The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 26, 2006, 04:43 PM   #1
seeker_two

Wilderness Instructor Belt--Which one?

Based on the excellent reviews, I'm planning to order a Wilderness Instructor Belt (1.5" Frequent Flyer model, specifically) for daily wear. The website lists quite a few options for each belt, but I'm not sure what will work best for my needs.

A little bit about myself, first....

I work in a juvenile detention facility, so daily CCW is out. However, I do wear belt holsters when out hunting/woodsbumming (usu. Ruger Blackhawk 6.5" + belt knife) or at the range (Blackhawk, S&W K-38 6", or Firestar M43). I also tend to tuck the Firestar in my waistband when answering the front door or checking out "bumps in the night".

My build is best described as "pear-shaped". 5'11", 300+lb, 48-50" waist w/ a case of the "dun-lop" disease (working on that, though ). No hips....and no butt. I typically have to cinch my leather belts tight to keep from slipping out of my pants completely .

So, based on that info, I have a few questions....

Is the 3-stitch model stiff enough for daily wear w/ jeans (& occasional CCW), or should I opt for the 5-stitch?

Are the plastic rings on the FF model as durable as the metal rings? Are the metal rings worth the extra cost?

Any other web-type belts that I should consider?

Any place in the Waco/Tyler/DFW/Austin area that I could see these belts in person before I order via Internet?

Many thanks in advance......
Old August 26, 2006, 09:31 PM   #2
22-rimfire

I bought one for handgun carry; just didn't like it much. It is a bit too tactical for me. I much prefer a stiff leather belt from Rafters S. They look great and support a gun very nicely. Take a look.

http://www.raftersgunleather.com/
Old August 26, 2006, 09:31 PM   #3
torrejon224

Go for the 5 stitch not that much of a price difference but it gives much better support and stability carrying or not.
Old August 27, 2006, 05:04 PM   #4
KD5NRH

Personally, I like my 5-stitch, and it has no problem with either my Taurus PT99 or my Colt Gov't Model in good IWB holsters. I've got the metal buckle, and I'd have to say it's got a pretty much indestructible feel to it. If all else fails, the belt with that chunk o' steel on it would be a seriously dangerous flail.
Old August 27, 2006, 05:26 PM   #5
symr00

5 stitch
Old August 28, 2006, 08:06 PM   #6
JNewell

I have, frequently wear, and like the 5-stitch, but I would actually say it may be a little on the stiff side if you wear your belt at a place where the upper and lower circumference measurements are somewhat different (how's that for politely put?). The 5-stitch version is almost as still as leather, maybe more so in fact...if you are talking everyday wear you might want to do the 3-stitch. There are many imitators but the Wilderness Belt is still the best.

BTW, I fly with this thing. Just put it in the dish/tray and send it through the x-ray.