The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 8, 2010, 02:10 PM   #1
LinuxHack3r

12 Gauge Winchester 1OZ slug/3 Pellet Combo

Picked up a box of the Winchester stuff that has 3 OO Pellets as well as a 1 oz slug. What are your thoughts as this as a HD round?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Old October 8, 2010, 02:14 PM   #2
oneounceload

How do they pattern in YOUR gun? That's the most important determination
Old October 8, 2010, 02:23 PM   #3
zippy13

I suspect you'll be happier with Tapatalk than the with the "ball and buck" loads.

Not too long ago there was a thread on the new Winchester loads -- have you tried TFL's recently enabled Tapatalk for searching?
Old October 8, 2010, 02:45 PM   #4
LinuxHack3r

Actually the search feature isn't working for me, different thread. Personally though, is there a reason that you have negative feeling towards the round? Also, haven't had a chance to shoot em yet!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Old October 8, 2010, 03:55 PM   #5
zippy13

Back in February, when the new ammo wasn't yet readily available, I commented:
First, the black on black color scheme is going to have great appeal to the style conscious tacti-cool crowd. I suspect future pics of member's guns are going to include glimpses of the new Winchester rounds.

The duplex load concept is not new, George Washington encouraged his troops to load their revolutionary muskets with buck and ball. During the Seminole Wars (1815-45), buck and ball loads were a standard issue and continued through the Civil War. Winchester's Supreme Elite PDX1 shot-shells are a another twist, with contemporary packaging, on a historically proven concept and will probably become a popular HD load.
Since then I've read read field reports that the slugs are right on target but the balls have a mind of their own. YMMV. Please give us a report on your pattern testing.
Old October 8, 2010, 04:23 PM   #6
markj

Like them multi loads for turkey, they may or may not pattern well. Why not alternate the ammo in the gun? slug first, 00 buck second etc.
Old October 8, 2010, 04:29 PM   #7
Rob228

I tried some out of curiosity a few months ago in an 870 with an 18" cylinder bore barrel.

As previously stated, the slug was pretty close to right on, but at 10 yards I only saw one hole from the buckshot. The recoil was a bit stout, and, most importantly, the hull is longer than the average 2 3/4" and I had quite a bit of ejection trouble, as my 870 is a 2 3/4" only shotgun, and the ejection port wasn't long enough. I can't see myself buying any more in the future.