The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 12, 2012, 11:38 AM   #1
'88Scrat

M1 Garand Help Fast!!!

I took out my M1 Garand today, along with some other firearms I haven't gotten to shoot in a while, and discovered some potentially disturbing signs.

I need the help of someone who really knows their M1 Garands. My knowledge is probably just enough to let me think I know something.

For starters I noticed that most of the grease that was on it the last time I took it out shooting is gone. This perplexes me as I don't know how that would have happened. I DO NOT use oil to lubricate it, I know that is a cardinal sin with M1s. But that does bring me to the first question; where to grease it and what type of grease works best? Some areas seem obvious, the groove for the op rod for example, but just to cover all bases I have posted some pictures of places where I suspect that grease will be needed. Could someone take some time and circle, with Paint or some other program, where I need to grease it?

After looking at the grease situation I noticed that the op rod might be a little bent (son of a...). I am not sure if it is or not honestly because what I percieve to be a bend is very slight, so much so in fact that I'm not sure its an issue, but I prefer to er on the side of caution. I am not sure how it could have happened, I am anal about making sure I feed my M1 only ammo that is 2,700 fps or less (absolutely no commercial ammo), M2 Ball and that Federal stuff for M1s are the most common of the ammo I use. I have included a picture of the op rod as well.

I am not sure what happened. I take great pride in keeping all of my firearms in very pristine condition (my Desert Eagle has thousands of rounds through it but looks better then a lot of the ones I see for sale that have had only a few hundred rounds put through them) so this is both a confusing turn of events and one that is a little emberassing, I feel like I let the ol warhorse down...

Help...
Old December 12, 2012, 11:57 AM   #2
BombthePeasants

That bend is supposed to be there. Don't worry about that. I'll find you the lubrication spots image in a minute.
Old December 12, 2012, 11:59 AM   #3
BombthePeasants

here's the image!
Old December 12, 2012, 12:01 PM   #4
BombthePeasants

and here's a link to assuage you as to the shape of the op rod.

http://www.fulton-armory.com/%5Cfaqs...Qs%5COpRod.htm
Old December 12, 2012, 12:08 PM   #5
Slamfire

Quote:
I DO NOT use oil to lubricate it, I know that is a cardinal sin with M1s

Oil is not an evil. It is far better than nothing and oils are outstanding lubricants.

Grease use came about to prevent galling and binding of the bolt lug and operating rod in hot wet conditions. Oil would wash out in those South Pacific rainstorms. So in WW2 they found two fixes: incorporate a roller on the bolt, (not adopted then) or water proof grease. Grease was used and it worked fine in wet hot. Grease does not work fine in cold weather.

The grease they used back then was lubriplate AA130. Any water resistant wheel bearing grease, and I am thinking of those tubes of Marine Lube and trailer wheel bearing lube, will work fine. Just paint it on with a flat artist paint brush.

Then go over everything else with an oily patch.

In cool weather (40’s) wipe off the grease and use oil. In arctic conditions run the rifle dry.
Old December 12, 2012, 12:25 PM   #6
hodaka

I once worried so much about the bend that I thought about straightening it! Later I learned that it is supposed to be slightly bent. Almost became a gun butcher.
Old December 12, 2012, 01:31 PM   #7
kraigwy

Remember, the MI was run dry at Bastonge, Korea, we ran the one's the AK NG had dry during the winter:

Without ill effects. Certainly better then having the freeze up when you need them.

I use grease in the summer, and oil in the winter on mine, if I HAD to use it to defend my self, I'd run it dry in extreme cold weather.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old December 12, 2012, 04:26 PM   #8
Eghad

grease that is recommended by DGR who does primo work om M1 Garands

http://www.amazon.com/Sta-Lube-SL333...034249-8671247

NRA Life Member
Old December 12, 2012, 08:26 PM   #9
30Cal

After you apply the grease, pretty much all of it off. It doesn't need much at all.
Old December 13, 2012, 09:31 PM   #10
'88Scrat

Thanks guys. I was really wondering if I had killed my M1 for a while there.

Peace of mind is nice to have.
Old December 14, 2012, 01:30 AM   #11
chris in va

Goos...frabahhh.

Bang x 8, ping...repeat. Enjoy.