fit the pistol (Kahr K9) As advertised, the holster allows you to carry a gun completely concealed with the only cover garment being a tucked in shirt. This system seems to work best with loose fitting clothing. When using this system I usually am wearing loose fitting pleated trousers and full cut dress shirt and tie. It takes some practice to get the shirt tucked in properly but once you get the hang of it it becomes much easier. See the FIST web site at www.fist-inc.com for additional information on this and other concealed carry gear. Mark/FL
Old February 26, 1999, 06:19 AM   #7
Ossi

Some month ago I searched for a good tuckable holster and ordered Milt Sparks' VM2. I think that is as good a holster gets; excellent quality and excellent functionality. Same holster can be used as tuckable or conventional IWB. Check it out at www.miltsparks.com. Ossi
Old February 26, 1999, 06:25 PM   #8
ATM

Blkhwk73 -

I thought I would try your in front carry. Works real well, I like it even with the DS. I now wear the Workman a little more often. Thanks for the tip.

------------------
Freedom is not Free